Archived So am I just being an ungrateful a-hole, or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSAhole

Former GSA
Now, before I get started on the situation at hand, let me give you a little backstory here.

When I first became GSA, I had been running GSA shifts on my own for at least a month prior. When they gave me the title, my ETL-HR said instead of having me interview for the position she was just going to override me into the system as a GSA, so that, as she blatantly put it, she "would not have to give me backpay." As if that wasn't insulting enough, the raise in my district is supposed to be 50 cents for a GSA. She gave me 25 cents. I challenged her on this, and all she had to say was "Sorry." I spoke to my GSTL's about it, and one of them did some digging for me and confirmed it was definitely supposed to be 50 and that I was stiffed. I still went with the position anyway (dumb).

Anyway, annual review time comes around and I've only been with the company for a year, so I'm not expecting a stellar raise and I've heard that they're a joke anyway. I thought I'd be lucky to get more than ten cents. Turns out my review was pretty great and I walked away with a 60 cent raise, bringing me from 9.75 to 10.35. So I was somewhat satisfied, until today.

So today after I clocked in for work, I was made aware by my ETL-HR that starting wage at my store will be going up from 9.50 to 10.00. She told me I'll be impacted because I'll be raised to 10.50. I make 10.35 now, so that's a 15 cent raise for me, whoop dee doo. I couldn't have cared less about it until she walked away and I started thinking about it, and then I got kind of pissed. If I currently make .85 more than a a cashier makes, should I or should I not get to keep that?

I had a discussion with my ETL-GE about this afterwards, and he just said a bunch of fancy shit, tried to get me to bathe in the big red kool-aid fountain he keeps in his office, and concluded with "nobody else's pay got pro-rated."

I can get that. Other people got raises too and they aren't getting pro-rated. Okay. Fine. I'm still mad. Am I right to be mad? On one hand at least they gave me the 50 cent minimum they were supposed to give me this time, unlike when I first got promoted, but on the other I want the 60 cent raise that I earned. Am I wrong?

When base pay became $9 many people lost the rasies that they earned in the same way. So a cashier that was with the store for a while and got a raise last year from 8.50 to 8.75 is now makeing the same $9 as the cashier that started last week.

This is SOP for Target as a whole. When Target raised minimum base pay to $9/hour, I seriously doubt anyone but the most favorite special Bullseye snowflakes (and maybe a few hard workers with super hero ETLs) got to keep their merit raises. I lost 6 years worth of merit raises this year. Is this right? Hell no! Is anything going to be done about it? Nope, because Target is "doing us a favor" by giving us base pay raises.
Being paid minimum wage is essentially being told, "If I could pay you any less, I would," by corporations and business owners.

tumblr_mwwsz9s2nj1rziwwco1_500.gif

Gotcha. I guess I never thought of it that way, how so many people in the company just lost all their merit raises when the $9 base was put in place. I'll just suck it up and deal with it like everyone else did. I'm just so highly frustrated with so many other things at Target right now, and so even the small things are just pushing me over the edge. As far as getting a better raise, I'll just keep chasing that team lead carrot they're dangling and hope I get a bite one day (although I'm beginning to wonder if that's what I even want anymore....)

Everybody is mad about it, and it affects literally everybody. From the TM all the way up to the STL. When minimum goes up significantly, base rate changes are made across the board.

So if an ETL starts off at 45k, gets a few raises, is now making 52k, but base rate goes up to 55k the next year...that ETL is screwed. Target has never officially addressed it, it just kinda slides by and you're expected to accept it.

The major problem though I see is that Target refuses to acknowledge or appreciated experienced team members and will do whatever it can to get away with not giving out merit increases. It's insanely bad for moral and I've known plenty of TM's who have destroyed their BTS because of it.

Always keep an eye out for new opportunities outside of Target. I'm considering volunteering at my zoo or an animal shelter in the hopes that I can network and maybe land a job. I'll take getting paid to scoop the nastiest zoo poo over Target, if the pay is right.

First of all, you are owed that backpay. My ETL-HR tried to play that BS with me too when I also did GSA shifts without being keyed as a GSA or receiving the raise for over a month. I made sure I got every cent of backpay, all the way back to the first day I was ever given a GSA shift. But I wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't demanded it. That is absolutely something your HR is capable of doing, and you were definitely stiffed. Also, I don't know how they only gave you 25 cents when the GSA jobcode should automatically bump you to the GSA paygrade which is 50 cents. That too sounds like a crock of shit.

We need more threads like these, IMO, to spread awareness about how shitty the GSA position really is. It really is such a fucking thankless, crappy job and I feel pity for everyone who has to endure it. It's crazy to be given so many more responsibilities for such little pay. When people find out just how little it pays for the responsibilities given, they are usually shocked (as they should be). I'll be so glad when I'm gone from this horrible company and horrible position.

Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm getting that backpay now. I don't even want to bother with it, its been 6 months since I moved into this position anyway. A little too late...plus your story scares the shit out of me, I walk on eggshells for fear of having the same sort of thing done to me that was done to you @Flabbergasted.

Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm getting that backpay now. I don't even want to bother with it, its been 6 months since I moved into this position anyway. A little too late...plus your story scares the shit out of me, I walk on eggshells for fear of having the same sort of thing done to me that was done to you @Flabbergasted.

Yep, the reason I'm in trouble now is because I didn't walk on enough eggshells. Being in any kind of leadership position is toxic at my store. If you don't conform to 100% of their expectations -- if you aren't perfect in every way -- they will destroy you. But since I'm going to be leaving as soon as I get a new job, I no longer have to give a shit. I just do enough to get by.

The same exact thing happened to me when the $9.00 thing happened. I also felt I was getting the shaft, so I went to my ETL, he went to my STL and I did get a HEFTY increase, but I had to change workcenters to justify it. I don't think you are being ungrateful at all. Drove me nuts that people walking in the door were making only a few dimes less an hour after I've been here almost 4 years.

• I didn't think that retail jobs would need a union, but these cheap ,manipulative and exploitative tricks need to be stopped. Only way I can see that happening is to make the public aware of how Spot treats its employees, or organizing a union.

My district just raised the starting pay to $10.50. Nobody over $10.50 got a raise - not the TMs who'd been there for years, not the TLs, not the ETLs. That's just how it works. If they gave equivalent raises to everyone, they wouldn't be able to raise the starting pay. That's the way of the world, not just Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back