Archived Scheduling issues for bf

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was asked to open then close on bf because we lost half the team and hr didn't think we needed to hire additional people we have about 8 slots on black Friday to fill for Softlines and no people to fill them. The store is super supportive and let us cross train people but at the same time won't let us use them

My things is I'm already doing the over night into thanksgiving morning so I'm going into it with little to no sleep. I so far was the only Tl they asked about it. I said I'll think about it. My parents told me I should feel honored they asked me and say yes. So my schedule would be wed 10:00pm-8am thurs 11:30-8 Friday 3-midnight is anyone else here doing something like that?

Wow and I thought I was getting screwed by having to do two over-nights and sleeping through Thanksgiving.
I don't think honored is the word I would use.
If you really need the money, go for it.
Otherwise I would politely decline the privilege.

I'm with commiecorvus, honored isn't the word that I would choose, but, overtime is never a bad thing!!! Personally I can hardly imagine staying until midnight, it's just way too late for me, guess that's what working at 5am every day does to a person. I would rather work the overnights, which it appears is exactly what I will be doing!

Our store is having backroom do 6 days a week (voluntary) through Crimmus (48 hours per week). Anyone else doing that?

So is this why they cut hours all year, and I mean all year, from January up to and including this week? To give everyone 40 hours, plus overtime, the week of Thanksgiving/Black Friday?

I kind of hope most of the Backroom AM and Flow TMs that management expects to take the 40+ hours, after only giving them 20 hours a week all year, tells management to go to hell. Maybe then they'll wake up...probably not.

Seasonal hires? We're suppose to hire 60 across the store, we're nowhere close to that number.

So is this why they cut hours all year, and I mean all year, from January up to and including this week? To give everyone 40 hours, plus overtime, the week of Thanksgiving/Black Friday?

I kind of hope most of the Backroom AM and Flow TMs that management expects to take the 40+ hours, after only giving them 20 hours a week all year, tells management to go to hell. Maybe then they'll wake up...probably not.

Seasonal hires? We're suppose to hire 60 across the store, we're nowhere close to that number.

Hours that are cut, are NOT banked for later use. Once they're cut, you don't get them back. Several of the ETLs told me this in person.

We are supposed to flex hours up/down based on sales volume. If we are doing really bad on sales, the LOD will usually tell me to ask cashiers to leave early/not come in.

Go for it! You will get brownie points for it with your sl-etl. Then ask for 2 days off in a row next week.

Last edited:
Hours that are cut, are NOT banked for later use. Once they're cut, you don't get them back. Several of the ETLs told me this in person.

We are supposed to flex hours up/down based on sales volume. If we are doing really bad on sales, the LOD will usually tell me to ask cashiers to leave early/not come in.

Strange, I was told by my STL that all of first and second quarter we were staffing under projections so we could 'bank' hours for Q4... perhaps he was just trying to make us feel good about being short handed, lol.

The ETLs at my store say the opposite.

I'll be working 12a-8:30a Thursday, 12a-8:30a Friday. Thankfully, my daughter is going to cook most of the dinner for the family. I'll just catch an hour or 2 here and there. I'll be running on adrenaline (and coffee) BF!

All these decades, you would think I could have at least 1 black Friday off!!

We're switching overnight for 4th quarter. 2230-0700 for me.

As a backroom TM, I'm guessing 2230-0700 on Wed/Thur. Back at work 2300 (or earlier) on Thanksgiving and have leave 1200 on Black Friday (depends how busy is the store). Back at work at 2230 for trailer.

Yea, pretty much a lot of energy drink for Thanksgiving for me.

I work at Wally and I found out last night that I will be working 5 p.m. Thursday to 2 a.m. Friday. I will probably have to work 10 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Saturday, which is my normal shift. I usually don't have to work Wednesday nights but if I do, I would have only 10 hours between shifts on Thursday. Fortunately, my mom has agreed to have Thanksgiving dinner on Friday, in part because we don't know when my sister and brother-in-law will be coming in from out of town.
My store is having sales at 10 p.m. Thanksgiving night and then 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. on Black Friday. At least everyone from my shift will be there at 5 p.m. Thanksgiving night and no one is happy about this development but I think we're venting our frustrations now so that when the day comes, we'll just be there.

I'll be working 12a-8:30a Thursday, 12a-8:30a Friday. Thankfully, my daughter is going to cook most of the dinner for the family. I'll just catch an hour or 2 here and there. I'll be running on adrenaline (and coffee) BF!

All these decades, you would think I could have at least 1 black Friday off!!

You'd think but.....naaah!

Kudos to your daughter for cooking that day. You've got a good kid :)

We already beat this horse to death in another thread. I don't remember who was right.
Well like everything, it's hard to say what is right, because every ETL at every store, seems to say something different about any issue, depending on what day you ask them. Ask the same ETL the same question a week later, and it's very possible their answer will be completely different.

We are having a similar issue of staffing as 24 hours gig on bf. We are trying have to proper coverage all night & day, we are about 15 to 20 folks short.

We are having a similar issue of staffing as 24 hours gig on bf. We are trying have to proper coverage all night & day, we are about 15 to 20 folks short.

we are having similar issues - would have been fine I think - if we had about a weeks more notice. I'm just saying that last minute notice - I'm not impressed since we will have not enough people + some that are so new they may run for the hills after a few hours.

I may be working a double in 2 different workstations unless something gets fixed :O

we are having similar issues - would have been fine I think - if we had about a weeks more notice. I'm just saying that last minute notice - I'm not impressed since we will have not enough people + some that are so new they may run for the hills after a few hours.

Yeah, I think this decision to open at midnight on BF was done in a hurry by corporate. Every store is having a hard time staffing this year. My ETL broke the news to the Flow Team last night that we need 10-12 TMs from our team for cashiers. He was taking volunteers, but said that if we still didn't have enough people, he would have to schedule us whether we wanted to work or not...whether we were trained on the register or not.

I got a pass, at least so far, because I volunteered to come in at 9PM on Thanksgiving to pull the autofills that mysteriously drop every holiday whether we are open or not. We will see if that pass hold up.

Last edited:
Our store is having backroom do 6 days a week (voluntary) through Crimmus (48 hours per week). Anyone else doing that?

I wish they would do that at my store. Sure it sucks to work 48 hours a week, but I could use the money. It's only for 6 weeks anyway. I would do it in a heartbeat but my STL is too cheap to pay OT right now...or least until the backroom "blows up" and we can't walk back there! I am so thankful I am no longer a leader.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back