Archived RedisRad and GSTL question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the situation is for her store. Think maybe they're quietly (or not so quietly) putting it down? As in euthanasia? I've not been with Target long enough to know if they will kill a store, but there have been store closings.

Oops - so much for encouraging words. I truly mean to encourage you as I think you're doing the impossible by just showing up every day. ;) But I don't feel so encouraged for the livelihood of your store.

Hang in there RedisRad. Just know that you're doing an awesome job even when you think you aren't. You're much more resilient than other TLs in this company. Many would have gave up by now. I really hope they get you some help soon. Keep your head up!

I wonder what the situation is for her store. Think maybe they're quietly (or not so quietly) putting it down? As in euthanasia? I've not been with Target long enough to know if they will kill a store, but there have been store closings.

Oops - so much for encouraging words. I truly mean to encourage you as I think you're doing the impossible by just showing up every day. ;) But I don't feel so encouraged for the livelihood of your store.

Lol, I don't think anything like that is going to happen, ultimately they just had two gstl's quit, hired an exuberant new gstl (me) and dumped on me to fix everything. The existing workers, who haven't had to answer to anyone, and the GSAs who ran the front end, did not like being held accountable and asked to boost the numbers. Minus my one trooper of a GSA, the other two didn't give a crap about the front end, and would spend their shifts chatting at guest services while the lines were scary long. (I know this because I shop in my own store.)

So truly, this all comes down to the fact that when these people were finally told "okay, now we need to work on redcards and motivate the team and knock off the chatting" their whole clique just put in their two weeks.

And I hope I move up and do great things, because I've worked retail a good while, and I graduated with my bachelors a few years ago, tried out different industries and jobs, and as much as it hurts to see people, even on this board, refer to people like myself as failures because I don't work in a different job... I chose to work in retail management because I love the people and the environment. Granted, I originally asked to be sales floor because my background is more sales/guest service and I enjoy the merchandising and selling aspect more, but I'm happy enough to be a gstl for the time being IF I could get the help.

Wish GSA was like a super exciting position to be in LOL. Then I wouldn't have this issue!!

Hang in there RedisRad. Just know that you're doing an awesome job even when you think you aren't. You're much more resilient than other TLs in this company. Many would have gave up by now. I really hope they get you some help soon. Keep your head up!

::high fives and a hug:: my nose is still above the water!!

Lol, I don't think anything like that is going to happen, ultimately they just had two gstl's quit, hired an exuberant new gstl (me) and dumped on me to fix everything. The existing workers, who haven't had to answer to anyone, and the GSAs who ran the front end, did not like being held accountable and asked to boost the numbers. Minus my one trooper of a GSA, the other two didn't give a crap about the front end, and would spend their shifts chatting at guest services while the lines were scary long. (I know this because I shop in my own store.)

So truly, this all comes down to the fact that when these people were finally told "okay, now we need to work on redcards and motivate the team and knock off the chatting" their whole clique just put in their two weeks.

And I hope I move up and do great things, because I've worked retail a good while, and I graduated with my bachelors a few years ago, tried out different industries and jobs, and as much as it hurts to see people, even on this board, refer to people like myself as failures because I don't work in a different job... I chose to work in retail management because I love the people and the environment. Granted, I originally asked to be sales floor because my background is more sales/guest service and I enjoy the merchandising and selling aspect more, but I'm happy enough to be a gstl for the time being IF I could get the help.

Wish GSA was like a super exciting position to be in LOL. Then I wouldn't have this issue!!

Then I think there's a better day coming for you. Out with the old, in with the new. You'll find the right people to help you bolster the front end and you'll be on your way to the top!

Rad, you can do it! Lead your team & encourage to care about front end & goals. Appreciation them more for goals attempted at.

I think I'm going to turn this threa into "Ridiculous things my team members use as excuses not to offer redcards..."

I've already given a couple previously, but last night...

Me: I noticed you didn't ask the last three people if they were going to use a redcard.

TM: yeah...

Me: how come?

TM: I'm just... So hungry.

:-/

You have either lost control or never had control of your work center. Change that, don't wait for someone to come in and do it for you.

Your cashiers are quitting because they got coached for not doing their job? Good, now you can get someone in who will do their job. Why would you want to keep poor performers around anyway? Once you get a team in place that does what they should your department will run on autopilot.

That "I forgot" or "it's 9:30" crap needs to stop, the chatting at guest service needs to stop. They don't respect you as their supervisor. You can be on friendly terms with them but there needs to be a line drawn. That line is when you're nice to them and let this or that go, they keep doing it without any regards to what happens to you.

To set your endcaps, you do not have to wait until that day to do them all. Even if you did, they are CL endcaps, they are easy. Instead of you doing it all, teach your cashiers, have them do it.

People need to get it out of their head that they get to pick and choose what they do at work.

You have either lost control or never had control of your work center. Change that, don't wait for someone to come in and do it for you.

Your cashiers are quitting because they got coached for not doing their job? Good, now you can get someone in who will do their job. Why would you want to keep poor performers around anyway? Once you get a team in place that does what they should your department will run on autopilot.

That "I forgot" or "it's 9:30" crap needs to stop, the chatting at guest service needs to stop. They don't respect you as their supervisor. You can be on friendly terms with them but there needs to be a line drawn. That line is when you're nice to them and let this or that go, they keep doing it without any regards to what happens to you.

To set your endcaps, you do not have to wait until that day to do them all. Even if you did, they are CL endcaps, they are easy. Instead of you doing it all, teach your cashiers, have them do it.

People need to get it out of their head that they get to pick and choose what they do at work.

I'm definitely not waiting for someone to do my job, the problem is that I came into a department that no one wants to touch and didn't have solid leadership beforehand. My etls want me to fix everything (ie 10 broken registers, limited supplies, crappy conversion, training for c/o, guest service, cart attendant because we have too many callouts and not enough people to cover, a disjointed and depressed team...etc etc) but there are a ton of problems and not enough time in my day to do them all. I won't even begin to list everything else they have dumped on me, but I'm doing my best.

I have no support from my direct ETL, and when I went to my STL I was told to just address my ETL. I did, nothing changed.

And the issue with people quitting is that I can't fill the positions fast enough, so I'm short on coverage on top of everything else. I definitely dont want to keep poor performers at my store (other depts even try to push their poor performers on me... But i wont take them) I'm continuously coaching and documenting to get people on correctives that don't want to do their job, but I can't get away from the front end to write up the coachings (im literally up to 18 unwritten coachings and 3 unwritten correctives) so I can push through the paperwork to get them on a corrective.

Once again, I've asked for help to get coverage so I can do this, but it hasn't happened. I can't force people to come and cover me so I can leave (as much as I would love to). I was promised clerical days when I started, but they throw a lot of other stuff on me during the days I actually have coverage, thus I do not get my paperwork done.

I literally have random cashiers watch the lanes on my lunch that have no idea what to do because my leaders refuse to give me the coverage. I give them cashiers to do go backs but they whine when I request a team lift or back up to the lanes. And I WISH I had the time to train my cashiers to set endcaps or whatever else. I never said they were hard, but when none of the leaders support me, and I have cashiers who can't even get away for their breaks (I mostly cover their breaks since the LODs won't give me back up most days), let alone leave the registers to set an endcap, this turns into a much bigger task.

I appreciate your feedback, but I'm not just sitting on the floor throwing my hands up. The simple issue I have is not enough people to support me and help me get the coverage and staff I need so I can be much more effective.

If you have any good advice on how to get an entire store leadership team to support the front end and take action and responsibility, instead of being hyper focused on their tasks, I would love to hear it :).

I've started to document the push back and the conversations with my Srtls and Etls so I can have solid evidence of the numerous incidents that Have occurred, but my etlhr has now apologized to me twice for my leaders being rude to me and not supporting me. I appreciate the sentiment but it does nothing to fix the issue.

I've started to document the push back and the conversations with my Srtls and Etls so I can have solid evidence of the numerous incidents that Have occurred, but my etlhr has now apologized to me twice for my leaders being rude to me and not supporting me. I appreciate the sentiment but it does nothing to fix the issue.

Smart move, keep up the documentation, just on the off chance that they blame the problems on you.

This is not intended to be rude, it is intended to be blunt. Stop playing the victim, stop making excuses, and just get your **** done. There is no cavalry coming to save you, no shining white knight to save the day.

You ask how to get the rest of the store not be focused on tasks and support the front end? It won't happen. That's what they are being judged on, that's what determines if they have a job or not. Like it or not, right or wrong, that's just how it is. Let this go, dwelling on it will only stress you out.

Let the problem people quit, you will have cashiers, either from your work center or another. Someone will be up there on the register.

Stop trying to do everything yourself. Don't respond, don't think of a rebuttal, just stop trying to save the world. You have a team, use them. Make them feel needed, people want to learn, people want responsibility, people want to do things. Give a GSA the responsibility for supplies, give another the responsibility to get the registers working, give another the sales planners, etc.

Teaching someone how to set (or just push it) an endcap isn't complicated, during a break in the traffic go over the label and schematics with a cashier, explain the shelves, facings, upc, etc. If nothing else you can always say, put the tide on the 3rd shelf.

For your coachings and CA's make a generic one where you can just put in names, dates, etc. I have them for attendance, productivity, general performance, NCNS, etc, etc. Then you only have to pull it up from mysite right when you clock in, fill in the information and turn it in.

You need a break covered? Or time off the floor? There's not 1 TL in that store that you have enough of a relationship with that will help you out? Work something out with them, give them a cashier to cover electronics breaks if they will cover yours, etc. Be creative, come up with something that makes them want to do it.

If you have specific problems you need help with then ask, general problems like moral sucks, sorry, can't help with that.

You're right... I am playing the victim.

I'll make sure to give my imaginary GSAs those responsibilities and I will stop seeking support from people that just won't give it.

I needed to vent but I think I'm cool now :)

I'll make sure to give my imaginary GSAs those responsibilities and I will stop seeking support from people that just won't give it.

Oh please... It's your workcenter that YOU are in charge of. Doesn't matter if you only have one GSA. If you have leftover tasks, start delegating to OTHER front end TMs.

If you use the same excuses to your ETL-GE, its probably why hes not receptive to you at all.

Solutions, not excuses. Thats how the job gets done.

Oh please... It's your workcenter that YOU are in charge of. Doesn't matter if you only have one GSA. If you have leftover tasks, start delegating to OTHER front end TMs. If you use the same excuses to your ETL-GE, its probably why hes not receptive to you at all.
Hold off, imz. The op has is trying very hard to make progress on her front end. Her focus is red cards, speed & great gs. Give her a chance, please. She did have 2 GSAs,, now down to 1 GSA. She does have ge-etl support.

It sounds like the op's store is understaffed at the front end. It's really tough to get your workload done when you're constantly backed up. RedisRad will have to make the most of every second of downtime they have as far as getting tasks done. Delegating tasks to cashiers is fine, but obviously ringing sales takes priority. When you only have one or two cashiers, there's not usually down time for them.

And the last I checked, you can't delegate coachings and corrective actions to cashiers or GSAs, so that really is something where the entire responsibility falls on the sole GSTL. It sucks to run a store with one GSTL. It's possible, but you have to have more GSAs. Patronizing the op isn't going to help. The actual suggestions for improvement mitt though.

Oh please... It's your workcenter that YOU are in charge of. Doesn't matter if you only have one GSA. If you have leftover tasks, start delegating to OTHER front end TMs.

If you use the same excuses to your ETL-GE, its probably why hes not receptive to you at all.

I have solutions for many of the issues, but that requires assistance from the etls and team leads. My store is supposed to have two gstl's and two GSAs. We have me and one GSA. I lost two back-to-back, along with a bunch of guest service and cashiers. both gstl's before me just up and quit so I didn't obtain any knowledge from them. We are vastly understaffed, and it is incredibly impossible to pull cashiers for anything. I usually have someone pulled from the floor at all times to help out.My store developed a culture where everyone pretty much just comes and goes whenever they please. I did not create that culture, I'm fixing it and looking for helpful advice.

I have told my ETL-GE to help me with coachings and paperwork and redcards, but she "just forgets". Every. Single. Time. Definitely call her out and continously remind her, but I never give her excuses. As far as my leaders are concerned, they all know Im killing myself to get everyone trained correctly and to fix the problems. I was also just informed that they are watching my etl because there is a storewide problem. And no one knows anything about the front end. I have to call other stores for answers because yes I AM new to the position and my etls are so uninvolved with the front end that they have no clue as to what to do with anything. I don't have time to train my etls AND my cashiers.

Also, I never said I'm the only one dealing with these issues. That's why I'm sure I could benefit from people's expertise and experience on here.

It's cool if you wanna hate on me cuz unfortunately I am in a pickle as far as I can tell and ultimately you don't understand what is going on at my store. But for everyone that is supportive and can give advice, I still appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back