Priority Pulls

Let's say I fill an item on the floor to capacity.

Now that DCPI drops out of priority pulls.

A guest then buys that item and now that DCPI drops into the priority pulls again.

Does the system count that as never being pulled in the first place?

How does OPU/SFS affect this if the item was picked BUT NOT shipped or picked up yet?

Last edited:
Let's say I fill an item on the floor to capacity.

Now that DCPI drops out of priority pulls.

A guest then buys that item and now that DCPI drops into the priority pulls again.

Does the system count that as never being pulled in the first place?

How does OPU/SFS affect this if the item was picked BUT NOT shipped or picked up yet?

Answering your first question. No, it counted it the first time. The PF% metric is quite simply "Total # of eaches filled / Total Sales Floor Need (SFN)"
So let's create an example. DPCI 123-45-6789 has a shelf capacity(Cap.) of 10, a sales floor quantity(SFQ) of 10, and a sufficient backroom quantity for this example.

You sell 7 units, which triggers a priority fill. Your SFQ is now 3 and your SFN is 7. The TM completes the pull and fills 7. SFQ is back to 10 and the present SFN is 0 (although the total for the day remains at 7). If that was the only thing you sold that day and the only thing filled, your PF% would be 100%. The TM filled 7 out of a total sales floor need of 7.

If, however, that same day, you sold another 7 units, but the TM didn't get back to refill it. Your total SFN for the day would be 14, but you only filled 7 of that need. So your PF% would be 50%.

OPU/SFS works the same way as if the item was sold. Picking the item from the sales floor lowers the SFQ by the number of units picked. If that lowers it below the threshold to generate a PF, then it will. However, that scenario should generally be uncommon since the TM should have been directed to pick from the stockroom first (unless it's fresh grocery). If the item doesn't get picked up, then the moment the Return-to-stock is completed, it adds the item back to the SFQ.

You can see the above listed logic occur if you look at Target Ledger, which keeps detailed item history of every action that affects the state of an item.

I understand the OPU/SFS now. Thanks.

This the issue.

"If, however, that same day, you sold another 7 units, but the TM didn't get back to refill it. Your total SFN for the day would be 14, but you only filled 7 of that need. So your PF% would be 50%."

I don't have enough time to repull AND push that item again.

They want a low DCPI but necessarily the Eaches.

They consider A better than B.

A) 20 DCPI, 250 Eaches
B) 25 DCPI, 100 Eaches

Last edited:
They want a low DCPI but necessarily the Eaches.

They consider A better than B.

A) 20 DCPI, 250 Eaches
B) 25 DCPI, 100 Eaches
Correct, because the metrics are based on DCPI and not eaches.

What Dysprosed is still correct however, as the same thing applies to both DCPI and eaches. If an item is sold and goes into priority, you pull it, it adds 1 to the DCPIs filled. If that item is sold again and goes into priority, it doesn't take away from the number filled, and if you pull it again, it increases the number filled again. So pulling the same item multiple times throughout the day counts as a new item each time.

Ultimately, PF% is a fundamentally flawed metric that is evaluated and weighed too heavily by leadership at all levels way more than is warranted. To achieve a high percent with the least labor expense actually encourages stores to behave in a way that is of the least benefit to our guests. Principly, that it is best to pull between as close to the store closing and midnight as possible. Our observation is that this incentivises behavior such as waiting to work the pull until after you're guaranteed of achieving the desired % across all fill groups. This might be fine for ensuring the next day's guests have fuller shelves, but does nothing for the current day's guest.

Consider older fill systems such as scheduled CAFs that occurred between 11am-5pm. Intuitively, I feel it minimizes the likelihood of stock outs between 5p and store close. This seems like this would be better for sales, but I wonder if the data supports this hypothesis.

Your correct all this does now is minimize the payroll needed to support the pulls. Priorities are more efficient short term, but leave your backroom fuller. Cafs were good but ate a lot of payroll. My store requires pulls to be at 60% and 100% oos at 4pm.

I work afternoons to close and didn't work yesterday.

I expect the DCPI in my department to be over 100 and the eaches around 500.

Also pulling items and leaving me to push them is someone negated since I am not pulling when I am pushing.

Of course I could pull a bunch and leave them to be pushed the next day.

I did this three times recently and none of it was so pushed.

Never again.

Also a couple of Saturdays ago I had to pull all the tags in my department which took 45 minutes.

Update:

My TL the other was disappointed in my Priority Pull Percentage and said I wasn't doing my job efficiently.

A couple of observations because I was really annoyed.

I worked one less day that week and the store is now open another three hours a day.

I leave at 10 but there was another TM there until Midnight and what were they doing?

My TL NEVER shows me the percentages from the days I don't work (gee I wonder why)

TL said we were getting an extra person months ago to pull all the Halloween and Christmas candy which never happened.

Finally all that candy is down an movable aisle (Montel) that is right next to the Toy aisle which they are constantly pulling.

Update:
My TL the other was disappointed in my Priority Pull Percentage and said I wasn't doing my job efficiently.

A couple of observations because I was really annoyed.

I worked one less day that week and the store is now open another three hours a day.

I leave at 10 but there was another TM there until Midnight and what were they doing?

My TL NEVER shows me the percentages from the days I don't work (gee I wonder why)

TL said we were getting an extra person months ago to pull all the Halloween and Christmas candy which never happened.

Finally all that candy is down an movable aisle (Montel) that is right next to the Toy aisle which they are constantly pulling.

Dream Baby, if you're okay giving me your store and TM number in a DM, I can give you cold, hard facts showing your Fill Productivity for any time period you specify. I can take a screenshot from Greenfield report and send it to you to show your TL. However, if it turns out you are in fact unproductive, it won't help your case.

Update:

Dream Baby, if you're okay giving me your store and TM number in a DM, I can give you cold, hard facts showing your Fill Productivity for any time period you specify. I can take a screenshot from Greenfield report and send it to you to show your TL. However, if it turns out you are in fact unproductive, it won't help your case.
I might do that.

It should be interesting today because my shift starts a half an hour later.

However there will be no one pulling after I leave at 10:00 PM even though we are open to Midnight.

I might do that.

It should be interesting today because my shift starts a half an hour later.

However there will be no one pulling after I leave at 10:00 PM even though we are open to Midnight.
When I left last night there over 200 DCPI left and numerous three-tiers to be pushed.

I only leave three-tiers if I don't work the next day otherwise I will have to push them.

It was all Christmas candy!

Back