Archived Question for Cart Attendants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
I don't like being outside when it's severe sky to ground lightning. What is the policy on getting carts in such conditions? You can wait I know during the day but if it's storming really bad during closing when you have to get all the carts in are you really expected to go outside and get them? I have a friend that got struck and died. Our main cart attendant is on vacation all week and I'm kind of stuck with the duty and we have some bad weather coming through at the end of the week and was just wondering.

If it's lightning, you'll be forced to stay in. You will not be expected to grab all the carts in if it's like that during closing. Too much of a risk of your safety. You'll end up either backup cashiering or helping the salesfloor.

Definitely check the weather before your shift, and partner with your GSTL/GSA before the storm. We had a nasty storm last week, and I grabbed a vest and ran out into the parking lot to help bring in all of the carts w/ the cart attendant before the storm hit.

We had all of the carts in by the time it started to rain!

Definitely check the weather before your shift, and partner with your GSTL/GSA before the storm. We had a nasty storm last week, and I grabbed a vest and ran out into the parking lot to help bring in all of the carts w/ the cart attendant before the storm hit.

We had all of the carts in by the time it started to rain!

Rain won't mean you need to stop bringing carts in. It has to be hail or thunder. It could be pouring rain and you'd still be expected to go out and bring the carts in.

I THINK it's the receptionist (correct me if I'm wrong, please) that keeps an eye on bad weather about to move through.
Last time this happened at my store, we had 4 team members outside with the cart attendant getting carts. I think I saved 4 or 5 cars from damage by rogue carts. :p
But assuming there IS lightning outside before you get all them in, psych is correct.

During severe weather our cart attendants dont go out. If the storm is way off in the distance though, thats a different story.

Had a few occasions when I used to do carts where I stayed in during severe weather.

I think most of you are missunderstanding me a little. At my store the entire parking long has to be cleared of all carts. If it's severe weather out there and 15 minutes before closing does that mean I have to be out there gathering the last of the carts? I guess that's what I meant..... Weather or not I HAVE to grab the last of the carts in severe weather during a major storm if it doesn't let up before closing....

There should not be that many carts out in a lot at that time. You'd should let your GSA/gstl know that you need help, 45 mins or 1 hour before closing, if there a lot of carts out in the lot. I would go out & bring carts in. Your GSA/gstl should making sure that ca is doing their job throughout the night.

Rain won't mean you need to stop bringing carts in. It has to be hail or thunder. It could be pouring rain and you'd still be expected to go out and bring the carts in.

Sorry, according to your profile you're nowhere near me, and I probably should've expanded on my statement.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...heast-weather-storms-20120727,0,3459624.story

We had all of the carts in by the time it started to rain. We stood inside the cart vestibule and watch the wicked lightning and hail as it came down upon the parking lot like the world was ending.

My cart attendant was very appreciative.

I remember a couple of times doing carts it was storming with lighting during my entire shift and then stopping during the last half hour or so so i had to rush to just to finsh but my lod was awesome and would push carts in while i used the pusher to help out.

Just a word of advice, dont go outside if there si lightning or if it is pouring outside. So best thing to do is have as many carts inside when this happens so u dont have to be outside. If its still busy and people are complaining about why all the carts are wet during this weather, then its their fault :-(

Nvr had a bad experience during bad weather but most of the time u and the guests will play it safe and not go outside if it happens

I don't like being outside when it's severe sky to ground lightning. What is the policy on getting carts in such conditions? You can wait I know during the day but if it's storming really bad during closing when you have to get all the carts in are you really expected to go outside and get them? I have a friend that got struck and died. Our main cart attendant is on vacation all week and I'm kind of stuck with the duty and we have some bad weather coming through at the end of the week and was just wondering.
If lightning is hitting the area around the store, just come into the store and communicate with the LOD and GSTL/GSA the conditions. They will tell you to stay inside.

In cases of severe weather, hail, tornado, hurricane conditions, or heavy downpour, then you need to be inside but communicate to the LOD the conditions outside. If temps are below freezing or in the 100s, then you need to limit your time outside.

If you have heavy winds, you need to be pro-active and get carts inside and have the inside take carts from guests.

If its just raining or snowing, and you are still capable of gathering carts, just get a poncho or raingear and head out.

I remember one CA working one stormy night. For some reason, he called his parents on what he should do because of the lightning. And apparently they told him not to go outside anymore. But he never talked to the LOD and was just hanging inside the breakroom during his shift...BOY was the LOD pissed. And so was I because I ended up closing carts with a full lot of carts and still had to close Guest Service.

Last edited:
Shouldnt target have rain geer for the Cart people for when it pours? I know when I worked for them, they had rain geer that was kept in the supply closet

Target is responsible for giving you reasonable equipment in order for you to do the job as a cart attendant. Reflective vest, rain jacket or poncho, gloves and cooler jacket.

But when temps got below 10 in Iowa, I brought in my North Face jacket.

Target is responsible for giving you reasonable equipment in order for you to do the job as a cart attendant. Reflective vest, rain jacket or poncho, gloves and cooler jacket.

But when temps got below 10 in Iowa, I brought in my North Face jacket.

Nothing like being Cart Attendant when it's a windchill of -20. I used to get funny looks when I'd pop on the ski mask, but when you are outside for 1-2 hours straight clearing the lot it makes a huge difference.

Shouldnt target have rain geer for the Cart people for when it pours? I know when I worked for them, they had rain geer that was kept in the supply closet

The store I worked at had a rather nice raincoat that would help if you were not over 6 feet tall. I am. and it only protected to a hair below my knees.

If you have heavy winds, you need to be pro-active and get carts inside and have the inside take carts from guests.

At my store, we had very heavy winds several months ago and guests were not even allowed to bring carts outside. If they had a full cart and/or heavy items, they had to have a carry-out and the cart attendant had to get the cart back in ASAP. It was this same occasion that my HR TL posted signs at every register about the winds, and the signs were full of spelling and grammar errors because she's a genius like that.

One of my coworkers on the sale sfloor is also a cart attendant, and a few weeks ago it was horrible out and we were under a tornado watch right before closing. The LOD told him to stay inside because it was far too dangerous for him.

Nah, our store has the rain gear, but for whoever stated to notify an LOD if there's a tornado.... Don't take it the wrong way, but I think the entire team is going to know by the time I tell'em. Just one of those things.

Last edited:
One other question, I am scheduled to start at 7:30 on Sunday. What am I going to do for 30 minutes before opening? Granted I can zone I guess, but I've never been scheduled that early......... Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back