Archived seasonal softlines backup cashier training HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm a new seasonal softlines team member and I have my cashier training tomorrow and I'm really nervous about it. I'm really uncomfortable with it and would really rather not do it. I don't like dealing with money and people watching me count makes me even more flustered and more nervous. I'm already freaking out thinking I'm going to mess up bad and not remember how to do it. PLEASE HELP!!! how will the training go? what do I do?

If your GSA/GSTL does things right, they'll have you shadow a veteran cashier first, then take you on a practice lane and have you ring up items.

Then, you should be put on an actual lane checking out guests.

With the same, or another, veteran cashier overshadowing you to make sure you are doing everything right.

You'll get used to it :)

First of all, welcome to The Break Room! You may want to 86 your location for the sake of anonymity.

Here is what should* happen. When you start your shift, ask for the GSTL, who will get you started. You'll get a cashier training guide to read through. You'll be paired with a peer trainer, who will use a register in training mode to go over the basics of cashiering and demonstrate different types of transactions with you. After you finish on the training register, your trainer will go on a regular register and cash out guests as you watch and learn, then when you're ready, you'll jump on and cash as your trainer observes. If, by some turn of events, your trainer's shift doesn't line up with yours, you'll be paired with a trusted veteran cashier.

*Different stores handle training differently. This is how I was trained when dinosaurs roamed the earth (three years ago). I was seasonal too.

The register software is pretty straight-forward, so you don't have to worry about that. If you're not used to dealing with people, cashiering can serve as a crash course - you get used to it after a little while. This time of year, retail can get overwhelming, but you just have to remember to breathe. If you need help and/or don't feel comfortable with something, talk to your GSTL (or softlines TL once you start training on the floor).

Welcome to Spot!

Back-up cashiering can be a little crazy. It is one of the reasons we take all team members are train them a day at the registers before sending them to the floor in my store. Training for all cashiers is the same at my store. You are given a register in training mode and a nice book to work through different types of transactions. Once you have completed that the GSA/GSTL will do your Check for Understanding. If you pass, which almost everyone does, you will go to shadowing a vet. They should talk you through their transactions and let to watch closely. Typically we let you watch till your first break. When you come back, you take over as the main cashier with the vet watching.

If you don't get the cashier training, tell your GSA/ETL-SL/ETL-HR that you have not done your cashier training and they can see to it that you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back