Archived Servant Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amber19renee83

Do you think servant leadership is the best type of leadership? Why or why not?

giphy.gif

Clueless. Never heard of it.
Basically puttibg the needs of your team before yourself. The theory is that the more you do for your team the more you'll get in return from your team.

Then again it’s an easy way to get walked over too.
One of the qualities of a servant leader is someone who develops their team. So you still coach your team by holding them accountable.

You have to strike the balance, another member on here has said, to help your team start , jump in the middle , or help them finish. Work hand in hand with them. Lead by example, but do not carry them. You will essentially handicap them. You want to create leaders, not followers and not copycats.

You have to strike the balance, another member on here has said, to help your team start , jump in the middle , or help them finish. Work hand in hand with them. Lead by example, but do not carry them. You will essentially handicap them. You want to create leaders, not followers and not copycats.
I think regardless of your leadership style, every TL/LOD should do this. The one LOD I respected the most did this. He was not afraid to help out at all. He would not ask anything of you that he wouldn't do.

I feel like this broad, out-of-the-blue question likely has a story behind it... probably some frustration too... ?
No. Just something that was said to me by my DM. To be a servant leader

If I ever become a TL I will be an "Example Leader" (My wording, fuck you target, this definityion does not adhere to my firing).

A "Servant TL:", better be bringing me some fucking coffee.

Servant leadership is a leadership philosophy.
Traditional leadership generally involves the exercise of power by one at the “top of the pyramid.”
By comparison, the servant-leader shares power, puts the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible.

That's straight from the Center for Servant Leadership.
So I'm guessing (since I wasn't willing to shell out for the leadership training) is that this is a new business 'paradigm' like Steven Covey's "Seven Habits" etc.
Not saying it's bad but I will admit to a bias, someone is paying their bills with it and that makes me itch.
There are very probably very good ideas in their philosophy but they have turned it into something to sell to corporations, a bible for young ETLs to beat others over the head with when that was exactly what you were not supposed to do.
With any program like this (or any philosophy) take what works for (or adjust it to work in your environment) and move on.

Last edited:
I think the idea is that you do everything you can within reason for your team, and they will do the same for you.

It reminds leaders that their team is made up of people. People with lives outside work. People with stressors and skills and ambitions.

The old leadership models were based on the theory that you could beat good work out of people. We have since learned that you get more out of people by treating them like people, not slaves.

It does not mean getting walked on. It doesn’t mean that if a cashier calls off, the leader should sit on a register all night. It means taking the people asset into account and understanding that you will sometimes reallocate resources to things that do not directly add sales. You don’t beat up people to force them to do better, you inspire them to want to be better.

A company’s people are their greatest asset, not their biggest burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back