Archived Question about Time Off requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am nearly never absent from work, and if I will be I always call. The only exceptions to this have been when I've mixed up one week with another or some other snafu. That being said, I went and requested to have my Tuesday evenings off because they are frequently a good opportunity for me to have some fun in my week, and I am always a Tuesday closer. Of course, I was in such a rush after my Sunday morning shift a few weeks ago to get off work that I forgot to do it by the Sunday deadline. So I knew I'd have to wait another week for my free Tuesday. I put in a request that next day, and saw that no one had approved it a couple days later.

I got with my ETL-HR and he made the change for me. Keep in mind, this is the week of 5/23-5/29. This week, the week of 6/9-6/15, I was scheduled for a closing shift. I was under the impression that since my request went through three weeks prior that I was fine, because it's a two week window that they post the schedule under. (For example, the schedule for this week was posted on Thursday, May 30).

My ETL-HR is off right now and when contacted said it was still up to me to have fixed the shift, but I am under the impression that when I alerted them that my scheduled shift was outside of my availability I was several days ahead of the cutoff point.

I feel awful knowing that I've got this no-call no-show over my head right now, and I'm just trying to make some sense of it. I felt as though I went through the right channels. I don't have the exact dates in front of me, but I'm fairly sure it was midweek of the week of 5/23 that I posted the change, which is three scheduled weeks ahead of this one.

Was I still too late?

I have this habit of not deleting my approved time off emails until the schedule is made. This way if they schedule me (and they usually do), I can pull up that email and show them it was requested.

I would suggest you change your availability to have Tuesdays off if you want them off indefinetly. It may not be approved but you can at least try.

Never expect your time off is set in stone until you see the schedule.

Long time ago (when they only made the next week schedule), I had a Sunday-Sunday leave approved to go back home from school. I got a call saying I was scheduled the Sunday I was supposed to travel back to school. But because it was a clerical error, they reversed the NCNS.

As HM suggested, the email for the request should still be in MAX unless you deleted it. I just recently deleted ALL of my previous requests because I'm terrible about "cleaning out my inbox"...I had some that were from when I started X years ago~LOL!

I would suggest you change your availability to have Tuesdays off if you want them off indefinetly. It may not be approved but you can at least try.

It is my understanding that they cannot deny an availability change, unless you make it so ridiculous that it's impossible to schedule. There are people at our store that have their availability so "tight" that they basically have a "set" 9-5, M-F schedule, which is soooo unfair to the rest of the TMs in that department....

My store can & will deny avail changes unless it's hardship (unable to secure childcare) or education (class schedule). Even then they may deny those cases if they want to performance you out the door.
If you're otherwise hard-working & flexible, they will attempt to accommodate but they've become pretty hard-nosed after noting long-timers who always had plum hrs & were unwilling to change according to store needs.
Couple that with all the newbs who 'suddenly' change their avails once their 90 days are up & they look at ANY avail changes with a jaundiced eye.

It is my understanding that they cannot deny an availability change, unless you make it so ridiculous that it's impossible to schedule. There are people at our store that have their availability so "tight" that they basically have a "set" 9-5, M-F schedule, which is soooo unfair to the rest of the TMs in that department....

Sometimes people have other jobs and need that to be there schedule. If Target really had an issue with it they would just not schedule those team members any hours, or drastically cut hours. I used to have a pretty nice schedule in terms of a work life balance and anytime someone would complain about it I would tell them they can wake up 3am to get to this job to not have to work weekends

As HM suggested, the email for the request should still be in MAX unless you deleted it. I just recently deleted ALL of my previous requests because I'm terrible about "cleaning out my inbox"...I had some that were from when I started X years ago~LOL!

In over 2.5 years of working for the big red, I've never deleted a single message from MAX. And between school and my other job, I've had plenty of availability changes (none of which were denied, amazingly enough).

Sometimes people have other jobs and need that to be there schedule. If Target really had an issue with it they would just not schedule those team members any hours, or drastically cut hours. I used to have a pretty nice schedule in terms of a work life balance and anytime someone would complain about it I would tell them they can wake up 3am to get to this job to not have to work weekends
^^ is what I usually hear of them doing, at least at my store. We had a TM who "suddenly" was not available Fri-Sun once her 90-days were over. It was rather funny that Spot "suddenly" didn't need her all that much either....needless to say, after about a month of 12 hr work weeks, she "suddenly" had weekends available again. They didn't schedule her every weekend, but she got the point ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back