Archived Pull/Don't Pull Starting Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I work Backroom Day. I used to pull all of the pogs at night and have them ready for the pog team in the morning. The truck team would usually get the whole truck backstocked, but not always. Well, they kept leaving more and more backstock so I was eventually told not to pull anything at night, only backstock. STL, ETLs, and TLs would still tell me to pull, so I had to. Eventually, everyone got on the same page and I only backstocked.

Recently, the STL has told me to pull salesplanners for the morning. My hours have also been cut. I only have time to pull CAFs, setup the line, and pull PCs. I used to have an hour to backstock depending on how big the PCs were and how much cardboard was left for me to throw/make a bale. Now I can't backstock at all, if I have to pull. Anyone have any advice?

These are reasons not to pull at night:
  1. Has to be put on pallet, which can be worked before 8, but has to be transferred if worked after 8.
  2. No room for pallets
  3. Not able to backstock
These are reasons to pull at night:
  1. POG team comes in at 6 and BR day comes at 7
  2. No vehicles during the morning
  3. Harder to pull with all of the truck backstock
Obviously, if you have someone pulling at night, the daytime person doesn't need to pull as much, so he can backstock more. I don't know...

Backroom Day has the unfortunate position of being the crossroads of the store. Everybody has something they want us to do whether it's finishing up work left behind or trying to get someone else ahead. Due to this, every store has different ideas on what we should be focusing on.

TECHNICALLY, the POG teams' hours are allocated to include the time it takes to pull and backstock the items they are messing with independent of the stores' sales volume, including salesplanners. Technically, the backroom shouldn't have to mess with pog stuff at all unless they actually give backroom some of the planogram hours to do it. However, I have never seen it actually followed.

The only advise I can give you when the leadership staff is screwing your workload is this:
Partner with either your TL or the LOD, show them what all is on your plate and try to come up with a realistic list of stuff that can get done as well as what they feel you should prioritize. Follow up with them again at the end of the night. This covers your ass if overnight complains.

Thanks! Whether I'm pulling or backstocking, I can't get much done in an hour. I'll just do what I'm told by the LOD and tell the ETL-Log that that's what I was told to do. Most of the time the LOD leaves me alone, except when it's the STL.

I'll just do what I'm told by the LOD and tell the ETL-Log that that's what I was told to do.

Sad thing is, I have actually started doing almost the exact opposite as our daytime LOD staff has made it clear they DGAF what goes on in the backroom until around 7pm or so (when it's too damn late to matter). I worked out with the overnight TLs and ETL what they would prefer we got done and what we leave behind. It has worked much better for all of us.

I don't recommend doing that as it really only works when the daytime LOD staff is full of idiot college kids with no experience and neglectful burnouts.

That's what I do for the Flow-TL. However, he tells me not to setup the line a certain way, but then the STL tells me to do it that way, so I'm stuck. The ETL-Log isn't talking to me right now, but that's okay.

Do whatever the highest ranking person tells you to do. That's the way to keep your job at Target. If your STL says do something one way, do it that way unless an ETL says to do it a different way and that they'll cover your ass if the STL has a problem with it.

It's the whole "too many chiefs" problem which exists at many a job. All the bosses wanna boss and when they want something different it can get frustrating. I guess bowing to the highest ranking person is safe advice but I never really got any instruction from our STL.

I would follow the instruction of the boss I saw most often which in my case was one of our Log TL. I saw the ETL pretty often but he usually just had something he wanted us to focus on for the day, never a solid "going forward" plan.

For a while I was lucky to avoid most of the shifts that had the PDA full of POGs. We certainly pulled and backstocked most everyone's shit though a couple of the POG team peeps would be back there pulling their stuff same day, sometimes.

When I first started the Flow Team was boss and most of our backstock was just the daily crap that came back from the CAFs. If we had the right closer (me or another guy who is now also gone) back then we could get the line set and both GM and Grocery backstocked including the coolers and freezer.

More recently we got stuck where you are. Way too much crap left for the closer to do. I always felt like I spent half the night just pushing vehicles where they needed to be and cleaning up peoples messes. Trying to get to backstock was just laughable and though I felt bad all I could say was oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back