Archived Registers and Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally this will be directed to team members who handle registers quite often or have in the past. One major improvement I feel the company could make and should make is to upgrade their registers. The same brand and style of registers have been put into every target store for quite a while now as well as the same software which is slow and not beneficial to the company or guest. If they would get a new software that operated faster, didn't crash as often, and allowed us to apply for the target check cards without a check it would increase numbers across the board. Being at a high volume store it has always bothered me that we're stuck on old operating systems. Anyone have thoughts, suggestions, or other ideas on this?

I dont see them changing the registers anytime soon. At times the POS system gives me so much issues I just want to break every damn register in the building. Its extremely bugging and glitches all the time with the upgrades they release. But its simple,easy to use by employees with little or no computer knowledge and does its job. The POS system functionality lets them be created at times even though the programmers could at times try harder.

The NCR registers have just gone in to all stores in the past... year? Year and a half??? No way they'll be replaced already.

Check-less debit card applications are being rolled out this fall. They've already been piloted in a few stores.

I didn't think they'd be replaced, just wish they would. Way too slow and bad at operating. Sure they're simple to use but can't use them if they crash. The checkless debit cards I had not read or heard anything of but thats great news! Thank you!

The NCR registers have just gone in to all stores in the past... year? Year and a half??? No way they'll be replaced already.

Check-less debit card applications are being rolled out this fall. They've already been piloted in a few stores.

Stat, I worked in an 06 that had NCRs and have been to a GM 07 that has them as well. The last store I worked in was a gm that opened in 04 and had the tiny IBMs until a year ago when they were upgraded to NCR. Now these NCRs aren't the same as the 06 and 07 stores, the actual pos part is the same but the keyboard is a little different, the monitors are bigger and every register has the display on a pole instead of just in the red area on top of the monitor.... If you want to be specific about it :p

Generally this will be directed to team members who handle registers quite often or have in the past. One major improvement I feel the company could make and should make is to upgrade their registers. The same brand and style of registers have been put into every target store for quite a while now as well as the same software which is slow and not beneficial to the company or guest. If they would get a new software that operated faster, didn't crash as often, and allowed us to apply for the target check cards without a check it would increase numbers across the board. Being at a high volume store it has always bothered me that we're stuck on old operating systems. Anyone have thoughts, suggestions, or other ideas on this?

It sounds like you still have IBM registers. We had them until last summer and they were atrocious (not to mention I had to stand back to see the screen because the monitor was too low and couldn't be turned upward). The NCR registers are much faster, though they do still crash every now and then. I like the simplicity of the POS software (it's easy for noob cashiers), but they could do so much more with it.

I work at a store that has transitioned from the old sh**** IBMs to the new fancy NCRs. The transition makes a world of difference that everyone appreciates. There is no more waiting for the first item to show up after you scan it, you don't have to tell everyone to "hang on a sec" while you generate the closing checklist so that half the registers will not crash, and most importantly the register actually reacts to the arrow keys. There is no more holding down the up key and then hoping you don't sail past the item you were looking for.

When I went on spring break a year ago it still amazed me that some Targets have little black and white CRT monitors for their registers...

LOL apply for target check card without a check? LOLOLOL WTF

I've done it. I did it at a store that was part of the pilot last fall. I was given an 800 number to call when I got home and I gave them my bank information and was instantly approved. I got the card in the mail a week later.

The ncrs are very fast in my experience. Compared to other businesses registers ours are quite efficient.

It sounds like you still have IBM registers. We had them until last summer and they were atrocious (not to mention I had to stand back to see the screen because the monitor was too low and couldn't be turned upward). The NCR registers are much faster, though they do still crash every now and then. I like the simplicity of the POS software (it's easy for noob cashiers), but they could do so much more with it.

Unfortunately we have the NCR computers and they are pretty slow now compared to when we first opened(4 year old store, started with the NCRs) and the POS software was on them as well. While the POS software is easy to use and very convinient when needing to look up a past transaction for a guest it does have some downsides. Not all stores do WIC, but that is definitely a down side, might as well shut down the lane for 10-15 minutes. The NCR computers are a world of a difference from the IBM's but since they've been in use now for 4 years they have proved unreliable. In a dream world everything would be fast and efficient and there would be no problems, unfortunately I do not live in that world so for now these will suffice.

Wic doesn't take long at all as far as the register goes. Long as you know what you're doing, and the guest got the correct wicable items.

We have the NCR registers and they freeze for a little bit in the middle of orders way too often. It makes me look like a moron waiting for the register to get its head out of its butt. And when going into the locate merchandise feature, there's a 50/50 shot that the register will completely freeze and have to be rebooted.

When we first got the upgrades a few yrs ago, they were great but all the new POS updates have slowed them to a crawl.

Wic doesn't take long at all as far as the register goes. Long as you know what you're doing, and the guest got the correct wicable items.

This is true, it's usually the guests fault but idk why it's so hard for them when stickers label the items...

Most groc stores in our area have bright yellow stickers on certain items that ID them as WIC items (ie: milk, cheese, etc), usually on the shelf label.

Protip: If you do a redcard app and get the "requires further review" prompt, don't suspend the transaction.

This kills the register.

And the transaction.

We have the NCR registers and they freeze for a little bit in the middle of orders way too often. It makes me look like a moron waiting for the register to get its head out of its butt. And when going into the locate merchandise feature, there's a 50/50 shot that the register will completely freeze and have to be rebooted.

The first day we had the new NCRs, I tried Merch Locate and it crashed the register. So I moved to another register and...the drawer got stuck. My GSTL looked like she wanted to kill me. Fortunately, I've only had one crash since then.

I've done it. I did it at a store that was part of the pilot last fall. I was given an 800 number to call when I got home and I gave them my bank information and was instantly approved. I got the card in the mail a week later.

What's the latest with the checkless applications? I remember someone mentioning how this was going and that, if all went well, the program would roll-out company wide.....but I forget when this could happen.

Thanks.

Don't mean to sound stupid here, but is that this Fall or Fall 2013?

Yippee!!!!!!

This ought to help with getting REDcards! I can hardly wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back