Archived Question about using the ticket gun, while pushing market. (Backroom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was briefly explained to me, but I try to stay in the backroom, pulling, backstocking, etc. My team members enjoy pushing more than I do, so I try to leave it them. When I am pushing, it's usually domestics, chemicals, or furniture. I'm not exactly certain which date to stamp on the baked goods, where to find it, and why we need to do it. I'd prefer not to ask the guy that trained me, as I feel that ship has sailed, so if you guys could help me out, that would be just dandy.

I'm not sure if all stores do this, but at my store, the shelf life (in days) is the very small number on the bottom right corner of the price label. All items that don't already have an expiration date on the packaging have their shelf life on the price label. So if you're pushing packages of cookies with a shelf life of x days, the number x will be on the price label, so you set the date on the gun to x days from today. There are multiple types of date labels (you don't want to put bakery labels on meat, for example), so if you're pushing a frozen pull, you may want to carry multiple guns.

yes, it is on the top right of the price label "SL xx". SL stands for "Shelf Life". All the bakery and some meat come in frozen, they can stay frozen for like forever and still be good. Once the items are put on the shelf it needs an expiration date on them, cause they go bad, depending on how they where made, some last longer than other. We need this expiration date on them so we know when to qmos them. If you do not put a date on them they will get qmosd right away. Most of the breakfast and bread items have a short date of 3, 5 or 7 days, so don't over fill thes as they will have to be qmosd sooner. The cookies and cakes tend to have longer dates like 30, 60, 140, 156 or I've even seen on about 180 days. For some strange reason the apple and pumpkin pies only have a shelf life of 5 days. The only meat we currently have are some breakfast links (jimmy dean), some Archer Farms hot dog links. At our store we currently do not have any deli items.

Don't even get me started on how to load those "Monarch" expiration guns... you need to be a rocket scientists to do this.
This is the one we use at our store: http://www.monarch.averydennison.com/products/documents/IPSDocuments/Monarch%20Model%201110%20Labeler_08.pdf

here are the instructions on How to load: http://www.monarch.averydennison.com/support/documents/1000oi_de.pdf

and do NOT forget those ADJUSTMENT instructions this is to get the dates to appear in order. Some flow TM don't care if the date looks like "13 11-29-". PLEASE just adjust the gun so the year does not show up first, it is that simple. I guess they don't have 2 small coins to use, lol.

don't open that little door on the gun, unless you want to change the ink, dumb a$$

Hope this helps everyone get those "Monarch" guns loaded and printed correctly.

Last edited:
Don't even get me started on how to load those "Monarch" expiration guns... you need to be a rocket scientists to do this.

That's why I recommend using multiple Monarchs (now that I know what they're called) if you're pushing frozen. Of course, if you use up a roll of stickers, then you're SOL.

If your store has the item's capacity marked on the label, be sure to follow that as well to avoid overstocking, because bakery can't go back in the freezer to be backstocked once it has thawed on the shelf. If they don't have the capacity labeled and you want your PA's to love you forever, use item search while you push and you can find the capacity there as well. Click the little book-looking thing in the upper-right hand corner, and then click sales floor in the next menu. This is also how I check pull times to hunt down the people who load the meat rack the wrong way muahahaha...

Last edited:
I rarely teach anyone how to load the Monarch guns as it is VERY good Job Security.
My favorite tm actually looked up the product manual one night. I of course was shown once and figured it out by trial and error. But yup, get to do it all the time.

My favorite tm actually looked up the product manual one night. I of course was shown once and figured it out by trial and error. But yup, get to do it all the time.
The stupid things come with instructions when you order a new one, but I don't remember if it had the rest of it them like the adjustment part. Also best by tickets for life. No deli/meat/dairy/bakery. Just best by.

It was briefly explained to me, but I try to stay in the backroom, pulling, backstocking, etc. My team members enjoy pushing more than I do, so I try to leave it them. When I am pushing, it's usually domestics, chemicals, or furniture. I'm not exactly certain which date to stamp on the baked goods, where to find it, and why we need to do it. I'd prefer not to ask the guy that trained me, as I feel that ship has sailed, so if you guys could help me out, that would be just dandy.

Also... Ask the guy that trained you, he is more than likely a PA (Perishables Assistant). And I could tell you as a PA myself, I wish TM's asked more questions when they work in my area because it is impossible to cover everything, also it shows that you want to do a good job, and if it is NOT pushed correctly, it means the PA will have a harder job in the not so distant future.

Also... Ask the guy that trained you, he is more than likely a PA (Perishables Assistant). And I could tell you as a PA myself, I wish TM's asked more questions when they work in my area because it is impossible to cover everything, also it shows that you want to do a good job, and if it is NOT pushed correctly, it means the PA will have a harder job in the not so distant future.
Yeah, someone I taught how to label bakery forgot if they should include that day or not so they just put it out undated. >_>

I picked up the scones in pfresh today and noticed it had the little white sticker from the gun but the date was written in ink. Even I who rarely works pfresh knows how to move the numbers to get the date. At least ours are dated, that's what matters

I picked up the scones in pfresh today and noticed it had the little white sticker from the gun but the date was written in ink. Even I who rarely works pfresh knows how to move the numbers to get the date. At least ours are dated, that's what matters
I bet all monarch guns were not loaded. And the 1 TM who knows how to load them was off. Lol laughing my ass off here.

I bet all monarch guns were not loaded. And the 1 TM who knows how to load them was off. Lol laughing my ass off here.
It's so much great effort though. I've had my kids do similar when the choices were put it out wrong it not at all. Usually deli stickers on bakery or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back