Archived Price Match at Checklanes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is a limit. At a certain $ amount, a supervisor override is required.

You also can't do a manual coupon for more than $5 without needing an override either.
Manual or Missed coupon, due to a glitch.

Learned my lesson trying to price match on the checklanes without a mydevice. Guest has an item they want to PM, tell them they need to go to GS, where line was legit 10 deep. They complain about waiting in long lines twice so I ask what the price they were matching was and it was only two dollars less, so I just key it in, no problem.
Thennnn they pull up the OTHER price matches they need...and of course don’t want to go to GS now that they’ve seen I can do it at the register.
As usual, try to be helpful and they’ll take advantage.

Now I only do it if I have a mydevice and the lines at GS are worse than the checklanes.

I’ve also noticed some of our cashiers don’t seem to know/understand the difference between price match and guest price challenge. As in, they’ll enter a new price as a challenge when the guest was trying to price match to another store.

I’ve also noticed some of our cashiers don’t seem to know/understand the difference between price match and guest price challenge. As in, they’ll enter a new price as a challenge when the guest was trying to price match to another store.
Ouch. That’s a pretty big problem. Did you tell them not to do that anymore?

Ouch. That’s a pretty big problem. Did you tell them not to do that anymore?

I’m just a TM so don’t want to overstep by lecturing them. When I’ve seen it happen, I’ve tried to kinda suggest that they might want to check with the GSA next time. And have mentioned it to one of my GSTLs, like that I’ve noticed some other cashiers might not understand the difference between price match and price challenge (without mentioning names). Just gets into awkward territory as I’m not a lead or GSA yet, so have been trying not to overstep my role....still painful to watch preventable mistakes like that.

I’m just a TM so don’t want to overstep by lecturing them. When I’ve seen it happen, I’ve tried to kinda suggest that they might want to check with the GSA next time. And have mentioned it to one of my GSTLs, like that I’ve noticed some other cashiers might not understand the difference between price match and price challenge (without mentioning names). Just gets into awkward territory as I’m not a lead or GSA yet, so have been trying not to overstep my role....still painful to watch preventable mistakes like that.
I understand. It doesn’t hurt to mention things to people when you see them happening, but some people definitely take things the wrong way or feel as if you’re micro-managing them even if you just have their (and the store’s) best interest in mind. I’m glad that you noticed this happening, though

I understand. It doesn’t hurt to mention things to people when you see them happening, but some people definitely take things the wrong way or feel as if you’re micro-managing them even if you just have their (and the store’s) best interest in mind. I’m glad that you noticed this happening, though
Yep, exactly! So as to not overstep, I’ve just started adding to a list on my phone whenever I notice something that I think would be helpful to share. I have a whole long list of suggestions/issues I’ve observed but that aren’t my place to address.
If they’re major issues then I bring up to the appropriate person immediately, but otherwise I guess I just have this list of ideas to use in my reviews/interviews.
If only the ETL “open door policy” really worked..

Yep, exactly! So as to not overstep, I’ve just started adding to a list on my phone whenever I notice something that I think would be helpful to share. I have a whole long list of suggestions/issues I’ve observed but that aren’t my place to address.
If they’re major issues then I bring up to the appropriate person immediately, but otherwise I guess I just have this list of ideas to use in my reviews/interviews.
If only the ETL “open door policy” really worked..

You'd get a lot further with me as your leader if you had more than a list. You'd score big time if you were able to teach other cashiers and have them embrace the correction. Leading your peers.

It would be tons better to say in an interview "I had idea XYZ and took it to my GSTL with the suggestion to implement it in ABC way" than "I have this list of ideas I've done nothing with except keep it on my phone".

You'd get a lot further with me as your leader if you had more than a list. You'd score big time if you were able to teach other cashiers and have them embrace the correction. Leading your peers.

It would be tons better to say in an interview "I had idea XYZ and took it to my GSTL with the suggestion to implement it in ABC way" than "I have this list of ideas I've done nothing with except keep it on my phone".

Agree entirely, in theory.
I was actually spoken to about my “overstepping” as I was seasonal and not over my 90 days yet.

I have been helping other cashiers non-stop. Say that they call a GSA over to help them with a tax-exempt form...the GSA does it for them and sends the guest on their way to be fast and friendly. I’ve been going out of my way to then follow-up with that cashier and show them exactly what the GSA did and how they can do it next time.
Same with rebate checks, gift card inquiries, and other things like that...

Our GSTL's don't want price matching to be done by cashier's at the check lanes, Our STL wants price matching to be done at the check lanes so the guest requesting it doesn't have to be troubled with all of the extra steps. A happy medium, I will price match at a check lane MYSELF when a cashier puts on a blinker for that reason. I always carry a MyDevice so there's no reason I shouldn't do it at a lane. I do make sure the cashier knows that it isn't something they should do on their own without getting the GSTL/GSA involved.

Our GSTL's don't want price matching to be done by cashier's at the check lanes, Our STL wants price matching to be done at the check lanes so the guest requesting it doesn't have to be troubled with all of the extra steps. A happy medium, I will price match at a check lane MYSELF when a cashier puts on a blinker for that reason. I always carry a MyDevice so there's no reason I shouldn't do it at a lane. I do make sure the cashier knows that it isn't something they should do on their own without getting the GSTL/GSA involved.

This seems like the ideal situation (assuming the GSA is available with their mydevice)!

This seems like the ideal situation (assuming the GSA is available with their mydevice)!

Agreed. If you're the opening GSTL/GSA, you can forget about any chance of a MyDevice being available for you, as they are all being used by flow/pricing/POG/WHATEVER, but there's always the myCheckout device that you can use in a pinch (it's a bitch to carry around with you).

Wow asants really. Our GSAs always have a mydevice no problem.

The mycheckout devices...oh god! Never available/functioning.

Yeah, we tried hiding one at close so there would at least be ONE for GS in the early hours of the day, same thing with a PDA, but the ETL-Logistics found out and went ape shit.

Haha our SD always has a mycheckout and a PDA (with chargers!). Don’t get too jealous though since the mycheckout function doesn’t work 90% of the time

Haha our SD always has a mycheckout and a PDA (with chargers!). Don’t get too jealous though since the mycheckout function doesn’t work 90% of the time

We don't really use the mycheckout device for ordering things for guests, but when I have used it, I haven't had any trouble with it. *knocks on wood*

From an AP standpoint, my spidey senses tingle every time I see a price match being attempted by a guest.

"Misplaced product (aka YOU HAD THIS ITEM IN THE WRONG PLACE ON THE SHELF AND NOW I WANT IT CHEEEAAAAP)," fake coupons, fake Cartwheel, trying to get prices matched from Ebay or Craigslist... the possibilities are endless!

I believe that people are less likely to try this crap if there's extra effort involved (you have to go to Guest Services, sorry!). I feel like more people are going to abuse this if it's easier to price match, especially if they see new cashier TMs at the registers.

Last edited:
From an AP standpoint, my spidey senses tingle every time I see a price match being attempted by a guest.

"Misplaced product (aka YOU HAD THIS ITEM IN THE WRONG PLACE ON THE SHELF AND NOW I WANT IT CHEEEAAAAP)," fake coupons, fake Cartwheel, trying to get prices matched from Ebay or Craigslist... the possibilities are endless!

I believe that people are less likely to try this crap if there's extra effort involved (you have to go to Guest Services, sorry!). I feel like more people are going to abuse this if it's easier to price match, especially if they see new cashier TMs at the registers.

Totally get your point of view. Our cashiers know that price match isn't something they can do themselves at a lane, but if the situation arises at a lane and I'm made aware, I will go ahead and verify the price match through the app on the myDevice, and take care of it for them there. I don't think guests will see opportunity to take advantage when they see the cashier call for a supervisor who then verifies the price match in front of them.

have mentioned it to one of my GSTLs, like that I’ve noticed some other cashiers might not understand the difference between price match and price challenge (without mentioning names). Just gets into awkward territory as I’m not a lead or GSA yet, so have been trying not to overstep my role....still painful to watch preventable mistakes like that.

This mistake can be extra problematic if the cashiers were ringing up other TMs since they are not supposed to do price challenges as employees. It would be sad if these TMs got in trouble for just price matching simply because it was entered incorrectly as a price challenge. I think that it is is good that you told a GSTL about the issue. Good job! Hopefully, the GSTL will do something to correct this problem before any cashiers get in trouble.

myWork is disappearing from the Checkout devices soon. I got sent a replacement checkout that wouldn't download the Checkout application and no matter how many times I called the CSC they said they have no way to push it. It has to be reconfigured as a checkout device meaning it won't have myWork on it.
Currently, my checkpoint devices are not working. My work is barely functional. No ideas why after contacting csc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back