Archived Siren's Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still find myself learning new things about being a Starbucks TL after a year, but felt very troubled when I got a new DM claiming that I needed to remove the syrup bottles from our shelf area above the cold bar. He claimed it looked like alcohol bottles. I spoke with a couple individuals in my store and decided to look more into it.

Friday, my new DM made a surprise visit and asked when the bottles would be moved. I told him I was looking into Target/Starbucks best practice and wanted to find the documentation to back up am overhaul of my storage. "Would being written up for non-compliance be documentation enough?" I only see a small section in the non-compliance form that might apply, but it seems like a stretch.

My STL has advised me to not be so worried (as non-compliance wasn't mentioned to him) and offered, hopefully, a good middle ground, but has anyone heard or had trouble with this at other locations?

Unless there is a 'valid' reason (more than just merely 'looking like alcohol bottles'), I can't see how that could be justification for something as extreme as a write-up. Sounds like your DM is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. If your area is as crowded as ours, I'd solicit suggestions as to *where* it could be situated for most effective use.
I'd def mention the non-compliance threat to your STL, tho.

when I got a new DM claiming that I needed to remove the syrup bottles from our shelf area above the cold bar. He claimed it looked like alcohol bottles.

A good moment to challenge upward, if they suggested to move them, ask where they would recommend. If they didn't have any suggestions, make a suggestion for yourself and gather their input on it.

I did ask him where I should put it for better production because walking to our back area would be counter productive. "Those shelves are only for retail." "We have and do sell syrups. They are retail." Basically, he's a coffee guy and wants the roast story up there. He thought I would stop challenging this new direction by stating that this is what Target wants, but I can't find a single thing about it. I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

He thought I would stop challenging this new direction by stating that this is what Target wants, but I can't find a single thing about it. I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

"This is what Target wants" is just a roundabout way of saying "This is what I want". Our DTL has told us to use that phrase when relaying expectations to TMs.

I know that my store upon opening, it was advised to not have any "Beverage Ingredients" stored in Wall Bays & Floor stands. Luckily I have two storage rooms so this wasn't an issue, but I didn't know about it 'maybe' looking like alcohol.

We have syrup bottles by the espresso machine and the ice bin and although a few guests have commented that the bottles look like alcohol bottles, no DM has ever said that nor have we been asked to move the bottles. Sounds to me like the DM is nitpicking.

you have to remember, anyone over the rank of Store Manager typically has no contact with the reality of retail. they think they know what is going on, they recieve reports telling them what to think, and our job is to smile and nod when they hand out their sage advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back