Archived Really starting to wonder if I should just quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry

World's happiest cynic.
3 years. That's how long I've been at Spot and I honestly just want to scream "F*** it all!" and just give my 2 weeks.

In that 3 years:

- I haven't broken the $8.00 an hour mark.
- I'm not eligible for vacation or sick days. Not for lack of trying. They just won't give me the minimum hours.
- When I request evenings off for outside-of-work engagements, they screw around with approving or denying it. I don't even request full days off. Just a few hours in the evening.
- It was just as bad when I was in school. I had to fight to get certain days off.
- It's gotten to the point where I'm mentally and physically stressed out from even the idea of working there

Other things to consider:

- I'm more than likely going to return to school next year ( some certifications or a post-Bach, most likely)
- If not school, I'm going to look for a career job.
- It's not like I would be goofing off by not working. I plan on volunteering, possibly working temp jobs for extra $, I have enough saved up for bills and expenses, etc.
- I'm extremely frugal and don't really have major splurges.

In a family where most people are bums (as is my case), it's really hammered into your head that you don't quit a job no matter what. In my case, it's not that I don't have a plan. I'm just tired of it all.

I applaud the veterans of Spot, but I don't think I can do it for much longer.

Last edited:
Don't quit until you have another job lined up.

So I've heard.

The thing is, I'm planning on making my way to southern Ohio in the near future and I might have an opportunity there. Just waiting on a response.

Like I had mentioned, I could look into temp agencies.

Sounds like you need to dust off the resume & start looking for a better job.

Little to no jobs in my area. Most things are retail or industrial. Not for lack of trying, but the most common phrase I've heard is "we're looking for someone more qualified."

That, or I'm not brought back in for a 2nd interview.

Last edited:
Little to no jobs in my area. Most things are retail or industrial. Not for lack of trying, but the most common phrase I've heard is "we're looking for someone more qualified."

That, or I'm not brought back in for a 2nd interview.

This sounds like my town and my life.

Starry, i understand. I have quit 2 dif jobs without another lined up. There were defi itely conseauences but i knew there would be, and i paid the price. Iam what i am like Popeye, and sometimes a person has had all he can take and he cant take no more. I wish you the very best, you are very young and there is a lot of life ahead of you.

Normally I wouldn't recommend this but since it sounds like your financial situation is somewhat more secure than most, my advice is to just quit.

When I was in your situation, I would get frustrated that my efforts went unnoticed, then I would get upset over something shitty corp did (hours cuts etc.) Then I would get coached or talked to over something petty while the people who spent half their shift watching youtube would somehow get through the day unscathed.

At this point I would be so irritated that I just wanted to quit but then I would have a somewhat redemptive day and decide it wasn't so bad.

That cycle repeated for almost 6 months. I finally realized that I needed out no matter what so I put in notice.

I didn't even have an interview lined up at the time but the fact that I actually put in my two weeks motivated me to go the extra mile to find another job.

Ultimately, I ended up with almost a dozen serious options with similar or better pay before the end of my 2 weeks. (Which was funny because after I gave notice a TL condescendingly asked me "you really think you can just find another job?")

I ended up taking a night crew position with Kroger for nearly double what I made at Target but even more importantly:
1. My boss did my job at one point... and so did his boss... and his boss... all the way up to the CEO of the company http://www.thekrogerco.com/docs/press-releases/rodney-mcmullen.pdf?sfvrsn=2 (3rd paragraph)
2. I got treated like an adult.
3. Everyone had the same expectations. No double standards.
4. My hard work was recognized and genuinely appreciated by almost everyone.

I'm not trying to say that Kroger is perfect because I'm sure they have bad stores and bad managers somewhere but the store I worked at was great and was exactly what I needed.

After getting away from Target my bitterness started to subside and my mind cleared up. Even though I had potential to promote and be a store manager at some point I realized that wasn't what I wanted to do. For the first time in years I actually wanted to go back to school and earn my degree. (Which is where I am right now)

TL;DR
Sometimes, forcing a change in routine is the best thing you can do to motivate yourself and discover what you really desire.

The OP doesn't make at least 8 bucks an hour? Is that even possible?

I started around 8 months ago @ 8 per hour.

Or you could quit and keep going to work like so many other TMs who don't have a choice about jobs in their area and are totally burned out.
They might not notice long enough for you to find another job and move on.

Or you could quit and keep going to work like so many other TMs who don't have a choice about jobs in their area and are totally burned out.
They might not notice long enough for you to find another job and move on.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I'm more than a little slow today.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

Should have used the sarcasm font or been more specific.

Far too many people give up.
They feel the same way you do, many of them have been with Spot longer than you have, and they feel like you do but they don't feel like they have any other choice.
So they go to work, do the absolute minimum to get by, are basically ghosts without any investments in the place they work, they've quit.

To be clear, I don't recommend this.
You will be disliked by your coworkers and probably won't be too happy with yourself.
But it will be the end result if you stay for a long time without a resolve.

Should have used the sarcasm font or been more specific.

Far too many people give up.
They feel the same way you do, many of them have been with Spot longer than you have, and they feel like you do but they don't feel like they have any other choice.
So they go to work, do the absolute minimum to get by, are basically ghosts without any investments in the place they work, they've quit.

To be clear, I don't recommend this.
You will be disliked by your coworkers and probably won't be too happy with yourself.
But it will be the end result if you stay for a long time without a resolve.

Ah! That makes more sense. :)

I get what you mean. I think I might hold on for a little while longer ,just for things to (hopefully) get into place.

I'm in Louisiana - 8 bucks here.

Starting salary can also depend on if the store is urban or suburban, off a major highway or next to major competition,
The OP pointed out that there wasn't much competition for jobs in the area so Spot figures they can lowball the TMs.

Yeah, LA may have low cost of living, but the oil industry seems to make it immune to the economy. Until now...

I'm in the south. I started at $7.25.
Wow, we got our starting pay bumped to $8.50 when the state raised it's minimum to $8.00. That's seriously shitty of target, especially when they have said that they pay more than the minimum wage in their stores...now I see what you meant @Retail Girl

I'd suggest looking for another job before you quit, but if you absolutely can't take it anymore then put in your notice. Even if you have to take another retail job it probably won't be as bad as target.

Honestly there are way better jobs out there, it's just easy to get caught up at your store and feel trapped. It's especially crippling when you're living hand to mouth and can't see a way out of your current financial situation. Unfortunately the onus is on you to get the motivation to juggle both duties of job and job seeking which itself is another job. Start networking and see if other people you know hear of openings.

Honestly there are way better jobs out there, it's just easy to get caught up at your store and feel trapped. It's especially crippling when you're living hand to mouth and can't see a way out of your current financial situation. Unfortunately the onus is on you to get the motivation to juggle both duties of job and job seeking which itself is another job. Start networking and see if other people you know hear of openings.

There actually may be an opportunity later in the year up in Ohio where my friend lives. I'm just waiting to hear whether or not it will happen.

I was actually tracked down by a former TL to be a TL somewhere else. I didn't do it. Mainly out of fear of being a TL and close to same pay.

Hey everyone. I figured I would make an update:

I'm still at Target, as I figured I would suck it up for a at least couple more months, but so much has happened that I'm once again seriously considering giving my 2 weeks.

Basically:

- Anytime I try and give an availability change request (which always has open availability for Friday-Sunday at the very least), it gets either denied or auto-denied. My ETL tries to say that he doesn't get them through his inbox, which is a load of crap. I make sure that they go through and this was never an issue with the old Hardlines ETL (who still works at the store, but for some reason can't approve permeant changes to schedules anymore).
- I was told that there were no positions available about month before I graduated with my Bachelors degree. About 2 weeks after I graduated, a new TL was hired. He's a cool guy, but before Target had no retail experience or degree.
- Anytime I apply for a new position, I either never get an interview or am told that they'll "keep me in mind" when a new position opens up, but instead will hire someone else. This recently happened with Starbucks.

I realize this thread isn't very old, and I had even made peace (so to speak) with Spot enough to stay with them until, at least, May/June. But with all of this going on in the past week, it really sparked the whole "should I just quit or not" internal debate once again.

Like I had previously mentioned, I do have plans for this next year (which includes staying with a friend for a few months and maybe moving to another state with a better job market), and until then there will always be ways to make money (odd jobs, another retail store, etc). However, it doesn't hurt to have a little extra $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back