Archived Promo Gift Card Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found plenty of 5 dollar promo gift cards left behind at registers and I always turn them into guest service. But I found a dollar bill on the floor by the checkout lanes once and kept it, could I get in trouble if that happened again? Also I saw a 5 dollar bill and some other bills laying down close to card wall on my way out one day and I thought about picking it up but I didn't. I didn't turn it in or anything because I didn't wanna bother with it but it was there for at least 20 minutes. I figured whoever left it would come back but who knows. I would never use a promo gift card I've found because I know they can track that stuff and that's a dumb thing to do. But a crumpled up dollar bill? Would anyone care? It wasn't like it fell out of the drawer it was on the other side of the register.

Think of it this way; is it worth losing your job? That could be considered theft, since most likely that money belonged to a guest. One dollar to gain is not worth losing my job. Stealing a lot of money? Not worth losing my job AND getting thrown in jail, fines, criminal record, etc.

Sometimes Target's AP team will let you steal just enough so they can build a case against you and hand you over to the cops on a silver platter. I have seen it at my store plenty of times in the past.

Think of it this way; is it worth losing your job? That could be considered theft, since most likely that money belonged to a guest. One dollar to gain is not worth losing my job. Stealing a lot of money? Not worth losing my job AND getting thrown in jail, fines, criminal record, etc.

Sometimes Target's AP team will let you steal just enough so they can build a case against you and hand you over to the cops on a silver platter. I have seen it at my store plenty of times in the past.
Many times they will try to build it up to a felony first.

Question....another TM found a "free Starbucks" coupon in the parking lot and used it. Another TM told her she could be termed for doing so because that is also technically considered "stealing" in Big Brother's eyes. I saw the coupon and it was very obviously "found" and not pilfered straight from the catalina printer (or the TM did one hell of a job making it LOOK "found," including making it look run over by a vehicle, rained on, etc.). True???

Not sure. I know you're not allowed to keep them if a guest leaves them behind or tries to give them to you. That's a big no-no. But finding one in the parking lot sounds like fair game to me. Target doesn't even own the parking lot usually. But I wouldn't risk it without having conformation from a solid source.

I've had guests leave coupons behind that they didn't want & I would offer them up to other TMs.
We had a cashier who ALWAYS had a coupon when she came over to get her drink (usually pretty pricey).
The TL noticed it too & mentioned it to AP who watched her a little.
Turns out she seldom gave guests their coupons that printed out & would go thru them for her own use.
She wasn't termed yet but she did get coached.

I was at a store where a handful of cashiers were termed at once for signing up nonexistent people for redcards with made up SSNs. I will never know how so many of them thought they would get away with that.

When I was just a seasonal cashier, one of my GSA's would do that if it didn't look like we were going to make goal.

I was at a store where a handful of cashiers were termed at once for signing up nonexistent people for redcards with made up SSNs. I will never know how so many of them thought they would get away with that.
When I was just a seasonal cashier, one of my GSA's would do that if it didn't look like we were going to make goal.

Honestly, I feel that people who pull that crap should be turned in to the Social Security Administration, or what ever Federal agency that investigates that, for the SSN fraud.
There's a good chance of one of the "made up" SS#' actually being assigned to someone, somewhere, and having a store card signed up using their number can be a major pain in the ass to remove and recover the credit score.

hmm I don't know... I mean I think there is a difference between stealing a gift card from a guest and using a coupon that printed out, now I just leave them on the counter for other guests but if by the end of the shift no one takes them I just put them in the break room.

hmm I don't know... I mean I think there is a difference between stealing a gift card from a guest and using a coupon that printed out, now I just leave them on the counter for other guests but if by the end of the shift no one takes them I just put them in the break room.

That's definitely a no-no, give them to your GSA/GSTL.

I'll leave coupons that guests don't want on the counter and if they're still there by the time I take my break, I'll throw them in the garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back