Archived Punching in 5 minutes early

Status
Not open for further replies.

antivibe

Salesfloor TL
I know you can get in trouble if you punch in five minutes past scheduled. You automatically hear "XYZ you are coming up past scheduled. Please stop what you are doing and head out." I've never heard an etl complain about people punching in five minutes early. I know the time clock allows you to punch in five minutes early. But, is it bad to punch in five minutes early all the time?

You want to punch in as close to assigned time as possible.
That said if you pick up a couple of three minutes every once in a while there isn't going to be a big problem.
Just don't be that guy, you know the one whose time card has exactly 5 minutes extra tacked on the front and back of his shift every single day.
That makes them cranky.

I do it as much as I can...no one has ever said anything to me. Now, if you are scheduled at exactly 40 hours for the week, then they probably would have a problem with you building in nearly a half hour of over time.

When I was hired, I said to HR, "so I assume that being here at a certain time means being at my station and ready to work then...not just punching in exactly on the button and taking time to get settled in the TSC." She looked amazed that I asked the question, and then explained the five minute thing. If you are out on the floor or doing whatever after you punch in, I'm sure it's fine.

You want to punch in as close to assigned time as possible.
That said if you pick up a couple of three minutes every once in a while there isn't going to be a big problem.
Just don't be that guy, you know the one whose time card has exactly 5 minutes extra tacked on the front and back of his shift every single day.
That makes them cranky.

Yeah, I NEVER do it on the back end...they start panicking at my store at one minute after. Three would give them a heart attack and five would kill them.

lol love your name...the anti vibe!
I know you can get in trouble if you punch in five minutes past scheduled. You automatically hear "XYZ you are coming up past scheduled. Please stop what you are doing and head out." I've never heard an etl complain about people punching in five minutes early. I know the time clock allows you to punch in five minutes early. But, is it bad to punch in five minutes early all the time?

Someone at my store figured out that of you punch in 5 mn early ,the store will get dinged ( for whatever reason it is important ,I do not know) ,so we clock in 4 mn early ! And we can clock out up to 10mn past our time without affecting some kind of score!

Dear God, I wonder if they score us each time someone with red and khaki walks into the bathroom and how long they are in there.

Or how much Family Feud gets watched in a day in the break room....

We have huge signs by the clock,and by the schedule reminding us to clock in no earlier than 4 mn before our shift,also if someone clocks in 5 mn before,they show up on some kind of report !
ongles.gif

We have green scores in so many areas...there are tons of reward for the stl all over tsc to prove it....
0026.gif

I pretty much always clock in 5 minutes early. Just because I want to get there and get everything over with.
Starting a shift is the worst for me. I can't seem to get in the groove of things unless I'm there a bit early so I can get the feel of the area.

Yep...I need to be there early to get that groove on. If I'm walking in exactly on time, I feel off and have a hard time just catching up and getting settled in properly...like I'm missing something. It's especially helpful if you are taking over a department, so there are a couple of minutes to get things up to speed for the next person.

I nearly always clock in 5 early so that I can check my email, gear up, status with the other GSTL/GSAs and hit the floor on time. No one has complained. Sure we have an hour a week to do paperwork (no that probably isn't enough time) and some GSTLs spend their lives in the office "doing paperwork" (or playing on their phones) but I figure my job in on the floor and clocking in 5 minutes early helps me accomplish that.

I usually punch in a couple of minutes after my scheduled time, due to others all trying to punch in at the same time......& taking their dear, sweet time.

As for punching out, I rarely make it out on time. I usually end up there around 10 minutes or more after my shift. 99.9% of the time, it's due to either being in the middle of helping a guest or being stuck on checklanes for guest first. If it were up to me, I'd drop & run, but I won't leave a guest hanging & tick them off by hurrying away.

And I did have this one instance where I got there on time, grabbed an LPDA & walkie, then proceeded to get the run-down on what was up for that morning.......only to remember I forgot to punch in. I rushed over & clocked in, then realized I should have just done a punch correction. I think I punched in around 9 minutes late. Never heard anything from anyone, so hopefully it's good. I'm never "late". I just wish I could leave on time regularly.

Every single day since I got hired, I've clocked in 5 minutes before shift... and every single day, I clock out 5-10 minutes AFTER my shift. I work in Electronics, so I have to wait for my closer to come in, versus just leaving. No one has EVER said anything to me about this before... and I am actually working, or preparing for work, during those extra 10-15 minutes.

Your ETL-HR will probably get mad at you because if you're clocking in on that 5th minute you will effect his/her In/Out on time Team Score. Clock out at the 4th minute and you won't be throwing anything off, thus going mostly unnoticed.

Ex. Start time is 2:00, clock in at 1:54

I usually leave for work about 30 minutes early, so depending on traffic, i end up sitting around anywhere from 10-15 minutes waiting to punch in. This thread has convinced me that, like Johnny Cash at the old GM plant, i should clock in 5 minutes early and clock out 10 minutes later. One piece at a time, i'll own me a shiny new Cadillac one day

I'm amazed at all of you who can clock out 10 minutes late. If you are 2 minutes late, the LOD is on their walkie making sure you are on a straight and narrow path to the time clock.

I clock in 5 minutes before my shift and clock out when I'm finished with my work. Could be 5 minutes before or up to 15 minutes after my scheduled shift. No one has complained to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back