Archived Snakes in the grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobycord

Know a little bit of info about a lot of stuff
Are most coworkers at other Targets just snakes and back stabbers trying to get ahead of you for a position and just because they want to gossip or is it just my store? I've had so many of my coworkers (mostly those who've worked at Target 3 and 4 times as long as me) smile in my face and say how great of a job I do and how they can see me going far....then I'll get asked by someone else why that SAME person is so upset at me or what did I do to them for them to say how horrible of an employee I am.

Our store is like the US and Soviet Union during the Cold War. Two groups (the veterans and the newbies) that hate each other and more secrets and undermining than a 007 film (except theres no sexy Bond girls). I've done my best to just keep my mouth shut about anything I see or hear. When people tell me something I already know (but shouldn't) I act all surprised and fascinated. But really I don't care and don't want to know. None of that information will get me a raise or more hours, so what's the point.

There aren't many "veterans" around, unless you consider anyone who has lasted over a year and a half to be veterans. There are a few who get the stink-eye now and then, but they typically know who they are and they don't last long.

However, overnight and dayside are archenemies. We blame each other for everything. We talk maaaad crap.

A lot of people hate the fact that I got hired as a seasonal worker in 2014 and I've already been promoted to Electronics and bring in at MINIMUM 35 hrs a week without trying. They always ask how I do it and how I know so much about what's going on around the company (thank you breakroom btw). Because I ask so many questions, know so much about what's going on (thanks to you all), and bust my ass I get hated on for it and the daggers keep flying my way.

It reminds me of that one TM who quit because I got the TL position and I asked him to do a quick zone on one aisle and he went off on me. Said he wasn't going to let some "punk ass kid" boss him around. That's the issue our store has when it comes to newbies and veterans. The vets are pissed the younger kids are doing better and feel like they should get all the glory for being there 10+ years when they don't do anything worth getting promoted over. They rag on us all the time and I don't want to be a bitter old man with man boobs so I just ignore most of it. I work my ass off and people can say what they want.

However, overnight and dayside are archenemies. We blame each other for everything. We talk maaaad crap.

This. This was the case while I was on Flow, and its the case now that I fled to Front End.

Granted we do have some people on Flow I avoid and some I love seeing. I'm still never going back.

To the OP...don't worry its not just your store..Hell, I have worked with one person for over 18 years...and she stabs me in the back everytime she gets the chance. (she talks crap about everyone )I have etls, srtls, tms, STLS, come up to me and say hey I thought you and so and so...were friends...then I know whats coming . They then say well, you need to watch your back because I overheard her running you down about so and so. I always say well thank you for letting me know but that's just how she is . Sad to say but its the truth...you cant do anything right by her...and she will stab you in the back all while smiling in your face. I am not going to say that it still doesn't upset me from time to time...but now I pretty much ignore it. I look at it like this...there is something missing in her life that she feels the need to do that...that's on her not on me. The older I get the more I realize...if someone is running to you every 5 minutes running someone down like a dog....then you can be assured they are running to someone else talking about you the moment your back is turned. I c ant control how anyone else acts but I sure as hell can control how I act and react to what they do.....like Taylor Swift says... Haters going to hate....shake it off shake it off....then after you shake it off...stand back and wait for karma

I started in November and my tl is already saying I am a 'proven veteran' in casual conversation. 8.25 to 10.50 now, I'd say they want to retain me. I walked over 50 miles last week there lol. Feels good

This is the case in most workplaces. To most people, anything you can do to make yourself look better is worth doing. Coworkers are not friends. They are expendable. I think there are far too many people who see their job as more of a social environment.

Besides, regardless of what you think of someone, being negative and critical to someone's face is almost always a bad idea, unless you're in a leadership role. Someone can take it as two face behaviour, but I see it as courtesy. If someone is doing a bad job, and management asks you, you should be honest. Otherwise, you're simply allowing poor work to continue and possibly taint other team members.

It can get pretty bad here in the southern U.S. We've got that southern hospitality and everyone is friendly, but our cultural pastime is gossip. So you hear talk about everyone's business everyday. There are some people who just run other people down though and I try to stay away from that and/or shut it down.

I imagine every store is like high school, gossip and cliques abound. No one trusts anyone in my store, it's pretty bad. What I've learned is that you have to watch what you say and who you say it to, because it can wind up anywhere, even if they didn't intend for it to.

Walk softly and carry an enormous stick.

I get along with almost everyone at my store, mostly because everyone knows I am one of the hardest workers in the store, yet can still throw out the wit, and work hard with a good sense of humor.

Walk softly and carry an enormous stick.

I get along with almost everyone at my store, mostly because everyone knows I am one of the hardest workers in the store, yet can still throw out the wit, and work hard with a good sense of humor.

This.

Be humble and work hard. But if someone comes at you sideways, respond immediately and in most cases, aggressively by explaining to them in detail thw shitstorm you can rain on them. It won't happen more than a few times before people understand your golden rule

Don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

This.

Be humble and work hard. But if someone comes at you sideways, respond immediately and in most cases, aggressively by explaining to them in detail thw shitstorm you can rain on them. It won't happen more than a few times before people understand your golden rule

This is me in a nutshell lol. My SrTL always tells me to think before I react but she honestly loves it when I fire back at people who try to make little smart remarks over the radio and I make them look stupid right back....in the most professional way of course.

This.

Isn't this the #1 rule in Jail too?

:eek: haha

This is me in a nutshell lol. My SrTL always tells me to think before I react but she honestly loves it when I fire back at people who try to make little smart remarks over the radio and I make them look stupid right back....in the most
professional way of course.

my favorite is...

"Team does anyone know if we carry... *insert extremely specific popular item*" -Exclaims my walkie

"Give me one second, and I'll look it up in my new MyDevice."

At the end of the day here, there, anywhere don't say anything you wouldn't say to your most important other or worst enemy. Love vulnerability enemity all part of interaction chart your course thoughtfully. Live in front of (God).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back