Archived Shift Differential Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i heard through the grapevine that some changes are coming to shift diff. apparently if a team member comes in at 4am they will no longer get the shift diff for their full shift, but only from 4am-8am. also if a team member works overnight, instead of the shift differential starting at 10 it will now start at 11. i did also hear that the difference in the paycheck will be added to the base pay. so say the shift diff is currently 50 cent and the team member gets an average of 40 hours. then 25 cent will be added to the base pay to make up for the loss in shiff diff. now this only applies to team members that fall in the guidelines, but lets see how this works.....

We went through something similar... it works out nice if you get the change and then just go dayside! I got a dollar raise because all my hours were shift diff before the change, and then after since the shift diff was so low I just went dayside! I'll take my money ard run thanks!

From May, stores are going to eliminate 4am shifts, and change them from 6am. CAF is going to start from 12pm, and research should be done by 12pm, instead of 11am.

From May, stores are going to eliminate 4am shifts, and change them from 6am. CAF is going to start from 12pm, and research should be done by 12pm, instead of 11am.

I can think of quite a few 4am'ers at my store that are going to have a **** fit about this

is that for all volumes at 6 am?
stupid stupid stupid.

if youre not gonna be paying as much shift dif, why push your processes? your truck people are gonna eat payroll. so is pog. because you cant set crap while the store is open. at least not at mine. we have a crowd waiting at 8 every morning, and since there's no salesfloor coverage until around 11, it's very hard during heavy transitions to stay on track between back up (no opening cashiers either--- just a gstl until 10), grabbing carts(not until 1pm), covering the phones (no fr until 11---sometimes they even leave the overhead on). there's only so far you can stretch it, and they're about to hit it. and now theyre stroking because electronics dropped to a 3.4.... REALLy??? YOU DON'T KNOW WHY OUR SURVEY SCORES ARE DROPPING?? IS IT BECAUSE WE ONLY HAD 30 SURVEYS FILLED OUT? SURELY ITS NOT BECAUSE THERES NO ONE IN THE FRICKIN' STORE TO HELP THEM OUT?? GUESTS TEND TO GET PISSED WHEN THEY WASTE 15 MINUTES TRYING TO TRACK SOMEONE DOWN AND THEN WAIT IN LINE 10 MINUTES BECAUSE THERE'S ONLY 1 REGISTER OPEN AT LUNCH TIME.
sorry to get side tracked... im tired of the cost cutting. our shift diff is only 50 cents, but dang it, when you get nickel reviews and gas goes up 1.50, that 50 cents matters!!!!!

I think it is for all stores, but mine is not going to change 4am, but over time it will, but I have my doubts, we are AAA+.

I don't think the "a or b" stores will change to 6am. Most ulv stores should be on 6am flow. Sorry dek & talan!

ummm..........what?

if that is true our POG team would literally shut down. our store is so busy they wouldn't be able to set anything. unless they put them overnight but seems like that would defeat the purpose of eliminating the 4am shift, no?

Are you saying that 4 am trucks will now begin to be unloaded at 6? We can barely begin instocks tasks at 7 because the push isn't completed in a whole area!

We were told earlier this week that shift diff would change to only 10pm-8am and reg pay for the parts of your shift after 8. Then today we all get called into the office to be given our pay change info. They raised base pay to make up for the hours you lose a dollar..... At this point I'm not sure if I'm breaking even, losing money or winning.... But whatever target ... If they had taken our extra pay away all together our team would have gone nuts!!!!!!

No, not all 4am stores are switching to 6am.

Yes, many (possibly all?) areas are restructuring their shift differential.

You will earn shift differential for any hours worked between 10pm and 8am (possibly 11pm for the stores that close at 11pm? I'm not 100% clear on that, but it's definitely 10pm at my 10pm-close store), but only if you work a minimum of 3 hours during that period in a shift. Any hours outside that window will not earn differential, period.

The raise to base pay is based on a formula that looks at all the hours you worked in the past year and calculates how many of those hours DID earn shift differential under the old system but would NOT earn shift differential under the new system. If you worked 4am-12:30pm every day and always took your lunch after 8am (assuming a 30 minute lunch state), that would put exactly half of your hours in the new window and half of them outside of it, so you would receive a base pay increase of exactly half of your local shift differential (here, it's a dollar). Of course, if you weren't working shift-differential shifts all of the time, you'll get less; for instance, I only moved to a 4am workcenter halfway through the period they're looking at, plus I've had to work later shifts on the weekends to make up for gaps in our TL rotation, so I only ended up getting 18 cents. On the other hand, we have a TM who worked 5am-1:30pm almost every day for the past year, which means MORE than half of his hours earned differential before but won't now; he got something like 62 cents.

Important note--hours under the Remodel workcenter are NOT included in the calculation in any way, which sucks for me since I spent 8 weeks working at 4am to help another store through their remodel after running my own. Oh well.

The upside: the base pay increase also applies to paid vacation/leave time if you have/take any; it stays with you if you change workcenters in the future; and it'll make your future merit increases a bit bigger than they would have been before. Short term, if you work the same hours you did last year, you should be just about breaking even. Long term, you should benefit (if only slightly).

Last edited:
Except since this year they seem to be cutting hours for most of us, we lose.
In my case about 15 cents an hour.
Thanks Spot.

30 cent loss for me :(
good thing my raise counter balances the shift diff loss LOL

SO glad I got the hell out when I did.

I just got a $580 monthly *bonus* paid to me for getting all of my refreshes done in half the time allotted. At spot, you would be lucky to get a great team card for that.

Start looking around guys. There *are* companies out there willing to pay good money for hard work.

hmmmm... now if it's a 10pm close store and the sf teams work until 10:30, are they gonna get a differential for that 10:30? or rush everyone out the door at 10? never mind, just caught the work 3 hours in that time period

Last edited:
50 cents added to my base pay :D I'll take it!

.45 on my base pay.

Basically I'm just losing $3 every paycheck. Not really a big deal.

Start looking around guys. There *are* companies out there willing to pay good money for hard work.

When I was with Target last year, I would have never believed you. I thought Target was my only option. I was able to secure a gig within a private security company for way more than Target was paying me, and I do much less work now. I get compensated really well, they ACTUALLY let you have OT, and there are no unrealistic expectations. When I reflect back, yes I did have fun times at Target, but getting out was one of the greatest things I ever did (just like you mentioned).

Our 7:00p.m. - 3:30p.m. recovery/freezer TM still gets $1.00 differential even though she move positions from overnight BR.

Our 7:00p.m. - 3:30p.m. recovery/freezer TM still gets $1.00 differential even though she move positions from overnight BR.

Was that supposed to be 7:00pm - 3:30am, or 7:00am - 3:30pm? If it's pm-am, then yes, she still gets differential.

If it's am-pm, then she definitely isn't getting actual shift differential--that's all automatic, the computer either adds it or doesn't add it, based on the rules, period. She could still be getting an extra dollar, but only if she was asked to switch schedules and negotiated with management to keep her dollar. In that case, it would have been added to her base pay (yes, HR can and does make adjustments to pay outside of promotions/annual reviews, even if they claim they can't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back