Should I go for the Visual Merchandiser role?

I'm a Style TL who's feeling really burnt out by the usual TL duties. I hate coaching, doing interviews, and ESPECIALLY the annual reviews. I've contemplated just leaving the company, but I found out that our VM is leaving and I've expressed an interest in taking up the role. I figured that it would be nice to still get TL pay while having less responsibilties and thankfully, my SD seems to be in favor of it. But the problem comes with what one of my fellow Style TL's think.

She's arguing that I'd be demoted if I were to become VM. She said that I would no longer have a TL next to my name on the grid and other TM's wouldn't view me as a real TL. My SD has already told me that I'd still be expected to act as a TL and I honestly don't see why this Style TL is making a big fuss over it. That being said, I'd be lying if I said that the thought hasn't caused some concern in my head. What do you think? Is it normal for a TL to swtich to VM? Is that actually considered a demotion for Spot?

It's not so much her opinion, but it's more so me just wanting to move up in the world and not risk doing anything that would be seen as a step backwards. Nobody wants to be demoted.
You are not demoting. This is considered a lateral move. You ARE still a leader. VML stands for Visual Merchandise Leader:
If you enjoy a sense of accomplishment, go for it.
If you like to plan your work, and actually execute your plans, go for it.
If you are self motivated and take pride in your work, go for it.

When you accept VML position, read your roles and responsibilities. Focus on those responsibilities, the store will want a million things from you, just know what VM wants from you.
Good Luck.

Back