Archived Softlines TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoldingPro

Softlines Team Lead
Hey guys! Two years ago when I first joined this site, I posted an intro voicing my interest in eventually becoming a team lead. Yesterday I was officially signed off! Just wondering if there are any pointers and tips you guys could give me? Anything is appreciated!

I'm not a TL but I think I know my softlines :). One thing that seems to be really important is partnering with your VMTL (if you have one). Ours helps a ton with adjacencies, mannequins, etc. When it comes to your team, give them clear expectations and keep them updated with what's going on. For example, my DTL had us move our RTW swim display to a different area on the floor pad, so my TL's been really focused on that. So every shift we try to get swim cleaned up and reshoped first. For zoning in the evenings, my TL assigns us each to areas where we are strong in, yet switches it up every once a while. Also, empower your team. We're encouraged to move clothes around if we see a rack that's pretty empty or messed up, etc. I really don't think I could ever be a softlines TL. It's a lot to handle. My store is A volume; we've got 2 hardlines TLs but only 1 softlines. Go figure lol. Good luck!

@pfreshmaid I first learned how to do adjacencies several years ago by only using the book. Go section by section, and basically just detail it to what the book calls for, flexing and merching those inevitable random pieces as you go along.

Congratulations!
I've been a Softlines TL for 18 months now. I'm actually being rotated this upcoming week.
Softlines is very challenging, but as long as you stay organized you'll be solid.
I went in knowing close to nothing about softlines, but I learned a lot from my training, team, and on my own.

- Take your training seriously. Target will probably give you minimal training, so make sure that little time spent at another store is productive. Ask questions! Read the manuals and online trainings. Ask the leader you’ll be with about their routines, scheduling, planning, performance management, and so on. Don’t focus on learning softlines tasks, you’ll learn how to fold and zone in your store.

- Make sure you have a good relationship with everyone in your store, especially other team leaders. It will make your job less stressful. My Flow TL has her team push all my assortments and she lets me know when I receive any transition merchandise. I also use her team to help me with reshop on days when we get flooded. My POG TL organizes all my POGs, label strips, and VA books. I go to my signing guy for all my fixture and signing questions. The GSTL always sends me cashiers when the front end is slow. Of course I help all of them out with whatever I can, but having a good relationship with your peers helps out a TON!

- Get to know your team and learn about their strengths and weaknesses. Make sure that they are all trained properly. I have a total of 16 team members and out of them I had 2 really strong team members. They didn’t start off that way, I made sure to train and challenge them. I wish I could take both of them with me to my new workcenter.

If you have any questions hmu

I wrote this post awhile ago for a new in role SL TL who wanted some tips. I figured you might find it useful.

Instead of saying "all stores are not the same" throughout this post, I'm just going to give advice as if it were for my store. If you're not in a year-round beach store like I am, Ready-to-Wear might not be the monster it is at my store because you don't get swimsuit traffic, etc.

My softlines breakout (in order of difficulty, hardest first) is 1) Ready-to-wear 2) Boys, girls and infants 3) Shoes/intimates/accessories 4) Men's and activewear. Whoever will be doing the hardest dept comes in earliest (RTW at 4:30) and the easiest comes in latest (Men's and active at 6-6:30). Obviously put your strongest people in the harder areas unless you are trying to performance someone out; put a bottom performer in RTW and the resulting nightly zone will be a PDD handed to you. When they come in they go to the fitting room for their assignment, along with grabbing their strays. Between shoes/intimates and men's activewear, whoever is done first will go over to accessories.

The task of openers will vary based on the dept's needs. Maybe they need to audit mannequins (make the outfits on mannequins more obviously available, change mannequins out if you're heading into a weekend and you don't have enough of the mannequin clothes to sustain sales, etc.) Maybe the closing team left basics for last and it's a disaster (to ensure this happen, at 10PM every night, my team hits basics for their respective depts.) Maybe it's zoning/working out jewelry. Maybe it's running strays from the night before -- which is usually the case. My mids exclusively run strays unless something else big comes up that needs to be addressed. In comparison to hardlines, softlines gets MASSIVELY more strays, so my dayside team is essentially there to guest service, do the occasional pickup if an area gets shopped hard, and to ensure that my closing team isn't overwhelmed with strays so that they can get a decent zone in.

Closers are there to zone, and run strays. Coming clean on strays and with a good zone is ideal, but your success on that will vary with the strength of your team. When my closers come in, they do a zone of the outside of their area (to maintain brand and have the area be inviting to guests --> driving sales.) Then they move through their area from one end to the other. Some closers will kind of bounce from bad area to bad area: strongly discourage this! That strategy makes it really hard to see at a glance where they're at in their zone, which is important so you can (1) see their pace and (2) determine if they're falling behind, so that someone from one of the easier areas could help out when done.

Fitting room is there to process rewrap and salvage, sort strays and check guests in and out of the fitting room. Rewrap and salvage should be done as it comes in; rewrap should then go immediately back with the right dept's strays, and salvage should be condensed and then FR should regularly call a cart attendant over to pick it up. Strays should be sorted into the dept's 3-tier for folded and z-rack for hanging. A huge part of sorting strays is for them to sort it by brand according to how the dept flows! If RTW moves from Mossimo Red to Mossimo Black, the strays on the rack should be sorted that way. Having the RTW TM sort the rack after FR has already "sorted" it is double work, and a huge waste. FR should also walk the fitting room every hour to check for empty packages.

Also remember that softlines much more than hardlines is a juggling game. If, at 8PM, you feel like you're doing better on zone than you are in strays, shift your focus.

My softlines breakout (in order of difficulty, hardest first) is 1) Ready-to-wear 2) Boys, girls and infants 3) Shoes/intimates/accessories 4) Men's and activewear. Whoever will be doing the hardest dept comes in earliest (RTW at 4:30) and the easiest comes in latest (Men's and active at 6-6:30). Obviously put your strongest people in the harder areas

Doesn't sound like the fairest breakout to me. I'm curious; do you find that everyone is able to finish their areas on time?

Doesn't sound like the fairest breakout to me. I'm curious; do you find that everyone is able to finish their areas on time?
On an ideal night when there's not too much backup and the closing team comes into a relatively clean fitting room, yes.

Must be a pretty high volume store to have that many folks closing. The store I'm at has dropped to one to two closers at most. That's the problem with shifting to an early morning store from an overnight process.

Wow, I must have a super high volume store. We rarely ever come clean anymore (though we did on the 4th of July after an EXTREMELY rough weekend which was exciting), and we usually have 4 or 5 closers plus a FRO. I must be a beach store because there's probably only like two months of the year that we don't have bathing suits. @MrGlobal that's crazy to me that boys/girls/infants is the second worst in your store! For mine it's definitely RTW, shoes/intimates/sleep/active wear, mens, infants, girls, then boys. I love reading about other stores, it's intriguing reading about everyones' different processes. I've lucked out that I've been at my store for so long and know everyone personally and whatnot. I guess that's part of what worries me, getting team members on board to see me as a leader rather than their peer, even though I've been running the zone the past few years. Maybe it's just my nerves getting to me and psyching myself out!

I'm a softlines SrTL (have been in role for about 5 months). I agree with others - don't be afraid to jump in and work with your team (they'll respect you more for it), create good routines around setting adjacencies and pogs (if you are in a store without a VML), and constantly train and develop your team.

As for schedule, I have 2 closers plus the fitting room (who is responsible for a zone) most of the year. This summer I've gotten more hours and been able to schedule 3 closers plus the fitting room (who will stay in fitting room prepping and running abandon). For dayside I usually have 1 opener in softlines and 1 in fitting room. When I have a lot of hours I try to schedule a mid shift TM in softlines. (I'm at a C volume Pfresh non-beach not high volume BTC store)

First off don't stress out about setting a VA. Find the block flow that most closely matches your store (none match our store layout, and some are not even 1% close). Then try to set your VA following the guide, as much as possible. Myself and my former team members really tried to focus on the first impressions. The ETLs, as well as the visitors to our store stopped walking our VA sets a while back, so I just starting to really make the set my own. I find that the VA just helps me to group like items and brands to together. I have learned to get creative (be bold in Target terms) do what makes sense for my store. Often times I find myself just doing a good zone of a fixture, as long, as everything that is there makes sense to me. I do however look at pictures on ISM signing to see if can match it up with the clothing or accessories going on that fixture. My only big issue right now is that I lost a brand member, so I am having to train some new folks, as I go. In some ways it is easier to train someone to follow the guide to a tee, than to make the set their own.

Hope this help and luck in your new role.

First off don't stress out about setting a VA. Find the block flow that most closely matches your store (none match our store layout, and some are not even 1% close). Then try to set your VA following the guide, as much as possible. Myself and my former team members really tried to focus on the first impressions. The ETLs, as well as the visitors to our store stopped walking our VA sets a while back, so I just starting to really make the set my own. I find that the VA just helps me to group like items and brands to together. I have learned to get creative (be bold in Target terms) do what makes sense for my store. Often times I find myself just doing a good zone of a fixture, as long, as everything that is there makes sense to me. I do however look at pictures on ISM signing to see if can match it up with the clothing or accessories going on that fixture. My only big issue right now is that I lost a brand member, so I am having to train some new folks, as I go. In some ways it is easier to train someone to follow the guide to a tee, than to make the set their own.

Hope this help and luck in your new role.
I had to tell one of new team members to do this yesterday in RTW, as we did not a manual for the VA there. I MySupported it, but had yet to get a response when I left. Also I am sure all they would do is a link to an online copy that will print out in back and white, which I don't care for. I much prefer the colored version.

not softlines, but tl. be a manager vs good team member. you can be flexible, do whatever the store needs, but if your department doesn't work than its on you. its a change and they give you the basics and maybe you get to train at another store.

if someone calls out repeatedly you bet your ass i follow up with coachings and get them on corrective as quickly as possible. i'm teaching people who have been tl's year's longer than me how to performance manage people out.

use your 90 days on new team members to really evaluate them and document their short comings. don't say well they're new.. if youre at 60 days and want to not keep them you want to have those documented.

create routines. have your team be able to run without you being there.

also develop. teach as much as you can. get mini you's.

Definitely agree on developing as many TMs as you can. They will help lay down the law when you aren't there and can help you get your department to where it needs to be. It is important to performance manage the team but it's equally as important to celebrate their achievements. We're accostumed to being told where our gaps are but we need to hear where we are excelling and know that our leaders appreciate it. That will build loyalty and push them to always do their best not only for the good of the department and store but because they want to make their leader proud. It's a good work relationship and makes their job more rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back