Archived Quit and reapply or stay and transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still a seasonal TM as far as I know, but since I'm on the schedule through January 21, I'm starting to think my store plans to keep me and just hasn't gotten around to telling me yet.

My problem: My family is moving 40 minutes south in a week.

I told my TL I was moving when I interviewed for this position two months ago. I would like to continue working at Target, but obviously I would prefer to be at one of the stores closer to my new home. There are three within 15 minutes.

Assuming they do keep me around, what is the correct thing to do in this situation?

1. Put in my two weeks' notice now and apply at the stores closer to my new home.

2. Stay until I reach 90 days in mid-February and find out how to transfer. It will take 1 hr 5 mins of work to pay for the gas for each shift.

Thanks.

It all depends on when your review is due. We have to tell you at least two weeks in advance whether or not we are keeping you. Coming from a team lead standpoint I personally would say that you should do option 2. While it may be more costly a transfer should be easier than reapplying. Make sure to tell HR of your intentions.

Would the OP be able to transfer after 90 days? I always thought it was 6 months, but maybe not. The OP should talk to HR.
If it's possible to transfer, that is the best option. Only quit and reapply if transferring is not possible.

That's a good point. I guess I am not positive of the transfer rules. I just thought anything past 90 days was fair game...

That's a good point. I guess I am not positive of the transfer rules. I just thought anything past 90 days was fair game...

This is true. However, it is up to the HR and your ETL whether they will let you transfer. I don't mean to sound negative, b/c I don't have any way of knowing if this describes the OP, but they want let someone transfer if they have had problems with them. It would reflect poorly on the store. Any type of corrective action will prevent you from transferring. Anything other than that is up to the ETLs judgement.

My input is stay on until your 90 days, then transfer. Let your store know now though. Most stores aren't hiring this time of year. It would be best if you could get a hold of the store you wish to transfer to and have them choose you over one of their seasonal TMs, if they haven't already made those final choices. But why would they do that? They know those TMs, but they don't know you. This is just kind of a crappy time of year to transfer. Its still worth a shot though. Get started with the process right away.

You may end up having to quit and reapply in a couple of months, but I would try the transfer route first.

I don't know if they still do merit raises after 90 days any more but, if you got one then quit to reapply, you'd be back where you started. Which, considering how stingy spot is, isn't very far.

I don't know if they still do merit raises after 90 days any more but, if you got one then quit to reapply, you'd be back where you started. Which, considering how stingy spot is, isn't very far.

When I transferred stores I kept my raises... although it wasn't much, got a bigger boost from new store having higher base pay!

Thanks for your advice. I will try to stay at my current store and see what happens. I haven't had any corrective actions and receive lots of compliments from my fellow TMs. I rarely get to work at the same time as my TLs (haven't seen one of them since before Christmas) or the ETL-HR, but I know where I can leave HR a letter.

I lucked out and worked with the TL who interviewed me this evening, who remembered and asked when I was moving. He is going to ask the ETL to at least let me know one way or the other about only being seasonal or not.

I know it is a really bad time of year to transfer stores. However, the volunteer position I do elsewhere was changed to a ten hour a week part-time job this morning, so I'm only looking for 2-3 nights a week now instead of 4-5. Will that help?

You cannot transfer while you are in your 90 days as a permanent TM. Your review needs to be signed in order to get out of your probationary status. Is the Feb. date your 90 days from when were hired as a seasonal, or permanent status hiring date? You have to serve 90 days from your permanent hiring date.

If you quit, and try to re-apply at a different store, you may have to wait 90 days to 6 months to reapply before you will be eligible for a position as long as you were checked off as rehirable.

You may want to go ahead and give your HR a month notice, so you they can contact your new store. Only problem is that there might not be hours or an open position to give at your possible new store since its the slow season.

Last edited:
You cannot transfer while you are in your 90 days as a permanent TM. Your review needs to be signed in order to get out of your probationary status. Is the Feb. date your 90 days from when were hired as a seasonal, or permanent status hiring date? You have to serve 90 days from your permanent hiring date.

If you quit, and try to re-apply at a different store, you may have to wait 90 days to 6 months to reapply before you will be eligible for a position as long as you were checked off as rehirable.

You may want to go ahead and give your HR a month notice, so you they can contact your new store. Only problem is that there might not be hours or an open position to give at your possible new store since its the slow season.

So I have to wait and see if I am made permanent, work another 90 days as permanent, and then I can transfer? Just trying to get this all straight.

As I last understood the practice of seasonals turning permanent. That is how it was done at least at my last store. But PM HR King. They will probably know for sure.

I may be wrong on this.

Calling HR King...

Last edited:
yes, seasonal team members need to become regulars, wait 90 days to be eligible to transfer.

In the end, the choice is 3- Quit and apply elsewhere. My ETL twice denied the availability request change I need in order to attend my college classes (yes, I included that in the comment box on Max self-service), so I will put in my two weeks tomorrow.

Thank you all for your help on this.

Apply first, get new job, then turn in 2 weeks.
Did your etl say why you were denied twice on availability?

My ETL says I am required to have Sunday availability. Between church and the assignment schedule for one of my online classes, I only have about 2-3 hours of Sunday availability, so I designated myself as unavailable for the entire day.

Since Sunday is our busiest day, I really shouldn't be upset about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back