Former Team Member
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9360350

Son's legacy lives on with toy, coat drive

Updated at 10:22 PM today
9360402_448x252.jpg

Tags:
north carolina news, wake county news, raleigh news, local/state

icon_wtvd_byline.gif

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A man's good deeds are living on many years after his death.

Mike and Suzanne Groom spent nearly $12,000 Friday night buying toys for dozens of needy kids at the Target off of Lynn Road in Raleigh.
Related Content

Story: Family honors son by donating to others

The couple plans to donate the truck full of goodies to Toys for Tots on Saturday. They were inspired by their 19-year-old son Chris, who was killed in a car accident 10 years ago.
At his funeral, his parents found out Chris secretly donated $100 of his small salary to give to needy children. Since then, his parents have raised money to give back to the community.
"There's nothing that I wouldn't do to have one more moment with our son and, since that's not going to happen, we can deal with it in one of many ways," said Suzanne Groom. "We've chosen to try and make a positive change in his memory. That will make a lasting impression."
Chris' memory lives on another charity as well. His parents created "Chris' Coats for Kids," which supplies wardrobes for children in need.
Click here for more details.

Where I am there is an organization that spends a very large amount of money at our store buying toys and electronics for children who are hospitalized. They have done it for years, and amazingly enough it has never been publicized.

And we are talking upwards of 40K or more, in just a couple of hours at my store.

They tell us when they are coming, so the store is prepared, and has dedicated lanes open for them.

Always thought that was pretty cool...

And again, no media. Just doing what they do.

We have a company that comes in every year and pretty much cleans us out of toys for their company holiday party. We really like it when they come! A lot of work but they always leave happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back