Archived Seeking Advice - adding 2nd job // changing my schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only been with target for a short while - since November. While I really love most of my fellow tms, and enjoy working in a customer based enviro again - I've been presented with the opportunity to take a position with a previous employer. I worked for this employer for two years, ending only when there was no longer capacity for my position. ( I left on good terms, and would not have left if I didn't have to). Anyhow, I had a call with them a day or two ago indicating they want to bring me back in at least a part time capacity where my starting pay would be about double or more of what I make at target. The offer would be for me to start within a week or two - basically as soon as I can commit to 20 hrs that align with their schedule ... And if all goes well they are hoping to offer me full time by July. I can't pass up the opportunity to be back in my chosen field, or to make some real money ( enough for bills, groceries and maybe even a little left over -- how novel!) . However, I don't want to / can't financially leave Target ... until (maybe) the full time offer becomes available. And even if it does, I would like to leave on good terms in case I wanted to return -- highly likely this position would only last thru the end of the year.

Does anyone have advice on how I should proceed? I'm guessing the best person to discuss this with would be my HR? Or is it preferred to go through my tl ? And How much detail should I provide when explaining my possible new job and change in availability (currently open and work consistently 30-40 hrs a week (as many as I can)) -- I'm looking to reduce to 20-25 hrs a week max. Also, the emoloyer I'm in talks with is open to being somewhat flexible on my scheduling days/hours -- I'm thinking for me it'd be easiest to offer 3 or 4 days to each employer respectively, instead of chancing overlap .... But don't want to seem so narrow as to not get shifts at target (I've seen it happen to 2 fellow tms who got second jobs recently, where they get one shift a week despite being available a fair amount still). And should I be forthcoming now about the possibility that I'd be leaving or restricting myself even more drastically in a few months if offered ft? I have fairly good work relationships with all of my lods && from the feedback I've gotten thus far, I am noted as a hard worker . I've never called off / no showed, never even given up a shift I was assigned, was late once (by 30ish mins because my car battery died - but I called as soon as I found that out & it seemed to be ok), no compliance issues, generally left to my tasks without much oversight as I'm trusted to do what is asked and complete it...etc. so I'm hopeful they will be understanding and attempt to wrk with me. Just seeking advice from anyone experienced on my best path forward .

Change your availablity.

I'm going to have to tell someone because all of the availability changes in my store are being auto denied for some reason. Even our leadership acknowledged this is happening... Just not that close with my tl, nor do we work together often.... Just not sure if it's ok to bypass and mention the change to HR directly.

You'll be working your new job 20 hours a week and making at least double your current hourly pay? Why can't you just quit Target then?

You'll be working your new job 20 hours a week and making at least double your current hourly pay? Why can't you just quit Target then?

Really? Even if the job pays over $20/hr. would be hard pressed to live off $400/week, especially if you have a mortgage or student loans, or want to save for retirement.

I work another job too. 40 hours It doesn't have flexible hours though. My availability with Target is basically 5-close, M-F and open Sat/Sun. I consistently get 22-29 hours and I'm fine with that. Just change it in the computer...and put a note that you have to accommodate a second job. Get all your ducks in a row 1st though...and make the other employer is cool with the availability hours you select.

Last edited:
You might also want to consider leaving one day as unavailable to both employers. That way you're less likely to burn out and have a guaranteed day off each week.

^^ this. I work in a school setting so I know it won't be so bad in the summer but now...it sucks just knowing that I am working every.single.day.

You might also want to consider leaving one day as unavailable to both employers. That way you're less likely to burn out and have a guaranteed day off each week.
I agree with this, I worked 2 jobs and never had a day off. I burned myself out and ended up having to cut back the other job almost completely because I was just so exhausted.

Really? Even if the job pays over $20/hr. would be hard pressed to live off $400/week, especially if you have a mortgage or student loans, or want to save for retirement.
I would find it hard too. But if that kind of paycheck has already been working out, why not continue to receive a similar amount while only working half as much as before?

I have worked two jobs, averaging 60 hours a week, for well over a year now and I would not wish this upon anyone if they can avoid it.

Well, as much as I would love to - what I have been making at Target hasn't been paying the bills. If I could literally work 40 hrs a week every week - it would come just close enough. No groceries or gas, but bills paid. But that doesn't happen hours wise. And I've been getting substantial financial assistance from my family since working at target - so I can pay bills & still eat. My last job in my career path paid $24/hr and provided fully paid health insurance (top tier) on top of that. .... So it's been a major adjustment. Which I'm fine with spending less freely & can budget ok - but I'd like to eventually be able to move somewhere nicer, get a brand new nice couch, save for a new car / retirement / anything. This time last year I had a massive car repair needed (unexpectedly as I drive a newer car with low mileage) and if that happened today I'd be up a creek. My savings is all but decimated. I also attempted to get "assistance" before - or a reprieve on my 3 student loans, but both attempts ended with me being told I made just a "shade too much" to qualify. .... I make less working 35ish (avg) hrs a week at target than when I was on unemployment in 2014. It's hysterical, but not ....

^^ this. I work in a school setting so I know it won't be so bad in the summer but now...it sucks just knowing that I am working every.single.day.

I agree with this, I worked 2 jobs and never had a day off. I burned myself out and ended up having to cut back the other job almost completely because I was just so exhausted.

I was just reassessing this in my head, the schedule I want to set. I really don't want to work 7 days a week - at least not every week, always. But I worry if I don't offer enough open days to target I will get little to no hours.... And there is almost no reason for me to stay at Target if I am not get 15+ hours a week. I don't mean to sound petty - but I really would prefer 20-25 a week to still take home a "worthwhile" paycheck biweekly..... Because if it's peanuts or no hours. I'm guessing I could find more somewhere else. ((I almost certainly could go work for a long time family friends business - I was making $9 an hour cash when I quit in college.... But that's the issue is - they refused to put me on the books. ))

Idk. I'm just torn, the whole point in pursuing this job opp is to make more money again to live a little less stressed & hopefully maybe parlay it into something bigger. But if It's just an even trade off - I think I'd be better to just stay at target ..... They claim they want to help me eventually move upwards , and I adore 99% of my leadership and team. The retail schedule thing is not ideal. Lol. And I don't call off - so guess I've got to make a choice. Money or sanity.....

Did you finish college? Is working your way up in retail either a short or long term goal?

Make some scenarios of possible work schedules between the 2 jobs, and list out the pros and cons of each. This may help you see which scenario will best meet your needs and goals.

I had 7 day a week availability, but not open. Target wasn't my primary source of income, just for a few extra bucks. However, my store's availability requirements were a pain. With the crazy scheduling, and clopening, I decided the little bit of money I was making wasn't worth the hassle. Or the pressure to get Red cards.

Did you finish college? Is working your way up in retail either a short or long term goal?

Make some scenarios of possible work schedules between the 2 jobs, and list out the pros and cons of each. This may help you see which scenario will best meet your needs and goals.

I had 7 day a week availability, but not open. Target wasn't my primary source of income, just for a few extra bucks. However, my store's availability requirements were a pain. With the crazy scheduling, and clopening, I decided the little bit of money I was making wasn't worth the hassle. Or the pressure to get Red cards.

I graduated college in 2010 & worked in my field for almost five years. The position I'm taking now is back in that area. I honestly never even intended to end up doing the work I was doing - I had fully intended to go back to law school & get a joint masters degree (for fun) -- however, I needed a mental break and financially couldn't pass up making the money I was making / paying down some of the undergraduate debt && ending up loving what I was doing. I would have no problem being gainfully employed in that field if I were more willing to relocate (frequently - I.e. every year or two) but due to some family issues I'm not really able or willing to at this point. Which is how, long story short I went through three jobs & 7 months of UE (paid) in the last year and a half.

I had no desire to work my way up in retail - it was meant to be a "hold me over". However, i like the atmosphere & was somewhat wooed by leadership about my potential to be upwardly mobile quick... Which i only guess now was not really accurate, but more of a selling tactic. There is basically no where for me to go upwards in my store for a long time unless someone were to get fired.

If I felt more certain about my second job being guaranteed for a longer period - or the prospect I have for a similar job in the same area I've been discussing with another potential employer for 2017 i'd worry less about target. But the field I worked in / am going back to is fickle & hard to count on... Whereas I can count on Target more so. I feel like I'm a fairly good employee && have great recommendations from all past employers -- but finding work has been really difficult since my last career field job. I guess since I had the luxury of money and job security so easily / so long after college - I'm finding it very nerve wracking with all these uncertainties .... I just wish it were as simple as work hard and do well, and you can afford the measley life you want to exsist. And I'm tired of having to rely on my families generosity -- they aren't exactly rich && I've always been able to support myself before. I don't want to make a misstep and end off worse than now. It's been really mentally and emotionally taxing.

But thanks all for your advice. It's given me something to chew on until I meet with second employer to set a schedule in a few days.

All of our availability changes get auto denied. If you try to ask for one in person you get push back and it often causes many people to quit.

All of our availability changes get auto denied. If you try to ask for one in person you get push back and it often causes many people to quit.

I'm happy to say since posting this I was able to discuss with our etl one night when they were closing & I was as well. They were fairly forthright that I had to keep open availability on the Saturday / Sunday days - but aside from that they could be fairly flexible with my weekdays. I have to turn in my new availability tomorrow since I start working for the second job remotely this week - and officially in their offices by the 18th. I'm all set aside from whether or not I am offering three or four days to Target - with the ultimate goal of three shifts a week. I'm fine with my day off floating - and occasionally (literally) not having a day off.... But for the most part I need one - for my mental wellbeing. Guess I can sleep on it.

My new ETL flat out told me he will deny my change and that he's gonna force the other backroom members to open up their available.

My new ETL flat out told me he will deny my change and that he's gonna force the other backroom members to open up their available.

That's going to go over like a lead balloon.
Nothing like telling people who have had the same day off for years that they can't anymore.
What a great way to lose employees.
Welcome to management by idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back