Archived Question about Sales Floor task

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithtarget

datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
So, I was on Sales Floor this morning and I was given a task to go to the D28 endcap. There was a cart of seasonal picture frames and a bunch of frames on that endcap. I had to go through and sort ones that were "Active" verses ones that were "Clearance-PLU".

Then I took out the old labels and put up the new set with the picture frames that were "Active" for that endcap. My question is do I need to do anything with the picture frames labeled as "Clearance-PLU" or do they just need to go into the clearance section of Easter seasonal?

I asked several workers to explain what "Clearance-PLU" meant and they were making it so complicated to understand.

Clearance-PLU is clearance that is not marked with a ticket. It can just go with the other clearance Easter product. Ticketed-clearance obviously has a ticket on it and there are a few different things that can happen with it (endcaps, down the aisle, home location, etc) depending on what is going on with the aisle.

The reason for the different in the two types of clearance is for accounting purposes. When Target puts a ticket on an item, it has better control over the decrease in margin. It is able to better control when something will have further markdowns, and takes the "hit" on the margin as soon as it is ticketed. Seasonal product (Christmas, Easter, Halloween) does not typically get ticketed because the entire section will markdown at the same time. The only major "holiday" that has a significant amount of both ticketed and PLU is back to school. You can tell how well the BTS season was depending on how much PLU vs. ticketed clearance you have. If the company saw good sell through, it will go PLU. If not, it is ticketed to control margin.

Hope that answered your question. If not, let me know and I can try again.

Anyone know what PLU actually stands for? Plano TL says it's "presentation looks ugly"..he's a funny guy

Hahah that's a good one. As far as the PLU code that's on produce, it's Price Look Up. I'm not sure if Target's clearance application quite matches that definition. However, I've never learned another explanation behind the acronym.

The reason for the different in the two types of clearance is for accounting purposes. When Target puts a ticket on an item, it has better control over the decrease in margin. It is able to better control when something will have further markdowns, and takes the "hit" on the margin as soon as it is ticketed. Seasonal product (Christmas, Easter, Halloween) does not typically get ticketed because the entire section will markdown at the same time. The only major "holiday" that has a significant amount of both ticketed and PLU is back to school. You can tell how well the BTS season was depending on how much PLU vs. ticketed clearance you have. If the company saw good sell through, it will go PLU. If not, it is ticketed to control margin.

Hope that answered your question. If not, let me know and I can try again.

What do you mean accounting purposes? They still keep track of what is selling at what percentage off I would think. Like candy immediately goes 30 while everything else goes 50. I always thought it just had to do with the amount of clearance and wanting to move it out the door fast. If you could explain further I'd really appreciate it.

What do you mean accounting purposes? They still keep track of what is selling at what percentage off I would think. Like candy immediately goes 30 while everything else goes 50. I always thought it just had to do with the amount of clearance and wanting to move it out the door fast. If you could explain further I'd really appreciate it.

I believe he means that we want to retain granular control of our losses on ticketed clearance product. Instead of blindly marking all product down a set amount, Spot can pick and choose when to mark down based upon what is selling vs not selling. While a particular store may not see a huge difference like this, across the company this can amount to a huge savings.

I've just never seen actual holiday merchandise go anything but PLU most of the time whether there's a ton of it leftover or not (that one year we ran out of candy before Halloween and Christmas). I just always thought it had to do with it being an entire department (seasonal and mini), the actual benefit of ticketing the merch vs cost, getting merch to move to make sapce for the next holiday, and trying to capture sales on seasonal merch before it's no longer relevant.

Last edited:
One thing to remember about PLU clearance as opposed to ticketed clearance:

When you scan a PLU clearance item on a register (Price Inquiry) or PDA (Item Search), the clearance price will appear to be a "sale" price, and the original price will be shown as the "regular" price. With ticketed clearance, however, the register or PDA will show that the "regular" price is the clearance price rather than the original price (because the markdown is shown on the clearance ticket).

Its better if you check all seasonal merchandise the day before it goes PLU and start moving it to the seasonal area. It will up sales in seasonal and help the PC team because everything they will need to scan throughout the store that has gone PLU will already be there ! :)

Its better if you check all seasonal merchandise the day before it goes PLU and start moving it to the seasonal area. It will up sales in seasonal and help the PC team because everything they will need to scan throughout the store that has gone PLU will already be there ! :)

For those who don't know, if you scan such merchandise on the PDA, it will say Pending CLR-PLU or something like that.

Also, for See Spot Save merchandise, everything that is PLU clearance should have the same color symbol on the tag, as each new set has a different symbol. For example, items from the Easter set had a black dot. This makes it easier to separate PLU clearance from the rest of SSS without having to scan every single item.

You will also notice that PLU is generally done on price marked items like seasonal or SSS. Saves considerable man power in clearancing the products.

You will also notice that PLU is generally done on price marked items like seasonal or SSS. Saves considerable man power in clearancing the products.

Forgot about this. This was another reason I thought holiday went PLU vs. ticketed. It's already marked with the price.

Thank you guys so much for the help, it really cleared it up for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back