Schedule/planning around all dbos setting transitions

Hey, curious how it may be handled elsewhere. How does the schedule get written around the DBO setting their own transitions and doing it early as it rolls off truck? Does SD write the whole thing or TL sit in on that?

DBOs don't set their own transitions at my store and we don't set early. Myself and one other presentation expert are scheduled and then we supplement with people from that dept or others who are trained in setting. My ETL would love for us to get to the point of setting early before it comes off the truck but we haven't managed it yet. Could have without the fixture room refresh.

For ODL set, I have people from all over the store setting with me, with differing skill levels. The ETL who writes the GM schedules always talks through the large sets with the TL to make sure we have enough people to set and the right people as well.

I know for a fact we weren't scheduled all the hours we needed to set cosmetics. That's one reason no capacities were changed. We barely got done setting.
We had TM's scheduled for the cosmetic set, but ended up having to burn those hours in other areas of the store. We're not done with our set yet.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Classic Target move! 🤣
We get less hours than set calendar estimates and our presentation tm's lose 1/3 or more of the week helping elsewhere - huddle, backup cashier, flex, pricing. We should be ahead but barely finish each week - never 100 %, there's always something left undone.

We get less hours than set calendar estimates and our presentation tm's lose 1/3 or more of the week helping elsewhere - huddle, backup cashier, flex, pricing. We should be ahead but barely finish each week - never 100 %, there's always something left undone.

We don't help with any of those things and can still barely finish everything on time every week.

Oh, I wish I'd be allowed to set all my transitions. I'm scheduled for a bit extra, but not nearly enough. Other TMs, who don't know my area like I do, are scheduled to do the rest of it. And those TMs aren't the one who will be one pushing truck so all the tweaks are left for me anyway. Yippee, right?
What I don't get is why does it all have to be done in one week? When we had a POG team, that made sense - they'd swoop in, do it all, move on to their next area. If it was spread out over a couple of weeks or so and schedule me for a few more hours, I'd be able to do all of it myself.

Oh, I wish I'd be allowed to set all my transitions. I'm scheduled for a bit extra, but not nearly enough. Other TMs, who don't know my area like I do, are scheduled to do the rest of it. And those TMs aren't the one who will be one pushing truck so all the tweaks are left for me anyway. Yippee, right?
What I don't get is why does it all have to be done in one week? When we had a POG team, that made sense - they'd swoop in, do it all, move on to their next area. If it was spread out over a couple of weeks or so and schedule me for a few more hours, I'd be able to do all of it myself.

A lot of areas switch out too quickly to be spread out evenly. And many areas are more time consuming to get thru or move around and need to be done back to back together. I always wish for more evenly spread workload too, but it always seem to be feast or famine.

It's easier for a chem dbo to set their own transition than it is for a toy dbo. Less product to touch, less fixtures to touch, less new items coming in. Having a DBO help with a transition is a huge benefit if done with forethought. Last week in cosmetics we moved all the clearance to the endcaps. At the end of the week, the cosmetics TM finally got around to price change and it all went salvage. With forethought, it could have been taken salvage before we even got in there to set. A DBO who's on top of it would have avoided all that extra work.

I set as soon as time allows and the label strips come into the store.

I always try to get a jump on things, because you never know when it's all going to go to shit.

I can usually set endcaps as it comes in off the truck, but not entire resets. Product was in the door just before the label strips.

There's no way our store spent the "allocated hours" for the cosmetics and HBA reset, accurately. Not sure where the hours went, but I know those two areas didn't get them.

ETA: I am sure that if I asked around, the same would be true for other areas. I've heard a few different tms/DBOs bring up the issue.

A DBO who's on top of it would have avoided all that extra work.
Exactly. Which is why I wish I'd be given the opportunity to do all my transition. (My area is not that huge, and could be done with no problem over a couple of weeks.) I'd like to be able to fix capacities, especially when it's significant, at the time. And do things like use magnetic dividers in places where they make sense and help, leave them aside where they don't. Stuff like that.
Even a large area like Toys could be split up - young children, Barbie, Lego, etc. But it's not like I'm in a position to have any influence over these things.

I pretty much run Tech so for the most part the ETL leaves us alone. Last week and this week all of the work load, pricing, and RFID for Tech and Entertainment were done by the end of day on Tuesday. We have finished 3 revisions of next week's work load, and the rest of this week I'm planning for us to get done 3 revisions for the week of the 23rd. Sundays and Mondays we concentrate on the new release revisions.

Typically cosmetics and coolers/freezers salvage the week of the set. Once I had stationary salvage the week of the set. That was awesome.

When I first took over my area, I fixed things all the time. Fixed capacities, OHs, On Floor Counts, etc. Added dividers and pushers where I thought they would work best. Just did it while I was stocking.

Typically cosmetics and coolers/freezers salvage the week of the set. Once I had stationary salvage the week of the set. That was awesome.
I think food salvaging the week of the set is an awful idea. People buy clearance food. Last year, I did an additional markdown on all the freezer food and ended up salvaging 2 eaches after just 1 weekend of having the clearance in the bunker. Guests were incredibly excited.

I think the issue with freezers/coolers is that there just isn't the space to support the clearance. Can't just stick it on an endcap. And I don't mind the salvage -- food bank gets a chunk of it.

I think the issue with freezers/coolers is that there just isn't the space to support the clearance. Can't just stick it on an endcap. And I don't mind the salvage -- food bank gets a chunk of it.

food and bev just rolled out with the new yellow clearance price change labels, you should be already on that process. don't need to pull off shelves to place elsewhere and re-sticker any more

Our clearance all fit on just 1 side of the bunker. Mostly just took away some dual locations for upwards of 10 days

Back