SETL routines, got my first coaching

At my store, the SETLs spend most of their day helping each front of store area. Covering breaks, hopping in drive-ups, jumping on lanes, backing up the desk.

Last week, I got ripped in front of the checklanes by the SD for not being out in front more. The line had backed up while I was away doing some small important thing and it was a bad look for me and my ETL. It was explained at length to me that SETLs need to be out front with the guests any time the store is busy.

This actually changes my job a lot. My "base of operations" is typically the service desk, since it's near the drive-up staging and the rather busy service desk. I check on the lanes frequently, but instead of calling for backup, I just jump on because I'm fast and it gets the line down, and importantly it reduces the calls for backup a LOT. This is how my SETL partner is, too. Now, by changing my base of operations to the front of the checklanes and not jumping on when it's busy, I'm going to have to call for backups more often. The big plus is that I can line-bust while doing this, but I'm also less able to always have my team's back.

Have any of you had to make similar adjustments? I can feel myself grinding my own teeth down to dust while drive up and the desk are being overrun, and people's breaks get delayed more than usual. There are a lot of positives to having an SETL more engaged with guests and the checklanes, but there are also a lot of downsides, particularly when payroll is tight and I have nobody to cover.

When both SETLs are there, this is not a problem because as a team we can cover everything pretty well. I'm talking about times when I'm alone.

If your metrics are low, your SD is going to notice every move you make. With hours being low, you are going to have to navigate tasks and schedule your day to the minute. Try cross training your tms to do other tasks and ask your peers for help with the things you can't. Bring issues up to your ETL don't let them find them for you.

going to ask a few questions that if you can answer them will hopefully let me help you more

1. why do you have a “base of operations”? you should be mobile, not returning to one spot with any regularity

2. how many of your team members are trained and elevated to such an extent that they can back up at guest services, run a break schedule for the front, call for backup themselves, get change, etc

3. what’s your aversion to calling for backup? i understand the idea that you’re “fast” and getting on a lane yourself gets the line down but you also recognized that it makes you less available for your team (which means you are less available for your guests), so why are you still doing it? you should only be on a lane if another lead/etl/sd is watching the front

these are just a couple questions i have. i would use this opportunity (if i were you) to take a step back and take a high level look at how my workcenter operates and why i do the things i do and if they’re really the best way of doing things for everyone involved

This is why I'm looking elsewhere to put my talents to better use. The "just stand there and watch the lanes/point people in the right direction, oh and maybe once in a while step off the floor to do a coaching" just goes against my work ethic. I don't like to stand idle. The way I'm interpreting the role of SETL is as a glorified traffic cop. If I'd wanted to do that I'd apply to my local PD, at least I could eventually promote to patrol officer and do something more productive and fulfilling (and interesting) with my time. Not sure if I'd want to promote to ETL, if my talents are not being utilized in the TL role, what's to say they'd be utilized at the ETL role or higher? Between the lack of payroll to even cover the basics, the call-outs on top of the lack of payroll, and the general boring-ness of being an SETL, I am out at my first opportunity. I want to actually manage a team and do something. This is the first position where I could say that I'm bored (basically standing there doing nothing, per DSD orders -- DSD wants my peers and I to have zero involvement in anything like helping with drive-up or returns during peak times, just stand there and watch, and call for the backup that will never arrive because payroll isn't any better elsewhere in the store -- maybe ring up a couple of guests on the MyCheckouts that never seem to work) and stressed (no payroll, no coverage, constantly trying to make do with one or two TMs on the front end vs. 50 guests in line/keep our numbers up) at the same time.

Last edited:
At my store, the SETLs spend most of their day helping each front of store area. Covering breaks, hopping in drive-ups, jumping on lanes, backing up the desk.

Last week, I got ripped in front of the checklanes by the SD for not being out in front more. The line had backed up while I was away doing some small important thing and it was a bad look for me and my ETL. It was explained at length to me that SETLs need to be out front with the guests any time the store is busy.

This actually changes my job a lot. My "base of operations" is typically the service desk, since it's near the drive-up staging and the rather busy service desk. I check on the lanes frequently, but instead of calling for backup, I just jump on because I'm fast and it gets the line down, and importantly it reduces the calls for backup a LOT. This is how my SETL partner is, too. Now, by changing my base of operations to the front of the checklanes and not jumping on when it's busy, I'm going to have to call for backups more often. The big plus is that I can line-bust while doing this, but I'm also less able to always have my team's back.

Have any of you had to make similar adjustments? I can feel myself grinding my own teeth down to dust while drive up and the desk are being overrun, and people's breaks get delayed more than usual. There are a lot of positives to having an SETL more engaged with guests and the checklanes, but there are also a lot of downsides, particularly when payroll is tight and I have nobody to cover.

When both SETLs are there, this is not a problem because as a team we can cover everything pretty well. I'm talking about times when I'm alone.
Jumping in and helping occasionally isnt and probably womt be an issue. However it seems like you and your coleaders are relying on yourselves quit a bit. Sd is probably just trying get you guys back on track simce rn is all about back to routines. It is definitely a challenge with payroll rn so i dont blame you. I too as a fulfillment leader have to help quite a bit in my area particularly if there are some call outs.

Met with my SD yesterday and he said the other SETL and I are doing too much. We need to manage the front. Observe/coach/recognize. If we have to help,we can take over SCO and send that TM over to hop on a register.
Honestly, out team is not where it should be. Training is a huge opportunity for us. We are to set clear expectations and if they aren’t met it’s a PDD. Some of our TMs just need to go. I’m not happy that we kept some very bad seasonal TMs. Now I’ll have to performance them out.
My SD doesn’t want us just standing still. We’re supposed to be speed weaving to make sure our guests are getting a great experience everywhere. I’m at a Super so it’s a big area to cover. It starts with our cart wipers, SCOs, checklanes, guest service and bathrooms. Is everyone performing as expected? If so, recognize them. If not, coach them. All this while sending people to breaks. Oh yes, don’t forget to keep an eye on your metrics. No offense, but I can’t imagine being bored.
Good luck! It may be that the FOS isn’t the right area for you.

I think the SD was most upset that you admittedly were not even IN your work center. How can you LEAD if you are not even there !

Actually, Many years ago that was me too. I thought I was doing good by ‘keeping busy’ even if that meant - going to the backroom for bags, going to seasonal for candy to fill the endcaps, going to the dept. to verify a sale sign...any of the things that made me walk away from the front.
I finally learned my lesson after my second write-up for not being IN my work center.
I was angry at the the time because I thought I was working hard and got written up for it.
In reality, I got written up for NOT doing MY job. I should have sent a cashier for the candy and the cart attendant for the bags - MY job was to BE at the front !
And this was PRE-MODERNIZATION! Modernization expanded on this and insisted that ALL team leads : ‘LEAD, NOT Task’.

You MUST do as you SD asks - STAY in the front - LEAD DON’T ‘DO’.
You are NOT leading the team AND you are UNAVAILABLE if you become a TM and ring/run drive-ups.
Ever notice as soon as you jump on a register - one cashier uses the restroom and another goes on break?
You are too busy to lead them and they know it. You are doing their job for them.

You should NOT be bored either ! You should be doing MORE than directing traffic - be SEEN by guests, answer questions, engage, assist cashiers (we would remove hangers & put bags in carts to keep the lines moving), get change, get break coverage/call back-ups, monitor the cashiers and when back-ups can go, direct cart attendant to collect baskets/get bags/fill endcaps........ You CAN stay BUSY AND STAY in the front without becoming a cashier and becoming unavailable.
Be a LEADER, not a super-busy tm. Help the tm’s without becoming one and doing the job FOR them.

Find ways to HELP without tying yourself down at the registers OR at the desk and certainly NEVER outside or elsewhere in the store.

I wish our SD would explain this to the SETL at my store. They both are Either : 1) NOT in the front or 2)standing still directing traffic and doing nothing else.
Have to tell you - both things make all the other TL’s angry .

going to ask a few questions that if you can answer them will hopefully let me help you more

1. why do you have a “base of operations”? you should be mobile, not returning to one spot with any regularity

2. how many of your team members are trained and elevated to such an extent that they can back up at guest services, run a break schedule for the front, call for backup themselves, get change, etc

3. what’s your aversion to calling for backup? i understand the idea that you’re “fast” and getting on a lane yourself gets the line down but you also recognized that it makes you less available for your team (which means you are less available for your guests), so why are you still doing it? you should only be on a lane if another lead/etl/sd is watching the front

these are just a couple questions i have. i would use this opportunity (if i were you) to take a step back and take a high level look at how my workcenter operates and why i do the things i do and if they’re really the best way of doing things for everyone involved
1. Basically, I find myself going to the service desk because there is always something productive to do there. So I leave the desk to help the lanes, rather than leaving the lanes to help the desk, if that makes sense.

2. Not enough! Point taken. Some days we have a solidly trained crew and some days we have the cashiers who are challenging to train.

3. It's a never-ending struggle to get backups to respond. Very often, an ETL has to repeat my call for backup. I hear a lot of griping about it, and when I notice that I could hop in and clear the line without pulling anybody off their area, I want to do it because I know that I will respond quickly! The SD is okay with me backing up the lanes during little off-hour rushes only, or with guests who need extra attention, and never during peak times.

Your questions were really good and prompted some reflection, so thanks. I am trying to figure out how my role interacts with the business and it's surprisingly complex and challenging right now.

Calling for backup can be tricky right now with hours being cut everywhere. Because of social distancing it can look like we need a backup when we really don’t. Don’t just call, walk and see if you really need the support. Get the TMs that do respond back to their work center ASAP. I block off their lane, announce they are on their way back and thank them.

I really like the mindset of “be a leader, not a team member.” I’m going to remember that. Thank you.

This is why I'm looking elsewhere to put my talents to better use. The "just stand there and watch the lanes/point people in the right direction, oh and maybe once in a while step off the floor to do a coaching" just goes against my work ethic. I don't like to stand idle. The way I'm interpreting the role of SETL is as a glorified traffic cop. If I'd wanted to do that I'd apply to my local PD, at least I could eventually promote to patrol officer and do something more productive and fulfilling (and interesting) with my time. Not sure if I'd want to promote to ETL, if my talents are not being utilized in the TL role, what's to say they'd be utilized at the ETL role or higher? Between the lack of payroll to even cover the basics, the call-outs on top of the lack of payroll, and the general boring-ness of being an SETL, I am out at my first opportunity. I want to actually manage a team and do something. This is the first position where I could say that I'm bored (basically standing there doing nothing, per DSD orders -- DSD wants my peers and I to have zero involvement in anything like helping with drive-up or returns during peak times, just stand there and watch, and call for the backup that will never arrive because payroll isn't any better elsewhere in the store -- maybe ring up a couple of guests on the MyCheckouts that never seem to work) and stressed (no payroll, no coverage, constantly trying to make do with one or two TMs on the front end vs. 50 guests in line/keep our numbers up) at the same time.
Believe me, there is a side of me that sees this stuff and says PREACH!!

I think it's because as I was working up to leadership, I was the guy up front who was running around doing everything I could to help out, and I have that same ethical urge to work hard and put out fires all the time. That is what my idea of a leader and the front end was.

But yeah, Target and my SD define my role, and gotta do what the boss says. It doesn't help that my senior SETL partner is the same as me (but way more efficient), so I don't have an example to follow.

Met with my SD yesterday and he said the other SETL and I are doing too much. We need to manage the front. Observe/coach/recognize. If we have to help,we can take over SCO and send that TM over to hop on a register.
Honestly, out team is not where it should be. Training is a huge opportunity for us. We are to set clear expectations and if they aren’t met it’s a PDD. Some of our TMs just need to go. I’m not happy that we kept some very bad seasonal TMs. Now I’ll have to performance them out.
My SD doesn’t want us just standing still. We’re supposed to be speed weaving to make sure our guests are getting a great experience everywhere. I’m at a Super so it’s a big area to cover. It starts with our cart wipers, SCOs, checklanes, guest service and bathrooms. Is everyone performing as expected? If so, recognize them. If not, coach them. All this while sending people to breaks. Oh yes, don’t forget to keep an eye on your metrics. No offense, but I can’t imagine being bored.
Good luck! It may be that the FOS isn’t the right area for you.
I also don't get the boredom part, since I can always find something to do near the lanes, and we're not even a Super.

I like the emphasis on more coaching/recognition. That was one part of my pitch for the job, that we weren't interacting enough.

What is speed weaving?
I assume directing guests to faster lanes to improve their experience. If you don't direct them, they will line up illogically because they can't see the all the lanes and pick the best one. I haven't heard the terminology at my store, but I do this a lot.

I'm surprised by just how much guests love this. The comments we get are really good. And I love it, because I can humanize my advocates by saying stuff like: "If you'd like to come to lane 5, Johnny will take care of you." This kind of treatment is not what people expect from a department store, and it feels good to go above their expectations.

I think the SD was most upset that you admittedly were not even IN your work center. How can you LEAD if you are not even there !

Actually, Many years ago that was me too. I thought I was doing good by ‘keeping busy’ even if that meant - going to the backroom for bags, going to seasonal for candy to fill the endcaps, going to the dept. to verify a sale sign...any of the things that made me walk away from the front.
I finally learned my lesson after my second write-up for not being IN my work center.
I was angry at the the time because I thought I was working hard and got written up for it.
In reality, I got written up for NOT doing MY job. I should have sent a cashier for the candy and the cart attendant for the bags - MY job was to BE at the front !
And this was PRE-MODERNIZATION! Modernization expanded on this and insisted that ALL team leads : ‘LEAD, NOT Task’.

You MUST do as you SD asks - STAY in the front - LEAD DON’T ‘DO’.
You are NOT leading the team AND you are UNAVAILABLE if you become a TM and ring/run drive-ups.
Ever notice as soon as you jump on a register - one cashier uses the restroom and another goes on break?
You are too busy to lead them and they know it. You are doing their job for them.

You should NOT be bored either ! You should be doing MORE than directing traffic - be SEEN by guests, answer questions, engage, assist cashiers (we would remove hangers & put bags in carts to keep the lines moving), get change, get break coverage/call back-ups, monitor the cashiers and when back-ups can go, direct cart attendant to collect baskets/get bags/fill endcaps........ You CAN stay BUSY AND STAY in the front without becoming a cashier and becoming unavailable.
Be a LEADER, not a super-busy tm. Help the tm’s without becoming one and doing the job FOR them.

Find ways to HELP without tying yourself down at the registers OR at the desk and certainly NEVER outside or elsewhere in the store.

I wish our SD would explain this to the SETL at my store. They both are Either : 1) NOT in the front or 2)standing still directing traffic and doing nothing else.
Have to tell you - both things make all the other TL’s angry .
This is great stuff, thank you.

Right up front I'm going to say I haven't done your job, so take my advice for what it is worth.
However, I have managed brigades in major kitchens.

If you have ever watched Hell's Kitchen you've seen Gordon Ramsey running the pass.
He gets the orders from the wait staff, calls them back to the chefs and they run them to the window.
Gordon makes sure each plate is perfect and fills each order.
He is also making sure nothing dies in the window, the staff better be picking things up ASAP.
Gordon goes back to yell at the brigade when something is wrong, but in real life the chef working the pass doesn't move.

They do their yelling from the pass and at least once, kicking a full 40 gallon trash can full of meat scraps and crab shells, clear across the kitchen (don't judge me).
You don't go back and work the grill yourself, however you do make sure they have what they need to do their job.
If that means yelling at a dishwasher to go get more strips steaks and crab out of the walk-in that's what you do.
You solve every problem fast or you get in the weeds.

You have a picture in your head of where every chef is and what they are doing.
Are they in the bathroom, how long have they been in there?
Are you missing a waitress too? You told them the last time they did that you were going to fire their asses.
Is everyone pissed off because the sous chef isn't pulling their weight because he hungover for the fifth day in a row and they all have work twice as hard?
Did your dessert chef come to work with black eye because their drug dealer boyfriend decided to rough them up?
Know your people and back them up any way you can,
Though, you probably shouldn't get together a crew to go over to the dessert chefs apartment and strip everything out of it including the drug dealer clothes when he wasn't home. (don't judge me).

If you are good at it, you can fix your mistakes so fast and smoothly no one realizes you've made any or they think you did it on purpose.

Last edited:
Back