Archived Quick calling out question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't it be allowed? Big difference in not going to work depending on what your reason is.

I’m sure they probably are not allowed to ask but one of the HR gurus might know more.
They might have just asked by mistake. Just tell them something has come up and you can’t make it in. Or that your sick lol.
Key word here is “can’t make it in” or “no way I can make it in”.
Don’t say things like “I don’t know if I’ll make it in” or “ I probably won’t make it in today”, or “I’m not sure I’ll make it in”. Those cases the ETL might ask why, because your sounding unsure.

I say something like, "I can't make it in today," and no one has ever challenged this. What did you say when pressed, OP?

Its unethical but no against a rule or anything. Family emergency is a pretty typical excuse even if you just need a mental day. Now if they harrass you for an answer thats a possible hr issue. Its none of their business unless you call out every week.

Yes, they can ask. From their point of view they need to know if this is a one day thing or are you hospitalized. The business needs to know how to plan, if necessary.

Also, imho, always call out sick so you can request that sweet, sweet sick pay in states where that's a thing.

They can ask whatever they want. In some areas, or for some reasons, you may not be legally required to answer. Depending on the reason, they may fall afoul of the EEOC, ADA, or local laws if they create special rules for you that they don't create for anyone else.

So basically, it depends.

There is new form that has be filled out if you call off multi days. If you are seasonal, spot can drop you.

"I won't be in today but hope to make it for my next shift" is always appropriate.

She said what the matter or something like that to which I replied I have a stomach ache
I was kind of surprised when she asked though if I ever have to call off again I'll just personal reasons or something

I usually explain why I can't make it in, as I feel that is a good-faith effort to let them know I'm not just blowing them off, but you're not required to. Not too much detail, usually, as people don't usually want too much detail (Last time was "My husband is in the hospital so I won't make my shift tomorrow" without getting into what he was hospitalized for). They aren't doing anything illegal by asking, necessarily, though as Fluttervale said, it could be. Not likely, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back