Archived So I signed up for a swap shift, then realized I couldn't do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullMonkey

Ex-Backroom Badass
Someone wanted to swap out their Electronics shift, and that's a department I've been wanting to try out. Talked to some co-workers, and they didn't see a problem with me giving it a shot.

Only after I signed up and left for the day did I realize it's an opening shift, which I'm not comfortable with, and I'm not back in to work until Friday.

Anything I can do about it?

I've never been trained on it, or... much of anything else?

I don't see why that's an issue.

I am sure there will be people to ask questions, and opening should be the easiest shift, first few hours are the slowest time of the day.

I suppose. Assuming they're even okay with me taking the shift.

I dunno, just not super comfortable with something I don't have training in when it's such a responsibility, so freaking out a little.

Any tips on Electronics then?

After having been in Market for a little over a year. I had to cover for the Electronics guy for 3 hours after he went home sick.

Never again..

about 25 minutes into it, I was damn near BEGGING people to let me "PLEASE! let me help them find something!!" I was unbelievably bored.

I'm scared of royally fucking up, mostly.

I've only ever done cashiering/salesfloor. I meant to sign up for electronics, but not an opening shift. I'd hoped there'd be others to help me out.

Last edited:
As long as you know how to work a register, a walkie and know how to zone, you should be fine..if a guest is asking you questions about items you aren't familiar with, then let them know you are just covering for someone. In my store, most TM's In seasonal, hard lines and some of soft lines know a bit about electronics and may be able to help. If you are in a horrible bind, last resort is to call the lod
Don't get worked up about it.. It's one shift...gotta start somewhere..
I learned guest services, jewelry, photo and food ave by being thrown into them with no training at all. My cash office training was one day and they expected me to know what i was doing...that was hard..I threw up quite a few mornings before those shifts...
In fact my first GSA shift I was given a piece of paper and pen by the opening gstl..she said this is how you close the registers...Write it down...then she said, have a good night, bye.

Wow... that, actually makes me feel a lot better.

My only other concern is Electronics keys.

An opening shift should be pretty easy. No new items going on sale Friday mornings so most likely there won't be anyone running in the door to get to you!

I still have yet to get a damned CO shift, one was scheduled, trainer called in. Never been scheduled again.

After having been in Market for a little over a year. I had to cover for the Electronics guy for 3 hours after he went home sick.

Never again..

about 25 minutes into it, I was damn near BEGGING people to let me "PLEASE! let me help them find something!!" I was unbelievably bored.

Lucky! Anytime I've ever had to cover electronics, it got slammed. It could be quiet back there all day, but when the electronics TM goes on break or lunch, it instantly gets super busy. And it doesn't help that I don't know anything about most of the electronic devices we sell (I'm not a gamer, photographer, or audiophile) and I'm terrible at selling (my all-time AAR is most likely zero and my conversion is abysmal).

Wow... that, actually makes me feel a lot better.

My only other concern is Electronics keys.

Ask the GSTL or LOD for a set of electronics keys, and make sure you sign them out and back in. The lock-ups are fairly straight-forward, but if you don't know how to open a spider wrap or clamshell, the majority of the dayside team should be able to show you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back