Archived Question About Solicitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love to bake so a sometimes bake and sell my goods for a little extra cash. I mostly sell to my target co-workers. They usually just tell me what they want and I give it to them when I see them at work because its convenient. I have never had any complaints from anyone in management or otherwise until very recently. I spoke to our STL about it and she said that as long as I am not doing it while I am on the clock I should be fine. She even said during my fifteen or thirty would be acceptable.

I think the main concern from my etl, and I am only guessing since he didn't speak to me directly is that I bring the baked goods to work and try to sell them when its really the opposite.

I really don't know what I want to do about it because I do have regulars and I kind of feel like I would be doing them a disservice but I don't want to have it be a job threatening issue either.

I'm unsure if I should even talk to my etl about it since he never said anything to me about it and what I should say. Should I just tell him I'll stop or should I ask him what he would consider unacceptable?

I don't talk to guests about it, I don't hand out flyers to guests, and it's never been in your face with the co-workers either. I guess I just feel a little burned by the way he chose to handle the situation.

Advice?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it selling if it's all done in the breakroom (just not on the floor). If you're really worried you can always give products to them in the store and get paid outside to avoid a conflict of interest!

It's been a while since I last saw my handbook, but I'm fairly certain it said no solicitation. That said, if you're not harassing anyone (especially guests) and your STL is ok with it, then I don't see a problem.

It sounds fine to me! As long as your exec's know that you aren't setting up a table and advertising your baking in the store, there shouldn't be a problem

OP, I think you're okay. The STL does not seem too concerned about it, so you shouldn't worry.

Bake away!

Thanks guys. I think I'll just be a little more careful about when I accept payment and such and I should be ok.

I thought they changed the TM Handbook recently so that sort of "break room sales" were allowed? I'll have to go back and look, but I swear I remember my HR making a point that you could fundraise or whatever in the breakroom on your breaks. I could be wrong, though.

We had TMs do this all the time, bake away! Just keep it off the clock, on 15 min breaks, or 30 min break and there isn't an issue. Even better that your STL supports it.

Your STL must like you. We had someone selling makeup, another selling jewelry and one selling tamales during Christmas. They were all told not to do it... even though it was during breaks.

We have a GUEST soliciting other guests for like the past three months around 9pm like clockwork for some phony business. He talks about something with them, handshake included, and I often see people on their phones while talking to him. He gave my coworker a business card one time and I typed in the url on my phone and a site came up advertising some kind of startup scam. Some of it looked copied and pasted from other businesses ("we have worked with Microsoft(R), Cisco(R), Pfizer(R)...") so I typed in a few phrases to Google and sure enough, other scammy businesses came up with the same spiel.

Told two ETLs, the STL, and a TL and only the TL cared.

She's super nice and she was surprised that it was an issue at all. I think my etl had a problem with me putting the baked goods in the our guest service drawer. Which in hindsight I understand now. I wonder if other stores have a junk drawer at their guest services? We call it a gum drawer. Sometimes if I work somewhere for a long time I think I get too comfortable and this was a reminder that it's still a place of work,

We usually direct solicitors to AP in our store and they make them go away.

Sounds like your leadership is cautious but ok with it.
We have TMs selling Girl Scout cookies, wrapping paper, popcorn tins & just about any other school fundraiser you can imagine. The rule is not to harass & make sure everybody gets their order.

We had a 'guest' soliciting for a kids' photo studio one time; she was trolling the toy aisles & telling moms how 'photogenic' their children were before passing out cards. After hearing from several moms, our AP told her to leave. She kept arguing that she was 'in a public place' & he said "no, you're in a BUSINESS" before he threatened to trespass her.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you don't leave flyers or burn anyone.
Hehe, get it, burn, baking, I'm such a child.
You will be fine.
TM fundraise for there kids all the time, so I don't see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back