Shipt shoppers seem to make pretty good $

I saw the pre-tax take of a Shipt shopper I went to school with. He works about my hours and on average, he clearly makes more than I do as a TL (though tbh so do most people).

Do any of you do it, or know somebody who does? My guy is doing about 4k/mo. pre-tax, though with quite a bit of variance week-to-week.

I saw the pre-tax take of a Shipt shopper I went to school with. He works about my hours and on average, he clearly makes more than I do as a TL (though tbh so do most people).

Do any of you do it, or know somebody who does? My guy is doing about 4k/mo. pre-tax, though with quite a bit of variance week-to-week.
Do they get similar benefits? If you log into pay and benefits site and look at pay, your total compensation with benefits, pay, and discounts can be checked.

They have to take all the wear and tear to their vehicle out of that. They also pay a higher amount in taxes as contractors. They pay a self employment tax of roughly 15% on top of income taxes. There are NO benefits. There's no unemployment or workmans comp.

And I would add the cost of special car insurance for working while driving and GAS!

Last edited:
Yeah factoring in benefits and tax, it's not that much more than TL pay. And with lower certainty/higher risk. But very easy work.

Also factor in the hustle of having to haul-ass through the store to get through orders done as fast as possible so you can get onto the next one, having to deal with your customers when stuff is out of stock, dealing with substitutions, people who stiff you on tips....

I'm not surprised they interview and I would hope they do some kind of background check. I know someone who has had more than one grocery delivery stolen/never arrived (not Shipt), so there's a risk there if they don't at least do basic due diligence on their contractors.

shipt denied me lol. i applied when i still worked in dry grocery, like okay i think i would be qualified judging by the shoppers in my store.

There's a couple TMs at my store who did Shipt in addition to their job at Target, but neither of them did it for more than a few weeks.

From what I've heard it's a lot like working for Uber, in that you might make a fair bit of money, but a lot of it is just going to go into gas and vehicle maintenance. Unless you just really enjoy shopping for people, or you need some extra money, you're most likely better off with a normal job.

Shipt will be like Uber in that the commission rates will start dropping.

When I drove for Uber I tracked how many hours I drove AND how much I made.

The amount I made per hour kept dropping.

We had a TM at our store doing Shipt but I haven't seen her do it months.

Last edited:
Back