Archived Sales Floor TM Being Scheduled Cashier Shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I was hired by Target as a Sales Floor TM a couple of years ago and exclusively had sales floor shifts for about six months, followed by six months of exclusive cashier shifts. Since then, I returned to the sales floor for a short time, but for the past eight months have been given nothing but cashier shifts.

I've made it apparent I have little interest in cashiering and would prefer to be in the work center I was hired for. Management says that it's Max that creates the schedule and the reasoning for me getting nothing but cashier shifts is an anomaly. That's where the conversation ends.

Today I called team member services and they confirmed that I am in fact a SFTM and have never been anything else. Have you ever heard of this happening to anyone else? What can I do to get back to the position I was hired for?

Hello all,

I was hired by Target as a Sales Floor TM a couple of years ago and exclusively had sales floor shifts for about six months, followed by six months of exclusive cashier shifts. Since then, I returned to the sales floor for a short time, but for the past eight months have been given nothing but cashier shifts.

I've made it apparent I have little interest in cashiering and would prefer to be in the work center I was hired for. Management says that it's Max that creates the schedule and the reasoning for me getting nothing but cashier shifts is an anomaly. That's where the conversation ends.

Today I called team member services and they confirmed that I am in fact a SFTM and have never been anything else. Have you ever heard of this happening to anyone else? What can I do to get back to the position I was hired for?

I, too, am a sales floor TM that has occasional nights that I close in electronics. There will be that odd day where I get a cashier shift, but I also make myself to available to multiple work centers. Just last year I was consistently getting cashier shifts every Tuesday/Thursday, and after I made it known that I don't like to cashier, but I don't mind back-up cashiering when I'm on the sales floor.

Now I never have any cashier shifts. I know they usually say MAX creates the schedules but they can certainly edit schedules afterwards. Maybe to have the auto-scheduler pick on you less, cross train to other areas besides sales floor?

I, too, am a sales floor TM that has occasional nights that I close in electronics. There will be that odd day where I get a cashier shift, but I also make myself to available to multiple work centers. Just last year I was consistently getting cashier shifts every Tuesday/Thursday, and after I made it known that I don't like to cashier, but I don't mind back-up cashiering when I'm on the sales floor.

Now I never have any cashier shifts. I know they usually say MAX creates the schedules but they can certainly edit schedules afterwards. Maybe to have the auto-scheduler pick on you less, cross train to other areas besides sales floor?
I'm with you, I totally don't mind back-up cashiering. As far as being cross-trained, I'm trained at guest service, brand attendant, electronics, bike builder... but I get none of those.

What's particularly frustrating now is the amount of people being hired for sales floor, while I'm still at the checklanes.

The easiest way is you impress your TL. Go in, get your work done without having to be micromanaged. You can bet your ass we don't let our good people go be cashiers.

Honestly, hours are hours to me. I still get paid the same no matter what job I'm doing for the day.

I think maybe you need to talk with some of the TL and ETLs st your store and tell them you'd like to work on the floor more.

The easiest way is you impress your TL. Go in, get your work done without having to be micromanaged. You can bet your ass we don't let our good people go be cashiers.

Have to say that your comment about not letting "good people" be cashiers is very offensive to me. Don't assume that cashiers aren't "good people." I'm a cashier and I do my job quite well and I'm proud to tell people that I'm a cashier.

Remember, ALL TMs are important and no one position is any better than another. I mean, what kind of a store would Target be without any cashiers? Or any other specific position?

Because cashiering is one of the most basic jobs, some people seem to get the idea that the people who are cashiers aren't good enough to do anything else. The fact that hi-po cashiers often get pulled for cross-training in other workcenters while the others get ignored really doesn't help anything.

what kind of a store would Target be without any cashiers?

Come to my store on a weekday morning (or Retail Girl's store anytime). That would answer your question.

Because cashiering is one of the most basic jobs, some people seem to get the idea that the people who are cashiers aren't good enough to do anything else. The fact that hi-po cashiers often get pulled for cross-training in other workcenters while the others get ignored really doesn't help anything.

Come to my store on a weekday morning (or Retail Girl's store anytime). That would answer your question.

When do your cashiers come in!?!? :eek:

Half our cashiers are TMs from other work centers who throw a fit about being scheduled to cashier, so they get released to do other things, while the lines back up and our survey scores dropped. I've been nicely pointing out this problem the past couple of weeks, and it seems to be getting better.

So what does it look like? It looks like 7 guests in one line, a cashier who was yelled at for hitting the additional assistance button when she only had 4, so has given up, the other cashier talking with the TM at GS (leaving those two out) and an LOD who walked right by the problem.

Meanwhile, my hopes are pinned on GS where I can at least move around a bit (I'm about 3/4 trained over there including one 3 hour shift alone due to call outs and desperation). My LOD told me she needs to stand up for the hours to get me trained elsewhere before I completely disintegrate under cashiering 5 days a week, and she will work on that. We'll see.

Meanwhile, the cashier who I trained and has been there a week and wants to do nothing but cashier? Already bragging that she has TLs coming up to her asking her to cross-train. WTF?

Have to say that your comment about not letting "good people" be cashiers is very offensive to me. Don't assume that cashiers aren't "good people." I'm a cashier and I do my job quite well and I'm proud to tell people that I'm a cashier.

Remember, ALL TMs are important and no one position is any better than another. I mean, what kind of a store would Target be without any cashiers? Or any other specific position?

You are reading it wrong. What I meant was that I am going to keep my better people in my work center. There was nothing implied that cashiers are not good people, etc.

Half our cashiers are TMs from other work centers who throw a fit about being scheduled to cashier, so they get released to do other things, while the lines back up and our survey scores dropped. I've been nicely pointing out this problem the past couple of weeks, and it seems to be getting better.

So what does it look like? It looks like 7 guests in one line, a cashier who was yelled at for hitting the additional assistance button when she only had 4, so has given up, the other cashier talking with the TM at GS (leaving those two out) and an LOD who walked right by the problem.

Meanwhile, my hopes are pinned on GS where I can at least move around a bit (I'm about 3/4 trained over there including one 3 hour shift alone due to call outs and desperation). My LOD told me she needs to stand up for the hours to get me trained elsewhere before I completely disintegrate under cashiering 5 days a week, and she will work on that. We'll see.

Meanwhile, the cashier who I trained and has been there a week and wants to do nothing but cashier? Already bragging that she has TLs coming up to her asking her to cross-train. WTF?

I was lost at the part where you said you have a cashier talking to the SDTM. My cashiers don't leave their lanes, unless they're asked to. :wacko:

You are reading way too far into this as far as personal insults.

This is about utilizing team members to their maximum, and if a team member A is better as a SFTM than a Cashier then it's prudent to just use them on the floor and give the cashier shift to someone who a) wants it, and b) is better at it.

When do your cashiers come in!?!? :eek:

Don't worry, we have cashiers, but the bare minimum (after all, we're A+, not ULV). To the point where you'd think it was January until about 2:00. Plus, whoever makes the front end schedule seems to think that scheduling the 239 person to cash after they're done in 239 actually counts as cashier coverage, but they're really covering Guest Service, GSTL breaks, etc. - everything except cashing.

I was lost at the part where you said you have a cashier talking to the SDTM. My cashiers don't leave their lanes, unless they're asked to. :wacko:

Well, she whined enough to have them send her into soft lines. But after I hit the add'l assist button, she yelled at me for calling her up, I pointed out I had four people in line when I did so. She said she would come up as she saw fit, don't hit the button, and then went over to GS to whine about me, I'm sure.

You are reading it wrong. What I meant was that I am going to keep my better people in my work center. There was nothing implied that cashiers are not good people, etc.

OK....thanks for pointing out what you meant by your comment.

You are reading way too far into this as far as personal insults.

This is about utilizing team members to their maximum, and if a team member A is better as a SFTM than a Cashier then it's prudent to just use them on the floor and give the cashier shift to someone who a) wants it, and b) is better at it.[/QUOTE

Yes, I realize now that my response was slightly off the mark.

Retail Girl:

I was mostly trained over in GS, but they wouldn't schedule me over there. One day there was a swap shift open for GS. Well, I signed-up for the shift and they "got me trained" before it was time to work the shift.

For my store, I think they were concerned about a TM being at GS without the proper training. So, when I signed up for the shift they had no choice but to get me trained. Perhaps you could try this, too.....because once you are scheduled to work somewhere then they'll have to get you trained or else they might get into trouble.

I did fine the night I was by myself for a few hours....I just need the extra little things that a shift with someone would probably iron out. I'm getting impatient and telling every SrTL I see that I would cross-train into their dept in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back