Archived Question about HR confidentiality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a discussion with the ETL-HR, door closed, just me in her office. About a couple weeks ago. Long story short I had somebody in the store who was giving me grief and I wanted to discuss this with HR. The next day, the Team Lead for Market, who I rarely work with and had nothing to do with the conflict, was teasing me a bit about what had happened, even mentioning specifically he'd heard about my meeting with ETL-HR.

The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way. Why would anyone except those directly involved need to know anything at all? Who else has HR told?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm unclear what is inappropate versus what is okay.

I'd speak to the HR again, asking if you had an unrealistic expectation of confidentiality when you came to her before.
Mention about hearing from people completely unconnected to the matter & ask what you should expect in terms of trust.
Even if she apologizes & promises privacy, I'd avoid going to her henceforth.

If HR is going to do anything about the issue, they will need to address it with someone (ETL(s), STL, the person who was harassing you), so it may not have been the HR person but possibly someone else they talked to about it.

Either way, for any leaders to be talking about it is shitty, and for a TL to tease you about it is ever way further over the line. Talk to HR about it and mention you were now getting teased by team leads about it and you are concerned about how your issue is being handled.

It could also be that a busybody TM (or three) knew about the TM giving you grief and saw you leaving or entering HR's office and put 2 and 2 together and gossiped about it.

Walls have ears too.

Very true. I remember that there was this one time when I had a conversation with my ETL in their office. After I had finished, I opened the door to find a TL standing outside, listening. I was like, WTH?! :eek:

If HR is going to do anything about the issue, they will need to address it with someone (ETL(s), STL, the person who was harassing you), so it may not have been the HR person but possibly someone else they talked to about it.

Either way, for any leaders to be talking about it is shitty, and for a TL to tease you about it is ever way further over the line. Talk to HR about it and mention you were now getting teased by team leads about it and you are concerned about how your issue is being handled.

It could also be that a busybody TM (or three) knew about the TM giving you grief and saw you leaving or entering HR's office and put 2 and 2 together and gossiped about it.

This.

I had a discussion with the ETL-HR, door closed, just me in her office. About a couple weeks ago. Long story short I had somebody in the store who was giving me grief and I wanted to discuss this with HR. The next day, the Team Lead for Market, who I rarely work with and had nothing to do with the conflict, was teasing me a bit about what had happened, even mentioning specifically he'd heard about my meeting with ETL-HR.

The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way. Why would anyone except those directly involved need to know anything at all? Who else has HR told?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm unclear what is inappropate versus what is okay.

ASANTS I think for some stores. I have gotten to the point over the last few years though I will not even speak about certain things unless its ok for all ETL's to know about it because I know they all talk about everything. I don't necessarily mean that in a rumor sort of way, it just comes out in discussions....this person feels this way....this person said this....this person wants to do this etc.

ASANTS. I had some ETL-HRs that followed policy and remained confidential. Others who did what they want or went behind your back.

If you preface what you say by saying you want it kept confidential and you know there's no one outside the door to hear it and it still gets around then I personally from that moment going forward would have issues with why the person I told doesn't understand the words coming out of my mouth. Of course, I could be overreacting to logic & reason.

I would speak to the hr and explain to them that another tm was talking about what you had talked to the hr about . Then ask them how this happened ? You can usually tell by how they act if they are guilty of running their mouths. Like others have said if someone is walking by the door ( even if its closed ) they can over hear things and yes some will stand there and listen. Either way I would follow up with Hr if that doesn't go well then I would call the hotline .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back