Archived So what happens when Backroom closers call out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our two backroom guys called out today on the same day an my STL called me I simply told him I didn't feel like covering the shift because I wanted to finish sleeping

So there is no brtm after 2pm. What happens to the cafs, bale, flexes, ship to store, and the shiton of other stuff?

We once had a sales floor TL cover the backroom during CAF hours. The only thing said TL couldn't do was make a bale, so the LOD did that. Of course, this was in February when there weren't enough hours to have more than one closer scheduled, let alone call in a TM.

We have ship from store cover it, but before we had it they would use a combination of the LOD or other TLs/TMs. All of our TLs, from the GSTL to the Starbucks TL are plenty competent in the backroom.

asants- If they call out early enough they will try to call someone in and replace them. If that's not an option they will then try to get someone from the morning shift to stay longer...then the etls I nthe building will cover the rest. They will also throw someone back there from the salesfloor if need be.

My store is in the exact same position today. Morale has been pretty terrible lately, so when the BRTMs realized no one was scheduled for today (aside from one BRTM scheduled outside of their availability, meaning they wouldn't show up) I think we were all weirdly happy about it, imagining the LOD freaking out while trying to handle stuff.

Too bad it's not a Sunday night closing shift...I'd love to see them scramble around trying to get everything done on a Sunday night.

My store is in the exact same position today. Morale has been pretty terrible lately, so when the BRTMs realized no one was scheduled for today (aside from one BRTM scheduled outside of their availability, meaning they wouldn't show up) I think we were all weirdly happy about it, imagining the LOD freaking out while trying to handle stuff.

Too bad it's not a Sunday night closing shift...I'd love to see them scramble around trying to get everything done on a Sunday night.
As horrible as it may sound.... Id LOVE watching the idiot ETL/LOD running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to figure out a way to get things done!

As horrible as it may sound.... Id LOVE watching the idiot ETL/LOD running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to figure out a way to get things done!

I would imagine that it depends on whether there are any other ETL's in the building. One of the spare ETL's would probably hop back and cover the backroom. Either that, or pull a competent salesfloor TM. Possibly both.

It's funny to think about today/tonight...but the mess you will come into tomorrow will more than make up for that amusement today.

I almost always close, but when I mid or open and a closer calls off, they ask me to stay longer and by "longer" they mean til the closer was scheduled to leave. I usually give them an extra hour and that's it.

When they call me on my day off, 99% of the time it's because the closer called off. I almost never pick up.

Our dayside crew is so light and weak, if someone calls off they usually insource people from other departments who are decent in the BR to cover the must-do stuff like CAFs, no idea if they set the line or not. Backstock is out of the Q.

When one of our dayside guys no-call/no-show quit recently and they scrambled to get coverage from other departments, it shut some of the performance finger waggers up...for about a week.

Last edited:
Sort of happened yesterday. The closer had to leave due to an emergency as the 6 PM CAFs were dropping. I was originally scheduled until 7:30 so I stayed an hour and half later to set the line, do cardboard, and do price change. LOD took over the backroom after I left.

Oh yeah then today we had no opener and one of our mids went home since he was sick as a dog. Thankfully the CAFs weren't that big. I pretty much did the 11's, 12's by myself with a small bit of help and the 1s and 2s alone.

In my store If the backroom TM calls out for the evening shift and they can't find anyone to come in or stay late, then the LOD has to do the majority of the CAF pulls as they are the only ones trained on the backroom equipment by that point in the day.

We have ship from store cover it

So all of your ship from store TMs are backroom trained? I am just beginning to work SFS but am definitely not backroom trained. Neither are several more experienced SFS folks. I was given a basic rundown of backroom locations, but have no idea how to pull product/do CAFs.

So all of your ship from store TMs are backroom trained? I am just beginning to work SFS but am definitely not backroom trained. Neither are several more experienced SFS folks. I was given a basic rundown of backroom locations, but have no idea how to pull product/do CAFs.
Pulling cafs is basically the same way you pull sfs product out of the backroom.

Oh. Maybe I could handle it then. But im not very quick at it and at least at my store they are constantly freaking out about the timing for CAF pulls

Well our team has more than tripled in size for the order increase these past few months, but still most of them technically know how to pull CAFs. They may not be very fast at it though.

Only thing I'm worried about is that a bunch of our SFS team are seasonals, so we're gonna lose a bunch of them pretty soon.

What I hate is some of our SFS TMs don't pull the casepack out from the location. They'll open the box and then just grab the required amount, leaving an open casepack in the section.

If they do pull the casepack, then they'll just leave the excess in front of the aisle. Doesn't take you a minute to STO the item. Hell, at least put it in a flat/tub

What I hate is some of our SFS TMs don't pull the casepack out from the location. They'll open the box and then just grab the required amount, leaving an open casepack in the section.

If they do pull the casepack, then they'll just leave the excess in front of the aisle. Doesn't take you a minute to STO the item. Hell, at least put it in a flat/tub

Are we supposed to pull the whole casepack then backstock whatever is left? Because when the BRTM showed me how to pull CAFs and backstock, he told me to just grab whatever is needed from the casepack.

Our TL has started doing order inquiry on those items to try and see who did it, and then reminding the TM to please not do that.

Are we supposed to pull the whole casepack then backstock whatever is left? Because when the BRTM showed me how to pull CAFs and backstock, he told me to just grab whatever is needed from the casepack.
No, that is almost never acceptable. I would only do that for no quantity items such as chips or anything in BUCK.

Always pull the full casepack, regardless of how many it asks for. If it's for SFS, take what you need and then backstock the rest in a waco. If it's for a pull, put the whole case on the pull and let salesfloor open it and put out whatever will fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back