Archived Question about work centers/hiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have worked for Spot for about a year and a half, and at lunch the other day I was talking to some of the team members who work in Market (SuperTarget). After chatting for a while we realized that almost every member of the group was actually a hardlines team member and paid accordingly. This only came up because they hired a new Market person this week and their primary work area is food, and their starting pay is higher than what everyone else is making.

Is this allowed? Several of the hardlines team members maybe only work one non-food shift per month... if that.

It isn't a big deal to me (I just graduated and have a teaching job this fall), but it seems kind of scummy to hire and pay someone less than the job that they do.

Yes, that's allowed. There are different paygrades in the store for different work centers starting at N03, and going up to N11 for team members. N13, N15, and N17 are for TL's and SrTLs.

Some of these may be mixed up, but the basic jist of it is:

N03 starts at minimum wage. These are your cashiers, sales floor, guest service TMs, and cart attendants
N05: base pay + .25 - Pricing, Instocks, food service.
N07: base pay +.50 - All logistics workcenters (Backroom and BR day, flow, etc), HR, and I think electronics and plano.
N09: base pay + $1 - Perishables assistants, cash office, signing, TPS, receiving.
N11: base pay +$1.50 - Cake decorators, and possibly something else...

You should be working at least half of your shifts in your designated workcenter. If you're working half of your shifts in another department, then your paygrade should reflect that. Exception would be Starbucks, where I believe you only have to work two shifts a week in the department to be a Starbucks TM.

You should be working at least half of your shifts in your designated workcenter. If you're working half of your shifts in another department, then your paygrade should reflect that. Exception would be Starbucks, where I believe you only have to work two shifts a week in the department to be a Starbucks TM.
I probably only work one shift a month in my work center. Same goes for several others.

N07 also includes GSAs.
N11 also includes pharmacy techs and new in role TLs.

TLs are eligible to make paygrade and go up to N13 after, I want to say a year, but it might be 18 months.

It isn't a big deal to me (I just graduated and have a teaching job this fall), but it seems kind of scummy to hire and pay someone less than the job that they do.

And in regards to that last statement, they can totally do that too, which sucks. Before I moved up to a PA, I was hired in as a salesfloor TM (bottom of the paygrade totem pole), but eventually ended up being cross trained throughout the majority of the store. Plano, backroom, flow, instocks, softlines, pricing, electronics... I basically did the work of every other area at some point without the pay, and unless you're working 50% or more of your shifts in the workcenter with the higher paygrade, you don't get that compensation. It sucks for that reason, but at the same time the more you know, (generally, but not so much now with MyTime) the more hours you'll get.

And in regards to that last statement, they can totally do that too, which sucks. Before I moved up to a PA, I was hired in as a salesfloor TM (bottom of the paygrade totem pole), but eventually ended up being cross trained throughout the majority of the store. Plano, backroom, flow, instocks, softlines, pricing, electronics... I basically did the work of every other area at some point without the pay, and unless you're working 50% or more of your shifts in the workcenter with the higher paygrade, you don't get that compensation. It sucks for that reason, but at the same time the more you know, (generally, but not so much now with MyTime) the more hours you'll get.

This is the case. It is more like 90% of my shifts.... with a similar % for the other TM's in the area.

N07 also includes GSAs.
N11 also includes pharmacy techs and new in role TLs.

TLs are eligible to make paygrade and go up to N13 after, I want to say a year, but it might be 18 months.

9 months

Is it possible that this new TM was hired as a pFresh Assistant? PAs are a higher paygrade than market TMs, and market and salesfloor positions are the same paygrade.

@Wafflecakes is in a Super. If I remember correctly, food positions are N05. Seems odd that the food areas would mainly be staffed with hardlines TMs, seeing as they're more specialized than in P-Fresh stores.

I moved from hardlines to backroom for eight months and never saw a bump until I moved into food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back