Archived Seasonal Cashier HELP!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my first official day of work was today (seasonal cashier) and it's also my very first job. i was barely trained (i shadowed someone and was shadowed by someone for about 10 minutes each) but i know how to do most things on the register (i think).

my questions are how do you handle a guest who wants to sign up for a redcard, like what are you supposed to do/give them? (i've asked a few times and no one wants to sign up) also do i have to tell a team leader anything when i'm going to clock out after my shift is over, and do i have to do anything with the register or money (besides sign off) when i'm done with my shift? and do i go to any register when my shift starts or will someone tell me which lane to go to? i probably sound stupid but literally no one told me these things! please help!

Welcome to the team! There are no stupid questions but those that you don't ask. Registers are massive machines that can be complicated. For the most part, the register will tell you everything you have to do to finish the transaction (The ones at my store have little animated pictures). Don't worry about the R/G speed scores, focus on accuracy and the speed will gradually come with it.
how do you handle a guest who wants to sign up for a redcard
You should have RedCard applications in your lane drawer. Scan the barcode on them, and select if it is a credit or debit application using the K function keys (The yellow keys) (The register will show what key is what option). Follow the register prompts from there, it will ask for ID and a check (Debit app only). If the guest is approved a temporary slip will print out, they can use this like a card until the real one shows up. If the application requires further review, something will print out saying that. You can continue to ring things up as the guest completes the application on the PIN pad/card reader.
do i have to tell a team leader anything when i'm going to clock out after my shift is over
When it is getting close to the end of your shift (usually about 5 minutes before) you should turn off your light so that you can sign off when your shift is over. Finish ringing up your guests and let the GSTL or GSA know you're leaving. Your store may have the GSTL (Guest Services Team Leader) or GSA (Guest Service Attendant) tell people when they can leave, so make sure to confirm your store's process.
and do i have to do anything with the register or money (besides sign off) when i'm done with my shift?
Nope, just sign out and head on home! A note about signing out, make sure you ALWAYS sign out any time you step away from your register to go on break or wait for guests. It will kick you out after a certain amount of time, but it is always smart to sign out whenever you step away otherwise someone could do something under your number and get you in trouble.
and do i go to any register when my shift starts or will someone tell me which lane to go to?
When you clock in, go find the GSTL or GSA and they will tell you what lane you are on. The GSTL or GSA can usually be distinguished from regular cashiers because they're the only one with a walkie-talkie, a PDA (The scanner guns or smaller version of them) of some sort, and sometimes a clipboard.

These are general guidelines, but your store might do things differently than mine. Make sure to ask someone at your store to be clear on the policy and how your store handles these sorts of things (lane assignments and clocking out). The RedCard process and not needing to do anything with your register at end of shift are global and apply anywhere.

It is so funny in my store that whenever there is need for additional cashiers (backup), the sales floor people ignore the walkie. I often heard in the walkie the automated voice "additional cashier needed blah blah." Do you guys just say "copy" and go to the front? I'm trying my best to respond to backups since I know the guest at the front lanes comes first (even though I'm not that 100% in using the register).

Sometimes ignoring the walkie is an unconscious mistake, such as if the lady has been saying "This is your restroom checkup reminder" "Restroom follow up is needed" "Registry kiosk thermal paper low. GSTL please respond" and those annoying messages but there has been few "real" calls like fast service needed.... Or additional cashiers...., some TMs just tune out the lady. I do this, but I'm always listening for the two words "Additional cashiers" and "Fast service" at which point I listen. My store has "guest first" hours , if you're on guest first that hour backup at the lanes is your job and nobody else responds unless asked. If you're responding you should always say something over the walkie. My rule of thumb is:

If I'm on guest first and hear the announcement, I respond immediately and sometimes I'm not needed and the GSTL sends me back to the floor.

If I'm not on guest first and I hear the announcement, I wait and if only 1 person or nobody says "copy" or some such thing in about 30 seconds to 1 minute I ask if they still need assistance up front and go from there.

If I'm called by name or they call for all-trained, I respond immediately.

It is so funny in my store that whenever there is need for additional cashiers (backup), the sales floor people ignore the walkie. I often heard in the walkie the automated voice "additional cashier needed blah blah." Do you guys just say "copy" and go to the front? I'm trying my best to respond to backups since I know the guest at the front lanes comes first (even though I'm not that 100% in using the register).

After working at the lanes and on the sales floor, it's actually not all that funny. At my store, the LODs expect immediate responses and get obnoxious on the walkie if nobody responds. If the indyme goes off but the GSTL/GSA doesn't immediately call for back-up or cancel, ask on the walkie if they need a back-up. I often do that because some of our GSAs have a really bad habit of not paying attention to what's going on at the lanes. When I was a cashier, I was the one who pushed the button and encouraged other cashiers to do the same.

After working at the lanes and on the sales floor, it's actually not all that funny. At my store, the LODs expect immediate responses and get obnoxious on the walkie if nobody responds. If the indyme goes off but the GSTL/GSA doesn't immediately call for back-up or cancel, ask on the walkie if they need a back-up. I often do that because some of our GSAs have a really bad habit of not paying attention to what's going on at the lanes. When I was a cashier, I was the one who pushed the button and encouraged other cashiers to do the same.

I wasn't saying it was "funny" literally. I said the word because it is an extreme annoyance (for me anyway) that most sales floor people do not care about responding to backup or when the GSTL is saying "Guest first, guest first, please." I know some people may not sometimes hear it (it has happened to me before), but I've seen people intentionally ignore backup calls (that come from the GSA or GSTL). I don't know how to do several things on the register still, but if I hear if they need assistance I just say "f*** it" about not knowing much and respond to the backup.

I wasn't saying it was "funny" literally. I said the word because it is an extreme annoyance (for me anyway) that most sales floor people do not care about responding to backup or when the GSTL is saying "Guest first, guest first, please." I know some people may not sometimes hear it (it has happened to me before), but I've seen people intentionally ignore backup calls (that come from the GSA or GSTL). I don't know how to do several things on the register still, but if I hear if they need assistance I just say "f*** it" about not knowing much and respond to the backup.

Lol I knew what you meant. It just really pisses me off when people intentionally ignore the indymes.

I'm new to my store and I'm the only one that replies to backups at the front. It annoys the crap out of me when TMs purposely ignore the calls. On Sunday the store was crazy busy and I spent all my time on the register even though I was supposed to be on softlines. I barely got anything done because I was the only one to respond to the additional cashiers calls. And it was so stupid because I knew TMs were ignoring it, and I tried to ignore the calls because I had so much to do, but when 30 seconds go by and no one answers, I felt obligated to answer or nothing would get done.

I always do my best to respond, but if the GSTLs don't say anything after the "additional cashiers to the front lane" I will usually ask over the walkie so I don't end up speed walking from the back of market all the way to the front only for them to say "Oh, a cashier accidentally hit it." If I'm market closer I usually don't respond for a bit because perishables on the floor and all, but I let them know that and they understand since we only have 30 minutes to get it back into the coolers. It does get annoying when you're the only one who responds and then you're stuck up there for an hour.

And it was so stupid because I knew TMs were ignoring it, and I tried to ignore the calls because I had so much to do, but when 30 seconds go by and no one answers, I felt obligated to answer or nothing would get done.

That's when you seek out guests who need assistance or find a reason to go to the backroom. Then someone else will have to respond because you're unavailable to do so. :D Eventually the TL or LOD will start telling people to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back