Archived Red Card Payment with a Target Gift Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. When you swipe the card or scan the statement barcode, it asks how much. The only forms of payment are debit, cash or check ONLY.

Its for Target's benefit. Gift cards are normally paid for with credit cards, so it would be a no sale for Target if they were used to pay off that same amount on the card.

They would even lose money since they are charged a fee from credit card companies.

I understand that you can't use a credit card to pay off your Red Card, but can you use your debit card to pay by credit? Or is that not allowed?

When you use a debit card and process it as credit, it's charging it directly to the bank/credit union who is issuing the card. Some banks/credit unions charge a fee for using it as a credit card, but those fees are charged to the cardholder and not the company.

Debit card - use as credit - I pay a fee from my bank out of my own pocket
Credit card - Target pays a fee to process the card through the payment company

When you use a debit card and process it as credit, it's charging it directly to the bank/credit union who is issuing the card. Some banks/credit unions charge a fee for using it as a credit card, but those fees are charged to the cardholder and not the company.

Debit card - use as credit - I pay a fee from my bank out of my own pocket
Credit card - Target pays a fee to process the card through the payment company

So you can pay your bill by credit through your debit card, right? As long as it's not an actual credit card? Also, some banks do the fees the other way around - they charge you for debit transactions but not for credit transactions.

You can use a debit card if, when you slide it through the reader a PIN pad appears and you enter the PIN. Not all debit cards cause the PIN pad to appear (I have one that doesn't) and there is no way to make it appear. So basically, the answer depends on the debit card. This is how is works at my store. I don't know if this kind of thing is regulated at the state level--if it is, it might vary depending on which Target you go to.

Its for Target's benefit. Gift cards are normally paid for with credit cards, so it would be a no sale for Target if they were used to pay off that same amount on the card.

They would even lose money since they are charged a fee from credit card companies.

That makes sense. Thank you.

So you can pay your bill by credit through your debit card, right? As long as it's not an actual credit card? Also, some banks do the fees the other way around - they charge you for debit transactions but not for credit transactions.

Most people pay their bills by check and a debit card is linked directly to your checking account so you're using the same source of payment when you use your debit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back