Archived Secret shoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
At times Secret Shoppers will identify themselves. Or they can identified as guests pay all or most of the transaction in giftcards.

I have performed over 20,000 shops and probably only 20 at Target. I have NEVER been asked to pay with gift cards at Target, never. It is extremely rare to be required to pay with gift cards on any shop.

I don't remember how I got started with this company, I've been intermittently gigging with them for about 10 years now. And honestly, I hadn't logged into their site for about a year until this discussion. Shoppers select from available assignments, they are never just handed to you. Maybe assignment isn't the right word to use.

I have done shops where the target product was relatively expensive, and in one particular case, I negotiated an up-front to help pay for the product in the quantities that were being requested. I've done shops where I'm reporting information about the type and quantity of mail I get on a daily basis, so no financial outlay, just time. I've done product taste testing shops where they've sent me a weekly shipment of unmarked boxes of cereal to eat for a week and report back on my opinions of each.

An actual in-store audit assignment I had: "Go to the location listed on the survey. Buy all of the 'damaged' (product name). Any product that appears to be packaged properly can be left on the shelf. Fee plus reimbursement for product. Hold on to product for 1 week in case we have additional questions, then it's yours to keep as well."

The issue with the damages was that the packaging was held closed with essentially a clear sticker, and those stickers did not adhere very well. By that time, I was also working at my current day job, where I do package testing. It was insanely tempting to bring them in to work and have my boss reach out to that company to offer our services

I then had to submit a form detailing what flavors were available, how many of each flavor were damaged and purchased, and how many undamaged were left. I also had to provide pictures of how the product was shelved - and in that particular assignment, the product was on the top shelf of the gondola with a pillar blocking access to one of the available flavors - and a copy of my receipt for reimbursement.

With that one, I ended up with about a dozen boxes of seasoning-and-side-dish in a variety of flavors. I remember that the kiddo only liked one of them, though.

That's all product retrieval, not mystery shopping. That company does mystery shops as well though.

I also did that same product retrieval; I think that it was seasoning for potatoes?

We have guests that need personal shopping done usually around the holidays or like an elderly getting their shopping done

I also did that same product retrieval; I think that it was seasoning for potatoes?

The seasoning was for the meat entree, and then seasoned mashed potatoes to go on the side, IIRC.

My favorite GSA said we had secret shopper today and she came through my lane. I guess she said good things about me, as I helped her with a Cartwheel problem, although I think I did that a lot today.

itsajob

My favorite GSA said we had secret shopper today and she came through my lane. I guess she said good things about me, as I helped her with a Cartwheel problem, although I think I did that a lot today.

itsajob

That was an internal person checking. Not a mystery shopper. the only time you would know if there was a mystery shopper there is if they had to reveal themselves to do an award for a positive behavior or to issue an "unsuccessful" certificate to a GSTL or STL. They don't go through the lane and tell the GSA anything. They go home and upload a report on a website, it gets reviewed and then goes to the client.

We have guests that need personal shopping done usually around the holidays or like an elderly getting their shopping done
I was a shopper for a blind couple once.
They were doing some personal shopping (music CDs & household stuff) as well as getting a wedding present from registry. Also picked out wrapping paper & a bow so I could wrap their gift.
They were a hoot to visit with & fun to shop for; I told my ETL I'd gladly shop for them whenever they came in.

That was an internal person checking. Not a mystery shopper. the only time you would know if there was a mystery shopper there is if they had to reveal themselves to do an award for a positive behavior or to issue an "unsuccessful" certificate to a GSTL or STL. They don't go through the lane and tell the GSA anything. They go home and upload a report on a website, it gets reviewed and then goes to the client.
Are you speaking on behalf of Target? Because the term "secret shopper" is used by leadership, and leadership does get the feedback of what happened and how they were treated in the store.

My store sometimes uses "Secret Shopper" when it is actually a BP or DTL doing a service visit. They think it sounds scarier I guess. Leadership gets feedback.

Are you speaking on behalf of Target? Because the term "secret shopper" is used by leadership, and leadership does get the feedback of what happened and how they were treated in the store.
The words "secret shopper" and "mystery shopper" are often used interchangeably.

Target may use "internal" people to spy on TM's. A true mystery shop is done by an outside firm, completely undercover, unless a reveal is required. So, in this case, when they say, "Secret Shopper," it means their buddy went through your line and reported back. No guidelines, etc. Target's way out doing it cheap - shocking, I'm sure.

Target used to use the same firm that had me going to Disneyland every 2 weeks for 13 years. At Target, we would buy >$50 worth of merchandise (our choice) and then hope that the salesfloor TM's would offer assistance and hope that that cashier would offer the Red Card. After paying, the shopper would go to GS and ask for the GSTL. We had $50 gift cards for successful TMs. The program was discontinued over 10 years ago.

I know that the credit card company sends mystery shoppers through the lines to open Red Cards. It has to do with compliance. Saying things such as, "It's totally free, like a rewards program," are huge issues. You'll never know if the guest who opened the card was a shopper. This program is still currently running. I see the job postings. I am not eligible for it, since I have had a Red Card since it was a Visa and I also worked at Target at one time.

Hope that helps.

The words "secret shopper" and "mystery shopper" are often used interchangeably.

Target may use "internal" people to spy on TM's. A true mystery shop is done by an outside firm, completely undercover, unless a reveal is required. So, in this case, when they say, "Secret Shopper," it means their buddy went through your line and reported back. No guidelines, etc. Target's way out doing it cheap - shocking, I'm sure.

Target used to use the same firm that had me going to Disneyland every 2 weeks for 13 years. At Target, we would buy >$50 worth of merchandise (our choice) and then hope that the salesfloor TM's would offer assistance and hope that that cashier would offer the Red Card. After paying, the shopper would go to GS and ask for the GSTL. We had $50 gift cards for successful TMs. The program was discontinued over 10 years ago.

I know that the credit card company sends mystery shoppers through the lines to open Red Cards. It has to do with compliance. Saying things such as, "It's totally free, like a rewards program," are huge issues. You'll never know if the guest who opened the card was a shopper. This program is still currently running. I see the job postings. I am not eligible for it, since I have had a Red Card since it was a Visa and I also worked at Target at one time.

Hope that helps.
Yep, I was just told it was the wife of our district leader that came through my lane. She was in the store our store for while before reporting her findings to her husband and then him coming in to talk to the LOD and I guess the GSA. Sounds like she had a bad experience at the fitting room, no experience in beauty, and an okay experience in electronics. I was told the fitting rooms were a mess and two ladies working there were more interested in gabbing than anything. In beauty no one was to be found, as that team member was busy in back doing something. In electronics I think the new guy was there and he got busy with guests and did not call for a back-up or did no one responded.

itsajob

Undercover target person reemed our etl ge last night for the team not servicinv them at all. Every dept apparently. Checklanes were way to backed up and I guess they over heard electronics calling for a carry out the whole time they were there. We all got pretty brutal lectures and flat out threatened that we will be terminated if one more secrect shopper complains about us. Said it would be slighted as a performance issue and she has no problems cannin all of us since we are starting seasonal hire and have plenty of replacements. Fun times -_-

Undercover target person reemed our etl ge last night for the team not servicinv them at all. Every dept apparently. Checklanes were way to backed up and I guess they over heard electronics calling for a carry out the whole time they were there. We all got pretty brutal lectures and flat out threatened that we will be terminated if one more secrect shopper complains about us. Said it would be slighted as a performance issue and she has no problems cannin all of us since we are starting seasonal hire and have plenty of replacements. Fun times -_-

That’s exactly the level of loyalty shown to veteran TMs/leaders by corporate. Spot has no concept of dancing with the one that brought you, so apparently if you have been there long enough to cost them more in pay or benefits, you are expendable.🙄🤬🤯

That’s exactly the level of loyalty shown to veteran TMs/leaders by corporate. Spot has no concept of dancing with the one that brought you, so apparently if you have been there long enough to cost them more in pay or benefits, you are expendable.🙄🤬🤯
More in pay hah we are all making 12 dollars per hour now.

At the same time though, why would the veteran people not know that part of the job description is to manage to say "hello" to guests, and why should they be given a pass when they can't squeak out a nice greeting? That's pretty bad that an entire store won't say hello. Since it is an entire store and not just a few people, it sounds like they know they can get away with ignoring guests and they don't care to do different.

I suspect there's a lot more to the story. I can't imagine that not a single TM acknowledged this guest, unless they were all backing up on lanes because the store was understaffed and crazy busy, and there wasn't anyone ON the floor to service them. I've had days like that.

Me too. Sounds like they were overwhelmed on a busy Saturday night and trying to deal with it, but it’s hard to believe that no one in the entire store greeted this shopper. TMs are held accountable for their performance, but it’s still extreme to threaten to terminate the entire team on the word of one mystery shopper. Maybe there were call offs. Maybe the few, if any, TMs on the floor were helping other guests, or maybe they were all backing up the checklanes. If the guest is underserved, the store is probably understaffed, and that is not the fault of the TMs.

Me too. Sounds like they were overwhelmed on a busy Saturday night and trying to deal with it, but it’s hard to believe that no one in the entire store greeted this shopper. TMs are held accountable for their performance, but it’s still extreme to threaten to terminate the entire team on the word of one mystery shopper. Maybe there were call offs. Maybe the few, if any, TMs on the floor were helping other guests, or maybe they were all backing up the checklanes. If the guest is underserved, the store is probably understaffed, and that is not the fault of the TMs.
This!!!

I suspect there's a lot more to the story. I can't imagine that not a single TM acknowledged this guest, unless they were all backing up on lanes because the store was understaffed and crazy busy, and there wasn't anyone ON the floor to service them. I've had days like that.
I have shopped at target, other than the one work at, walked through the store looked for someone in each department finally found one person in grocery and I had to ask him even though I stood next to him for a good minute with it with no acknowledgments at all.

I feel lime we deserved a big of elaboration on the not being greeted part. We were swamped sautrday all of us were on checklanes 15 to 40 mins at a time. Our gsa doesnt even bother trying to get us off anymore. The call came from headquarters according to the tm who took it before transferring it to the etl. So whoever it was was associated with a big wig in some way I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back