Archived SFT and leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as I mentioned in a few other threads, our (extra) GSTL has been promoted to SFT. Our front end scores the past couple of weeks have been sinking like a body in the Jersey River. We've gone from being in the top three every week to being in the bottom 10 in our group. It's that bad. It's likely generally because of the lack of support of our front end. None of the GSAs are surprised, emails are flying...it would almost be amusing if it weren't so damn depressing.

Anyway, as my GSTL and I were having our last score status together yesterday (we don't work at all together next week which just depresses the hell out of me), I made a comment, "aren't you glad in a week and a half this won't be your problem anymore?"

He told me that it was still his problem (in of the fact that we'll still be people he cares about...not like we're a new store to him) but also as a leader in the building, he's still responsible for speaking to scores, how his work impacts them, blah, blah, blah.

So, I'm trying to get my head around this. He will be the fourth SFT in my building since I've been there. The first one was fired for being fairly useless...and though I was new, would have never thought of him as a leader. The second one did a great job with maintenance and that and eventually left for greener pastures, but again, I never saw him as anything but a work horse who occasionally went to LOD meetings. The third one, another one of our TLs who promoted to the job but only lasted a couple of months because he hated it, I never saw as a "leader in the building..."

So I'm confused....are they leaders in the building? How does that really play out/work? As a TM, I've never seen any of them as more than maintenance people.

Just going by my store and out of date experience but my SFT was responsible for making sure the cleaning crew got everything done which was a bit like herding unicorns, he actually had all the responsibility of a TL even though he doesn't have a team.
My STL was old school and it made him frustrated that he would have to be filling out useless paperwork when he could be painting something.

I made a comment about sft a moment ago. I don't follow the rules exactly but I get recognized by my fmbp and higher ups. I lead the team in the FM process, partner with stl and etls on what I expect and how first impressions should be. Hold team leads accountable to brand in the area. Sft is ever changing a role that the person enrolled in either can be selfish or be a positive role model for the store. Going the extra inch is great, but I also have a great routine where I finish my work fashionable early lol.

Team Leader - Cleaning Crew. I dunno. Our SFT is a great guy, I'd do anything he asked me to, and our store would literally fall down around our ears if it wasn't for him (particularly up front. Broken doors, dirty store, smelly carpet spills, graffiti in the bathrooms, broken register equipment and so on). I can see how he can be seen as responsible for scores related to store cleanliness and appearance and condition and such, since well...outside of the hour to hour upkeep and some of the register cleaning and such, he and his team do the heavy lifting in that regard. I'd laugh out loud if he started talking about conversion scores or guest surveys as they related to cashier experience or something though.

It's a specialized position. Maybe TL pay but no authority other than deciding which work orders are more important than others. Great job to have if you are handy. Used to report to a BP but some org charts have them report to ETL Logistics. Once my STF came under my control I fired him. He was lazy and kept his work area a mess. Very important position

I'm shocked you we're able to fire him like that. Or do you mean after couching him? Did you have the fmbp support ? Yes questions ;).

My favorite thing is I'm new to sft but my fmbp loves me so does my store. My fmbp allows me to travel to other stores on a weekly basis.

I'm shocked you we're able to fire him like that. Or do you mean after couching him? Did you have the fmbp support ? Yes questions ;).

My favorite thing is I'm new to sft but my fmbp loves me so does my store. My fmbp allows me to travel to other stores on a weekly basis.

It was a lengthy coaching process, 5 months, involving several opportunities for improvement. Didn't need fmbp support because we dissolved that position this AE and I assumed the responsibility of FMBP, no pay raise of course. We also dissolved several other district/group level positions like food BP, and APBP.

Ah my region still has the fmbp, so I apologize. In my sad 5 years at target I've never been coached to my knowledge. Well my logistic is my direct supervisor but it's more or less a point of contact. I can understand why it wouldn't be a pay raise. But maybe you have different roles then mine does.

I had a similar role as your log, then I was given entire FM responsibility of our store. So I oversaw all maintenance, cleaning, etc. Just another hat to wear. But I argue that a FMBP is still needed in our district.

That's strange , in my district the sft is treated like a senior team lead. At least that's what we are expected to act. High communication skills, collaborating with the team. Pushing the FM and guiding team members with the walk the vibe. The only time my logistic even will ask me to do work is if he needs help on something I shouldn't be doing. But lick lick....lol. The only time my fmbp will even contact me is to go to another store or to go to lunch. I love me some free lunch....or last thing to show me off -.-...mine wants me to move to etl...but I'm content lol.

I know a regional FM partner in the NE united states - she is a former STL and means business. She keeps on top of her region's SFTs like white on rice.

I know a regional FM partner in the NE united states - she is a former STL and means business. She keeps on top of her region's SFTs like white on rice.
They got rid of the FMBPs in our group and their oversight of multiple stores moved to their boss.

That's strange , in my district the sft is treated like a senior team lead. At least that's what we are expected to act. High communication skills, collaborating with the team. Pushing the FM and guiding team members with the walk the vibe. The only time my logistic even will ask me to do work is if he needs help on something I shouldn't be doing. But lick lick....lol. The only time my fmbp will even contact me is to go to another store or to go to lunch. I love me some free lunch....or last thing to show me off -.-...mine wants me to move to etl...but I'm content lol.
Our SFT isn't given the same expectations, or pay, as a Sr.TL. How would the move be from SFT to ETL? I don't see how a facilities guy would have the same experience/qualifications as a Sr.TL? Unless you have a degree. Are you given LOD duties? Do you work the sales floor? How much sales experience is an STF exposed to? I'm not saying it can't happen I'm just asking. Our STFs do work orders, that is it. No leadership tasks, nothing to do with daily Target tasks, just paint walls, change light bulbs, etc.

It's pretty clear that different districts, groups, and regions have varying expectations for SFT.

My store/district: There are some SFT lifers. They were hired on as handymen who dealt with cleaning and maintenance/repair vendors. New hire SFTs are expected to be a leader in the store as far as FM, and they are to be somewhat visible in the district (working at other stores, championing FM rollouts, etc). New hires are more expected to be leaders who can do some basic handyman stuff.

I could see an STF move directly to FMBP and higher. I wouldn't convert to ETL if you didn't have to. STF has a nice schedule and steady hours.

My old STF wouldn't help anyone unless it benefited him. Before I became his direct boss I told him if he didn't shape up he wouldn't be here for much of 2014. He didn't think I was serious and he always brushed things off that I said because honestly his only boss at the time was the FMBP. Day 1 I made him clean his backroom area, didn't listen for 1 month. He was gone by May.

I come from being a senior, they were trying to move me up in that position as well and yes I have my degree. But as I said in my previous post I tend to be more of a team player. But so is my team, my team will support me and make sure the store is spotless. My fmbp gives me extra hours once in a while to check my store on the weekend. Yes I'm sad sometimes, but my cleanliness and appearance is always very high and it's because of the team not me.

I come from being a senior, they were trying to move me up in that position as well and yes I have my degree. But as I said in my previous post I tend to be more of a team player. But so is my team, my team will support me and make sure the store is spotless. My fmbp gives me extra hours once in a while to check my store on the weekend. Yes I'm sad sometimes, but my cleanliness and appearance is always very high and it's because of the team not me.
If the FMBP position opens up, go for it over ETL. It's a specialized ETL position, can be better paying than normal ETL, and good hours. Plus you get to visit all stores in district. But if you like SFT, that's a good job too. FM is a gem, in my eyes. Not the typical retail job and you can take your experience to other industries

Sft is amazing and trust me I'd love to go for fmbp but it's a position that won't be around much longer in my area, I wish it would be. I could obviously be wrong...my current one has about 2 to 3 years left. Been with target for a large amount of time. ....to be paranoid I give sft 5 more years then wosh gone

That'a why our really good SFT left...he sees the position soon being one that is shared amongst a couple of stores, probably eventually going by the wayside completely, and he didn't want to get caught up in that.

That'a why our really good SFT left...he sees the position soon being one that is shared amongst a couple of stores, probably eventually going by the wayside completely, and he didn't want to get caught up in that.
I don't see the SFT position going away for a while. I could see the FMBP position eventually being eliminated before they eliminate SFTs. With the ETL-LOG now in charge of SFTs within the store the FMBPs act more as a consultant now. In our group they have already began reducing FMBPs. Some FMBPs now have multiple districts. SFTs help save the company money by doing projects themselves instead of hiring an outside company. This year they have started to increase the amount of projects that SFTs have. Eventually SFTs could cover 2 stores, but I don't see this being for a while.

Oh yes fmbp will obviously be gone before sft. Sfts used to cover two stores at least in my district it's honestly to much work to do 2. If they did two they would need to give us salary. I already do 50 to 60 a week.(approved over time from my fmbp) but I dunno sft saves money but the future can't ever be for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back