Archived Simple Advice for New ETLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

StackerMistress

What's a team lift?
Introduce yourself to every team member you come across as soon as you can, and not just those who you are in charge of. First impressions matter so much, and taking a moment to just say hi, I'm so and so, I'll be in charge of whatever department, makes a big difference.

Are you an etl or tm? Any other device? I finish training next week and will be sent to a new store and i have no retail management experience. I want to be impressive not just a 'good' etl.

Are you an etl or tm? Any other device? I finish training next week and will be sent to a new store and i have no retail management experience. I want to be impressive not just a 'good' etl.
"impressive"?
What you want is respect and to get that you need to work. Physically work. Listen to your team too. Weed out the crappy workers i.e. Hold people accountable. If you don't know the answer, find out. Follow through. Work alongside your team.
There's a few thoughts :)

@Produce Queen makes a lot of really good points so I'll only add this:

Try not to alienate your team members. As simple as it sounds, there's a staggering number of ETLs that view 'relating well with others' as being one of their best areas for improvement. Letting others see you as someone they can confide in and approach will take you miles in terms of respect. And definitely don't hold aires.. You may have went to school and make more than TMs but you'll be nowhere without a team.

@LogisticsFox

That reminds me of a story my dad told me once. In another country, there was a feared police head. He was praised because he had control of the entire city. He boost about the zero crime policy he was able to successfully implement. The higher ups noticed him, and transferred him to the Capital. In less than 6 months, he asked to be transferred back. Why? He learned HUMILITY. He learned that he wasn't successful because of HIMSELF. He was successful because he somehow was able to earn the respect of his team, for reasons that may even be just an external factor.

Sometimes performance aren't easily REPLICATED. It's a chaotic system, and sometimes you gotta try a new approach. If you only knew one, you are going to struggle.

I made this topic because we got a new ETL. She walked past me numerous times while she was shadowing the STL, but never acknowledged my existence. However, she had no problem calling back on the walkie when she needed an item pulled. I don't even know this woman's name; she made a bad first impression.

When you call the backroom, look at the fucking grid. I know you have one! Don't say "backroom team member come in".

Sr TL at my store is the biggest asshole, but he's most TM's favorite leader. He's not really an asshole anymore though.

I made this topic because we got a new ETL. She walked past me numerous times while she was shadowing the STL, but never acknowledged my existence. However, she had no problem calling back on the walkie when she needed an item pulled. I don't even know this woman's name; she made a bad first impression.

Yes, my ETL (GE) can barely say hello. ETL-HR says hello, and uses my name! And asks how I am. I could care less if my ETL gets a bonus or keeps her metrics green. Any correlation? ?

11701148_985587954805816_8665341727859609073_n.jpg

Don't assume that because your subordinates are friendly towards you that they are your friends. I have a brand new ETL who behaves too informally around me- like, discussing parts of your life that you would normally share with your girlfriends. It makes me a little uncomfortable, but I just let it slide because she's young and doesn't know better. I also let it slide because she gossips to me about the rest of the leadership. :p It's not my job to tell her how to do hers so she'll have to learn the hard way eventually, but I will tell you- be careful what you say around whom. People put their best foot forward when interacting with their bosses and someone who seems really friendly and open might not necessarily be trustworthy. In my case my boss is lucky because I won't repeat her gossip or pass on the personal details she tells me. But if I were immature or a game player I could ruin her reputation at the store.

And take down your LinkedIn. There's no reason to have that if you're supposed to be loyal to a company.

The less the etls know about u the better. You'll be the last person they think about checking up on which is great as a brtm.

Nothing better than sitting on the can waiting for a flew to drop

You will find more times than not...as an etl ...you will learn more from Tms ( about the day to day in and outs of retail) than your peers and or stl. Don't be afraid to ask a tm questions...you will learn a lot and they will realize that you have respect for them

Some call it networking. I call it putting yourself out there. Both can be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back