Archived Slight injury at work today + probably won't be going in tomorrow, should I call out today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you all know I am flow. Well most of you, and I'm still on my 90 days probation period. I've only called out once around when I first started (July) because of food poisoning. Today while working the line I mildly injured my arm while pulling boxes off the line, I think I either bruised the bone in my elbow, but the pain is radiating to my wrist which I feel like I sprained or something because it got smashed between two boxes. It hurt at first, but I kept working on the line for 20 or so more minutes until I couldn't take the pain anymore. I went and put ice on it and let my TL know, he was pretty kind about it. He was going to have me fill out an incident report, and some other injury form, but it just never happened because we were so busy. So i wrapped up my arm, and he gave me ibuprofen, which slightly helped the pain, but it was damn near impossible to use my left arm to to push/pull stock shelves. I was in so much pain by the end as the ibuprofen was wearing off and was having stomach pains, plus my mom needed the car for work, so I just walked out. The incident report/injury form or whatever, was basically forgotten about, but my TL was so busy I didn't want to bother him and couldn't find him.

I'm now back in pain and nothing is helping, I know in the morning my arm is going to feel even worse and I should probably rest it, because working flow will just make it worse. So should I call now and tell them that I probably won't be coming in tomorrow because of what happened? Or wait until the morning? My TL basically assured me that I wouldn't be getting fired in general because SO many TM's are leaving/have left, and the simple fact that I'm still working there and coming in and planning to stay means they will keep me on. And that even he had to go home once and miss a shift because of his injury in the past.

Can I fill out one of these forms online or do I have to do it at work? Do you think it would be better in my favor to warn them now so they can ask another TM to fill in tomorrow? Any info would be great. Would I talk to my HR?

P.S. Thank you all who have put up with my long ass posts and dumb ass questions, I think it stems from my OCD and overthinking things complex. Thank you!

You can call today. Ask the LOD to fill out an incident report. It is not something you do, an LOD does. They should be able to do it over the phone. If it is worse tomorrow, you should have it looked at, but make sure to call again before going to a Dr. so it will be paid by Target.

I've had calling off the day before go both ways. Some etls are cool with it, some are dicks. I figure wouldn't they rather know asap?

Called Target, have to drive in when my mom brings the car back and fill out the incident report. super nervous, i hope it's not the LOD that hates me.

I've had calling off the day before go both ways. Some etls are cool with it, some are dicks. I figure wouldn't they rather know asap?
Well I explained on the phone that I wanted to give a heads up rather than calling in last minute. She seemed okay with it, and told me not to freak out, but she's not the LOD I'll be speaking with.

If the LOD is not the TL who you originally reported the injury to, they will not be too happy having to fill out the incident report. Nothing personal against you, it is just a time consuming process and the LOD will be thinking about all the other stuff they have to accomplish that day. The original LOD really should have filled out the incident report. Whoever fills out the report will call the company Nurse-Line and they will tell the LOD what you should do based on your symptoms. If you are in a great deal of pain and really having trouble using it, the Nurse-Line will probably tell the LOD to send you to the urgent care facility in your area that Target has contracted with. They will examine you (maybe even do an x-ray) and then prescribe any medication you need. They will even recommend physical therapy for your arm if it is necessary once it is healed. You shouldn't have to pay a dime since it happened while you were on the clock.

If the LOD is not the TL who you originally reported the injury to, they will not be too happy having to fill out the incident report. Nothing personal against you, it is just a time consuming process and the LOD will be thinking about all the other stuff they have to accomplish that day. The original LOD really should have filled out the incident report. Whoever fills out the report will call the company Nurse-Line and they will tell the LOD what you should do based on your symptoms. If you are in a great deal of pain and really having trouble using it, the Nurse-Line will probably tell the LOD to send you to the urgent care facility in your area that Target has contracted with. They will examine you (maybe even do an x-ray) and then prescribe any medication you need. They will even recommend physical therapy for your arm if it is necessary once it is healed. You shouldn't have to pay a dime since it happened while you were on the clock.

The nurse I talked to just said to keep it rested and monitored, and if it got worse then go see a doctor. This all sounds like way too much hassle, maybe I should just call out and skip the incident report. I don't want to piss anyone off.

Can't I just tell the LOD that I called the nurse, report what she told me 'to rest it and monitor it, etc', and that I'll be back in on monday? It's not serious enough to the doctor, my arm is just bruised and it's painful to work with, not fractured, I don't need xrays. and I know it's just going to be even more sore in the morning. If i just leave it alone for a couple days I'll be fine by monday.

I think I'm just going to call again, say I was supposed to come in to do the incident report but I don't feel it's necessary. I've already called the nurse line, she told me to rest it and monitor it, so I won't be coming in tomorrow as I don't want to put any strain on it but will be back on Monday for sure. Just to save everyone time.

There is a possibility that is could be worse than just a bruise. I hurt my shoulder a few weeks ago and didn't fill out an incident report at first but it didn't get better even after taking it easy. About two weeks later I filed a report and got sent to the doctor. It ended up being a pulled/strained muscle in my shoulder and a pinched nerve in my elbow.

I would highly suggest doing the incident report because if it turns out to be something worse and you have to go the doctor it could get expensive. Putting it off could also cause more damage if it is something more serious than just a bruise.

And as someone who fills out incident reports, its just not that big of a deal. Its the LOD's job. You should go in and take care of it now. Your arm could get worse, and then what?

If I were you, I would just go in and do the incident report. So what if you piss some people off? It's not your fault you got injured and they have to do the report. Sure it's nothing right now but what if in the future it worsens and who will have to be dealing with it is you and having it come out of your own pocket.

The only thing is, I have a primary doctor and I don't have to pay anything to see him at all. I'd just have to make an appointment and go see him explain what happened at work, and he'd take care of it. The whole Target process sounds unnecessary if I don't have to worry about paying to get it looked at if it becomes worse. And I'd rather not make waves and piss anyone off during my 90 days.

GO IN AND DO IT. It also covers your ass if you have to miss work because of your arm.

This! Those types of things can nag at you. Get it documented.

I have an ankle I am going on eight months fighting with cause I sprained it bad and didn't get it looked at right away so all my treatment has been behind where the injury is. Eight months of pain cause I couldn't stop and get it right looked at. Not even a job injury, I tripped over a dog bed.

Yetive, is just trying to help you. We have been with the company for awhile and know what can happen. It's great that you have no co-pay with your own physician, however, if it is more than a serious bruise, and you try to have whose ever healthcare insurance company you are currently covered by take care of it later, that insurance company could say it is a work injury, your employer should cover it. Target's insurance company can say, no incident report was filed in a timely manner, there is no record of you injuring yourself, so we aren't paying either. You could then be left in limbo, with you having to pick up the tab or spend money on a lawyer to get Target to pay what they would have paid initially if you had filed an incident report.

These things happen and we are just trying to protect you. I've filed two incident reports in my many years at Target, and it's not bad. You just answer questions about what happened and Target does the rest.

Yetive, is just trying to help you. We have been with the company for awhile and know what can happen. It's great that you have no co-pay with your own physician, however, if it is more than a serious bruise, and you try to have whose ever healthcare insurance company you are currently covered by take care of it later, that insurance company could say it is a work injury, your employer should cover it. Target's insurance company can say, no incident report was filed in a timely manner, there is no record of you injuring yourself, so we aren't paying either. You could then be left in limbo, with you having to pick up the tab or spend money on a lawyer to get Target to pay what they would have paid initially if you had filed an incident report.

These things happen and we are just trying to protect you. I've filed two incident reports in my many years at Target, and it's not bad. You just answer questions about what happened and Target does the rest.

Oh, I know you guys are just trying to help. I wasn't trying to come across like a snob. I'm just being a stubborn lazy ass, but now it makes sense to me. So basically I fill it out and in the event that it DOES become something worse, that I have to go to a doctor or something, they have my back. Rather than being on my own, etc. Target isn't going to force me to go see a doctor over it, which is what I was worried about, because I just want to keep ice on it and rest. Sorry for any misunderstanding. I think once they see the bruise they'll understand me calling out tomorrow. I just hate that this is happening during my fucking probation period and hope I don't get fired or something. I'M WAY TOO PARANOID, fuck.

They will not fire you over it. Just go and file the incident report tonight. You will have covered your ass and the rest of us posters will feel better that you did.:)

I am :) Jdebating whether I should tell them tonight if I wont be coming in tomorrow, or wait until morning.

Yes, some TLs are horrible and a pain in the ass to deal with, but it is their job to deal with these things. If it is your wicked TL then just grind through it. Go in tonight, file the incident report, and tell them you won't be in tomorrow (in fact, the Nurse-Line will probably tell you need at least a day off to ice it). Then you are covered.

And if you tell your doc it happened at work your claim will be denied and you will be paying for it or having to file for work comp(someone who billed claims for 10 years). Any mention or work comp and it gets real, real fast.

You won't get fired. People get injured at work. If you have to see a dr, you will also have to take a drug test. If that comes back positive, you will get termed. So unless you test positive for drugs, you have nothing to worry about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back