Archived Should I go to HR

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetargetman

I am a Guest once again!
Ok well today I was talking to our New ETL-LOG and he mentioned to me that he will be LOD on most Tuesdays and so I said "oh cool... looks like you will be letting me in cash office most Tuesdays" well he than said "oh so do you take bills..?" and he started rubbing the top of his head almost as if he was implying I steal money by tucking them under my Yarmulke. I don't want to accuse the guy of anything if he really just thought he was being funny but didn't think it could be taken as anti-Semitic. Maybe I am just over-reacting? Do you guys think I should go to HR?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Yes, talk to HR. Technically it is harassment. If you allow him to get away with it, he could very well do it over and over. And, who knows? He could be an anti-semite. I don't find that funny, especially coming from an LOD. If he retaliates for you reporting it, call the hotline.

I hate situations like this, sometimes people make a joke that in retrospect they would realize was not only not funny but was down right insulting.
Other times they were perfectly aware of the jokes context and wanted it to be out there.
But you have no idea which it is.

Really the only way to know is call them on it at the time and barring that wait to see if they do it again.
At his point you're stuck with option two.
If you see him doing another antisemitic joke or for that matter sexist, racist, or homophobic, since they tend to come as a package, then you would be in a better position to report it.
One joke doesn't give you all that much to stand on.
A pattern of behavior does.

I've never been an ETL, but to me it sounds like something you could bring up with your HRBP?

EDIT: SORRY, ignore this. I have no idea what I was trying to respond to when I posted but I don't think it was this thread. lol

Last edited:
Honestly...I'd let it go. Make a note of the date and time, if another situation happens. I think he was just trying to be funny and it was in poor taste. I've made bad jokes and immediately feel like an idiot afterwards. You don't apologize because you feel like a moron and hope they didn't put much thought in to it.

If it will make you feel better, talk to him. Pull him aside and explain how it made you feel. I'm sure he didn't mean to come off as a jerk.

I'm thinking this through as a woman...what would I do if someone made a sexist joke to me? Honestly, I don't know...I think Commie has the best advice at this point.

The problem is, I don't have enough faith in the higher ups...knowing they are all in bed together (figuratively or literally depending on the store) makes me unsure if anything would happen beyond the complainer being labeled as a troublemaker. But this also comes from working at another company when my bosses were making sexist jokes...and I thought HR was on my side, but in the end, she was more interested in making the complaints go away than she was taking care of the issue...and I got stuck dealing with a boss who thought I was uptight and couldn't be trusted after that.

Why do people have to be so stupid?

I'd wait to see if there was a second occurrence. Then approach hr or tell them face to face it's not ok with you.

I have a flow tm who says things to forks about being very pretty that day, etc all the time. He's an old married man, but it's creepy. I normally just tell him that's not ok and to keep it brand and about business.

I'd wait to see if there was a second occurrence. Then approach hr or tell them face to face it's not ok with you.

I have a flow tm who says things to forks about being very pretty that day, etc all the time. He's an old married man, but it's creepy. I normally just tell him that's not ok and to keep it brand and about business.
Forks? As in utensils? Who does that?

Thanks everyone! I am going to wait to see what happens if he continues this behavior I will very politely say that I find it offensive and would like him to please stop, if he ignores my requests and continues then I will be going to HR.

@thetargetman - this is really your call. If it made you uncomfortable or offended then I would mention it to him first then say you would like to discuss this with HR. Or give him a second chance. Some people honestly don't know when they're being offensive, even when they thought it was a joke. That sort of joke is unprofessional unless you're friends with the person and joke privately - but still unprofessional at the workplace.

@thetargetman - this is really your call. If it made you uncomfortable or offended then I would mention it to him first then say you would like to discuss this with HR. Or give him a second chance. Some people honestly don't know when they're being offensive, even when they thought it was a joke. That sort of joke is unprofessional unless you're friends with the person and joke privately - but still unprofessional at the workplace.
yea I honestly don't really want to get someone in trouble for something they didn't realize was bothering someone. plus it makes me feel like a tattle-tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back