SD playing favorites, secretly hired seasonal TM (w/ no experience) as the new TL

I have been working at my target for about two years along side several other good team members. A lot of us have previous managerial experience, and extremely good attendance/work ethic. In November, like many other stores, we began hiring season workers. Fast forward to February... They just told a seasonally employe that they would be making her permanent and promoting her to TL. This was done without the knowledge of the other team members, who would have liked to apply had they know they were looking for someone. It’s clear to everyone that they are playing favorites as this girl just started a few months ago and has no previous experience. She is still in college (with about two years to go) and had no formal training. There was a ten minute interview that she told us about where she mostly just talked shop with the SD. Interested in finding out targets policy on seniority/ informing eligible team members about positions. I also heard you couldn’t be a TL in college/without a bachelors.

Anyone can be a TL, there have even been TLs under 18 before. Corporate prefers Executives to have a 4 year degree (ETL).

We hired a seasonal that another store was going to hire as a TM and made them a TL right out of the gate at our store. Your store should have let you know that they were looking for a TL position to be filled for a moot of reasons I don’t want to type out on my phone. However, if this twit was promoted it’s because they already knew they wanted her to promote. This wasn’t a decision your SD made on their own.

Last I knew internals stilled has to interview with DSD to promote to TL? Did yours not?

Anyone can be a TL, there have even been TLs under 18 before. Corporate prefers Executives to have a 4 year degree (ETL).

We hired a seasonal that another store was going to hire as a TM and made them a TL right out of the gate at our store. Your store should have let you know that they were looking for a TL position to be filled for a moot of reasons I don’t want to type out on my phone. However, if this twit was promoted it’s because they already knew they wanted her to promote. This wasn’t a decision your SD made on their own.

Last I knew internals stilled has to interview with DSD to promote to TL? Did yours not?
No DSD interview for internal TL promotions here is Nebraska.

Not anymore .

I have been working at my target for about two years along side several other good team members. A lot of us have previous managerial experience, and extremely good attendance/work ethic. In November, like many other stores, we began hiring season workers. Fast forward to February... They just told a seasonally employe that they would be making her permanent and promoting her to TL. This was done without the knowledge of the other team members, who would have liked to apply had they know they were looking for someone. It’s clear to everyone that they are playing favorites as this girl just started a few months ago and has no previous experience. She is still in college (with about two years to go) and had no formal training. There was a ten minute interview that she told us about where she mostly just talked shop with the SD. Interested in finding out targets policy on seniority/ informing eligible team members about positions. I also heard you couldn’t be a TL in college/without a bachelors.

Target has a merit based pay structure so there is definitely no rules around seniority.

As far as a policy that states they must post a position, there may still be one, but if there is, it's functionally useless. Would you have preferred they interview you and then tell you no? It would not have changed the outcome.

Hard work does not = promotion. A good work ethic does not mean you will be a good leader. Connections and perception get you promoted, not your hard work.

If you’re interested in promoting you have to let the SD know ahead of time so you can be groomed. This seasonal person probably talked with them about wanting to move up. And she had to pass an interview at least by phone with the dsd.

Back