Archived Simple yet complicated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tired Grunt

Just a Grunt
First thing first! I'd like to introduce myself.. I'm new to the forums and just passed my 90 day mark at spot. I'm just an average joe, and happy to have found this place.. went through lots of information and interesting stories.

My primary inquiry involves internal promotions. My store is relatively new, opened about 18 months ago, but has gone through several management changes already. As of now, the store does not have a STL or even a Sr. TL, and so there's no word on when replacements will come in. I came into spot to just test the waters, to see if I would enjoy retail and it turns out I do, and so I'd like to move up the ranks, preferably to an ETL position at the very least. However, without proper management at the store, there's no proper channels I can proceed through and so I'm here to see if anyone has any insights as to how i can approach the situation. Shall I keep waiting and hope they find replacements soon? Apply to an open ETL positions at another store while still being a TM at my current store, or just resign my position and reapply fresh as an ETL?

As far as a little background.. I have no direct experience in retail. I have a few years of supervisory experience as well as in customer service. I have an associates in Business Administration and a BA in Economics.

Thanks in advance for any insights provided!

To my knowledge, they will not promote a TM to ETL within the same store. If you think about it, it makes sense. Co-workers who see you as a TM may have some difficulty accepting your promotion to ETL and treating you with the necessary respect. So, just like Hardlinesmaster said, check on EHR for open positions but I recommend applying to other stores openings. Good luck and welcome to the breakroom. :)

Of the ETLs in your building, who do you have the most rapport with? He or she may be able to at least introduce you to the DTL on the next visit and put in a good word for you.

In the absence of an STL, your ETL-HR is typically your next best resource for pursuing internal promotions (though this can vary depending on their level of competency).

You can also try going through eHR, but in my experience you really need to put in some face time with people first when going the internal route.

Regardless of which direction you go, RightArm is correct; you cannot promote to ETL within your current store. Just too many potential conflicts of interest that Target would like to avoid there.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the insight, I understand the complications of being an ETL at the current store. I don't mind going to another store to obtain the position, its just because there's no senior management around at my current store, I'm trying to figure out all the routes I can take if I want to advance towards an ETL position. I don't want to waste too much time waiting around for new management to step in, and I'm unfamiliar with how successful applying outside to another store would be considering I'm still a TM at my current store.

My ETL-HR has gone on leave for personal reasons, her return is still pending, while the ETL that hired me had resigned shortly after I started. Not many outlets for me to go through at this point as it seems options are extremely limited.

Tms can be promoted to etls. We had this happen at my store. The person was promoted then after being sent out for training was a "floater". He stayed at one store about 6 months then came back to our store...where he has been since then.

They had asked if I was sure I wanted to apply as a TM at the initial interview and not another position, and at the time without prior retail experience, I told them I wanted to get the feel for the job before I would pursue anything further. I approached management about advancing about 45 days in, and they told me to wait until the 90 day period was over. However, now that my 90 days is up, almost all the original upper management whom I have spoken to prior, are no longer with the store.

That's going to be tough then, as everybody who was involved in your development is gone. Your best is to find an ETL mentor, somebody who is invested in your development. It always looks good on THEIR review if they can say "Developed so and so from TM to Sr.TL".

Applying internally would be tough. Typically an internal is interviewed more harshly than an external as internals are expected to be developed and groomed for the position.

Yea, really debating if I should quit, and reapply after some time, directly into an ETL position. The wait seems endless and very much pointless at this current store. Guess I'll see if I can find someone in the current management that cares enough and see if they can point me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back