Archived Repurpose or Bring Your Own

Status
Not open for further replies.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Spot likes to say that we are provided with every tool we need to do our job.
Anybody who works in the jobs that involve large amount of tools know better.
For that matter the tools that are provided often don't meet the needs of those using them.
From the posts I've seen about people shoving their PDT's into the back of their pants because the holsters suck to the almost constant battle with fixing old crowns and waves, Target looses an incredible number of man hours.
Some of us just get tired and either repurpose whats at hand or bring in our own tools.
I'm interested in what other folks have done.

I've been cutting magnets off any signs or clips and using them to turn signs that are constantly getting broken off into magnetic signs that can be easily reattached.
I brought in my own tool belt to carry all the canoe and viking clips rather then have them wind up in my pockets every night.
Many of the backroom crew who have to work in the freezer buy special socks to keep their feet from freezing.

All i want is a fricken box cutter that doesnt keep opening in my pocket, tried to use my own safety cutter but i got wrote up for that :(

I think that our store's flow team members would have a extremly hard time trying to bring in their own flatbeds, tubs, and silvers from home.

While these things are critical towards doing your work, we still lack these supplies to the point where you have to guard your vehicle like a hawk. Because if left unattended, you risk the chance of it getting taken by another team member.

PDA/PDTs must suck.... my LPDA fits into the holster very nicely :]

We're doing well on equipment for now, but we've run short in the past. The PDA holsters use to be $50 for the holster/belt combo, but there were recently $8 holsters on their own. I ordered 6 for now and will get some more later this month. I have never had a question by my TL or the STL on my ordering, I take that as approval of my discretion for ordering what I feel is needed in our store.

All i want is a fricken box cutter that doesnt keep opening in my pocket, tried to use my own safety cutter but i got wrote up for that :(

At a store near me they get a Nametag magnet and attach their box cutters to their sleeves, you could try that..

I bought my own gloves when doing pulls in the freezer. $1.74 at 7-Eleven. Good enough keeping my hands warm and able to use the PDA.

I also use my own jacket when pulling the freezer.

When I started working at Target as a Signing TM, I would email everything I could to my private email account so I could study up on Best Practices, Transition Manuals, VA, etc. My GM store only gets 1700 hours a week so I never had time to learn anything while at work. In addition, I was never "signed off" on any training so I had to learn everything on the fly. I would visit other stores and take pictures of their signing techniques and tricks to take back to my store. I never mentioned this to anyone and luckily discovered that working off the clock is a no no before anyone found out.
Today at a TL:
- I utilize old Army forms everyday to track what I am doing in 15 minute increments so I can defend why I didn't get 90 hours of Sales Plans set on my own, all my cleaning routines, and all the paperwork done this week.
- I use my Android phone with the Target App more than the useless Item Search app on the PDA/LPDA (which causes the stupid thing to loose network connectivity while trying to help an impatient guest).
- I use my mobile phone to manage and communicate with all my vendors. All of them have my private email and mobile number so they can communicate with me instead of the 10 other LODs that have no idea what is going on in my area.
- I use several Android apps to make notes, write Coachings on the fly, take pictures of issues and work progress to prove their existence, and communicate with other TMs/TLs in the store as we only have 8 working Walkies right now.
- I bought a red clipboard with a small combo luggage lock to keep spying eyes out of my notes, to-do's, etc.
- I used to build bikes too when I first started. I bought a tire inflator with a gauge to attach to the air compressor to make filing tires easier and more effecient. I also brought my own bike tools as they were much better than the SFT's tools he let me borrow.
- I had a piece of old solid wood that I worked down so I could have a solid working surface on the old metal Signing cart. It was hinged on one side to allow it to flip down to one side and not be in the way.
- I bring my own pressure washer once a month to power off the racks and fixtures in the BR cooler/freezer.
- I use Google Docs to create autofill forms that vendors, TMs, and HR can use both in the store and online to complete various tracking tools. I have one set up where vendors can go to a website and submit changes to their information including their product line, service times, upcoming promotions that they want end caps for, their contact info and their chain of command's contact info, and any lengthy communication they may want to have without calling me.

I am sure there is more but this is a good start. If I think of more, I will post them. Oh, and yes, all 6 of the store's ETLs are aware of these but turn a blind eye because it helps DRive Sales and save payroll.

When I started working at Target as a Signing TM, I would email everything I could to my private email account so I could study up on Best Practices, Transition Manuals, VA, etc. My GM store only gets 1700 hours a week so I never had time to learn anything while at work. In addition, I was never "signed off" on any training so I had to learn everything on the fly. I would visit other stores and take pictures of their signing techniques and tricks to take back to my store. I never mentioned this to anyone and luckily discovered that working off the clock is a no no before anyone found out.
Today at a TL:
- I utilize old Army forms everyday to track what I am doing in 15 minute increments so I can defend why I didn't get 90 hours of Sales Plans set on my own, all my cleaning routines, and all the paperwork done this week.
- I use my Android phone with the Target App more than the useless Item Search app on the PDA/LPDA (which causes the stupid thing to loose network connectivity while trying to help an impatient guest).
- I use my mobile phone to manage and communicate with all my vendors. All of them have my private email and mobile number so they can communicate with me instead of the 10 other LODs that have no idea what is going on in my area.
- I use several Android apps to make notes, write Coachings on the fly, take pictures of issues and work progress to prove their existence, and communicate with other TMs/TLs in the store as we only have 8 working Walkies right now.
- I bought a red clipboard with a small combo luggage lock to keep spying eyes out of my notes, to-do's, etc.
- I used to build bikes too when I first started. I bought a tire inflator with a gauge to attach to the air compressor to make filing tires easier and more effecient. I also brought my own bike tools as they were much better than the SFT's tools he let me borrow.
- I had a piece of old solid wood that I worked down so I could have a solid working surface on the old metal Signing cart. It was hinged on one side to allow it to flip down to one side and not be in the way.
- I bring my own pressure washer once a month to power off the racks and fixtures in the BR cooler/freezer.
- I use Google Docs to create autofill forms that vendors, TMs, and HR can use both in the store and online to complete various tracking tools. I have one set up where vendors can go to a website and submit changes to their information including their product line, service times, upcoming promotions that they want end caps for, their contact info and their chain of command's contact info, and any lengthy communication they may want to have without calling me.

I am sure there is more but this is a good start. If I think of more, I will post them. Oh, and yes, all 6 of the store's ETLs are aware of these but turn a blind eye because it helps DRive Sales and save payroll.

Thanks for all of that, but what do you do when the prices on the android app DON'T match up with the price on the shelf?
I only ask because after the whole HP touchpad fiasco I learned that target stores do NOT price match the target.com prices......

For market we each have special gloves that our ETL special order for us and the frozen flow team. We also have rotated shifts under presentation where all we do is set sales plannersso most of our department has a Target approved apron along with a box cutter. Our Receiving team member gives out box cutters like candy but only during her schedule shift. So if you come in after her shift you're SOL if you didn't bring your own. I did a mini survey around food side and back room and it turns out that most team members (like 70%) have a box cutter on them. It's only when you let someone else borrow them that it's lost forever. As long as our jackets are red we are allowed to bring our own even when working on the sales floor. New team members on SF are given mini notebooks to write in. They get to carry them around during training and while getting use to the floor. And pens. There are always pens lying around. I guess our team is quite fortunate to have an ETL who cares. I wouldn't know what I do without my apron or box cutter.

Interesting that you must have a red jacket if it's your own since the ones we got from corp. are dark blue or black (can't really tell!)

thats the EXACT one i had from another job, at my other job the little silver ones werent allowed, i tried using that one at target and got in trouble for it

Well they are more safe and freanky I like them. Makes cutting plastic wrap a lot more easy. Green for right handers and Red for leftys..

I wish I could use my iPhone for more things, I have to be pretty discrete about it. We have leaders in the store that think its great I use it to make my work more efficient for myself and that I use it to help guests in ways our LPDA's otherwise can't (Such as looking things up online for guests.) However, most of the leaders are very strict to the company line on them. I understand the reasoning, as we have many issues with TM's texting on the clock. I always have my phone on me, and never use it for "personal" use on the clock, however, I digress. I keep a lot of spreadsheets and lists on my phone to help make my job easier. If anything, it is the most convenient calculator. ;)

Thanks for all of that, but what do you do when the prices on the android app DON'T match up with the price on the shelf?
I only ask because after the whole HP touchpad fiasco I learned that target stores do NOT price match the target.com prices......

I don't use it so much for pricing as I do to find DPCI's, like items, and to prove to the internet illiterate Guest that the item they saw online clearly states "Internet Only" where the store finding option would normally be. IT is also good for helping Guest to the nearest Radio Shack or Supermarket when we don't carry what they are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back