Backroom Accuracy Indicator (BAI)

What is the difference between using the backstock function under the fill and backstock "tab" vs the red backstock icon under the single items info in my day? When do you use one vs the other and how will this effect the report

What is the difference between using the backstock function under the fill and backstock "tab" vs the red backstock icon under the single items info in my day? When do you use one vs the other and how will this effect the report
There is no difference between those when it comes to reporting. The type of backstocking they don’t want happening is using manual audits to put a bunch of things in a location.

They will strongly suggest using the backstock tab under Fill as it’s quicker, but scanning first and using the backstock button is, in my opinion, the best route as it lets you make sure the floor counts are correct before backstocking and without having to scan things twice.

I think with fulfillment backstock discrepancy you should be given a choice to either backstock the remainder of the casepack or send the rest to the salesfloor. Pathing should go waco, than salesfloor, than as a last resort the casepack. If the salesfloor is empty, why are we not sending the casepack to the salesfloor to be worked?
Great point.

Whenever I see this I tell OPU to just leave it for me to push to the floor.

There is no difference between those when it comes to reporting. The type of backstocking they don’t want happening is using manual audits to put a bunch of things in a location.
I used to use audit to backstock pallets of casepacks in a third of the time by prepping all the boxes onto empty shelves and then auditing them all in. Sad to see such a time-saving practice lost due to some shady nonsense done by other people

We apparently just started this and naturally the only TL who mentioned this was one I never work with.

This TL just happened to see me pulling.

Great communication as usual in my store.
Oh yours too? I usually find out some rule or way of working has changed when I'm being told I should know better than to do it that way and we do it this other way now.

I miss the truck TL. If you do shit wrong around him he just says stop do it this way and doesn't stand there lecturing you.

I have holding peer sessions with my fellow team leads to teach them about the change and give them tips on how to hold huddles with their teams. It's not up to me to talk to every team member about it, but I'll be damned if their leads say it was because they didn't know.

I have holding peer sessions with my fellow team leads to teach them about the change and give them tips on how to hold huddles with their teams. It's not up to me to talk to every team member about it, but I'll be damned if their leads say it was because they didn't know.
huddles with their teams

Since October 2019 I have been to exactly ONE huddle which was about a year ago.

When I first started working afternoons would do them a couple of times a week.

Last edited:
I really want to know how that works. A lot of errors are because someone literally just places an item in a location without scanning it or they take an item without scanning it.
Exactly. Can't trace that. It's still all about a fixing blame . I v become the most defensive person since working for this corporation. Even coming upon a spill and all eyes from tl s assume you did it cause you found it. Literally, a shelf in the backroom of my dept started to collapse as I was pulling because too heavy of items were placed in the waco , and the attitude of the tl that responded to my walkie call for help was as if I caused the hazard. He says, " that's why we don't put heavy items over 6 ft"...YEAH ! I dont!! Geeze. Did they bother to find who did that....noooo. They could attach me and walked away.

Exactly. Can't trace that. It's still all about a fixing blame . I v become the most defensive person since working for this corporation. Even coming upon a spill and all eyes from tl s assume you did it cause you found it. Literally, a shelf in the backroom of my dept started to collapse as I was pulling because too heavy of items were placed in the waco , and the attitude of the tl that responded to my walkie call for help was as if I caused the hazard. He says, " that's why we don't put heavy items over 6 ft"...YEAH ! I dont!! Geeze. Did they bother to find who did that....noooo. They could attach me and walked away.
It used to be about that for backroom metrics because the person who found the error would get the blame, but not anymore. With these new metrics, it's about correcting behaviors of people who make a lot of mistakes.

Oh yours too? I usually find out some rule or way of working has changed when I'm being told I should know better than to do it that way and we do it this other way now.

I miss the truck TL. If you do shit wrong around him he just says stop do it this way and doesn't stand there lecturing you.
Oh yes. Ours do a " round the leadership gossip about your errors" let you keep making them then blindside you to humiliate you as if you're stupid for not knowing how everyone has been doing it for the last 2 weeks. Only the in crowd tm s get the training. That way, they keep whoever they re threatened by, down.

"that's why we don't put heavy items over 6 ft"

Our store ignores that all the time.

Those high shelves are also case stock ones!

Looking at this thread I am actually very scared because I do literally everything that has been mentioned:

Backing out to fix errors before they are made.
Repeatedly backing out to remove stupid items from my priorities. (No I don't need 45 Alexas...)
Using Audit to backstock faster.

Looking at this thread I am actually very scared because I do literally everything that has been mentioned:

Backing out to fix errors before they are made.
Repeatedly backing out to remove stupid items from my priorities. (No I don't need 45 Alexas...)
Using Audit to backstock faster.

That's because you've worked in a system that lacked sophisticated root cause reporting. This is a major step in the right direction.

Instead of applying band-aids, surfacing the patterns that lead to chaotic backrooms.

Of course, it's only as good as the leaders driving accountability to best practices.

Using Audit to backstock only saves time if you're backstocking a crap tons of items into a single location, which, generally, you probably shouldn't be doing anyway.

Using Audit to backstock only saves time if you're backstocking a crap tons of items into a single location, which, generally, you probably shouldn't be doing anyway.
Saves you a trip on the WAVE if you're putting stuff in the steel with the stacker. It also saves a ton of time if you're reorganizing the backroom and moving a lot of things around.

Kind of a niche thing, but I've also used it to locate pallets of freight that came in before inventory. Saves a lot of time to just print backroom reporting with barcodes instead of doing pre-count sheets for transition freight.

You guys make good points, but you're also probably not the team members causing all the problems. It's clearly expressed that the pattern reporting isn't meant to be the end-all-be-all for coaching team members, but rather a starting point for validating the team members training and actions for accuracy. The reporting is divided into tiers based on potential impact. Backstocking using Audit instead of backstock will probably not be a major focus unless the person is doing inaccurate audits, which we have started to see already.

You guys make good points, but you're also probably not the team members causing all the problems. It's clearly expressed that the pattern reporting isn't meant to be the end-all-be-all for coaching team members, but rather a starting point for validating the team members training and actions for accuracy. The reporting is divided into tiers based on potential impact. Backstocking using Audit instead of backstock will probably not be a major focus unless the person is doing inaccurate audits, which we have started to see already.
You're not wrong and communication for the move to BAI even mentions that the numbers aren't meant to be taken at face value.

But that's still happening, at least in my district. Especially with 0 minute INFs (to the point where TMs are told to stand around for a minute before INFing, even if they know the item isn't there). When BAI officially rolls out, I can see it happening with that too. Maybe not in all districts, but definitely in a lot of them. Instead of being told to back out and audit, we'll be told to skip the more efficient methods and waste time just to satisfy reporting even when we know no errors are being made.

The most frustrating thing about all of this is that it could all be avoided if Target just brought back backroom teams. When they saw the metrics for other areas falling, they bit the bullet and brought back dedicated teams to better manage those metrics. They're doing everything but that for the backroom.

Saves you a trip on the WAVE if you're putting stuff in the steel with the stacker. It also saves a ton of time if you're reorganizing the backroom and moving a lot of things around.
You can still do all of that without the anudit and the wave .
The way I had it was a sheet with all the upper location for each aisle in receiving .

Back