Archived Some questions and thoughts as a new guy (Flow)...

Should all flow team members be issued a PDA during their shift?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm terrible with introductions so what's up everybody :)

I started with Target on Monday as a seasonal logistics Flow member and have actually *really* enjoyed my job so far. Here's some things I'd like to field to the group.

1) Should all FTMs be issued a PDA (or myDevice or whatever) for their shift?
We start at 4:00am right now so there's not many people in the store, other than us, for a few hours. I ask this because we were all given a PDA for Black Friday (today) and ohhh boy did it make the job so much easier!! I was knocking out pushes in every department (focusing mostly on toys/electronics and HBA) sooo much faster than I usually do, despite being bombarded with questions from "guests" every 30 seconds.

I noticed that I was able to locate misc. items and get them back on the shelves in no time because I didn't have to run to a scanner (almost always half way across the store... Murphy's Law!). It made my job a cakewalk today.

2) What about "walkies"?
Definitely made life easier because if I absolutely *had* to get in touch with LOD or another team member, I didn't have to track them down or someone else with a radio to get the job done. Saved me a lot of time and a lot of walking! Doesn't seem to be needed but saved some time here and there.

3) Where can I find a list of terms/acronyms used at Target, in a single list that I can scroll through? (Not one that requires you to click on the beginning letter to see those terms) - Answered myself, I believe.
As we all know, Target loves some acronyms and weird terminology. I've finally learned the difference between a push and a pull, what backstock is and a few other things. But there's still a good handful of terms I need to know but I'm having a hard time remembering them (I learn better by seeing and reading than having someone tell me). Terms like whatever the crap in the red Target boxes are called when you have to figure out what it is, where it goes and then push it; autofill, softlines, hardlines, etc. Any ideas on this?
http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/target-talk-definitions.157/

4) I'm love working flow but I'm really wanting to transition into a job with more responsibility at some point down the line. What are some similar positions I should "keep an eye on" while I'm employed with Target?
Pretty self-explanatory. I'm looking to work more in the back than on the floor with guests and I love working in logistics. Any ideas?

Anyways, that's all I can come up with (well, remember) for now. Black Friday nearly killed me so I'm really not thinking all that clearly at the moment haha

Thanks everybody!

Last edited:
1). I say yes. Pick labels work fine, but loose items can be a pain to locate, especially for newer TMs. Plus, it makes flow members more helpful to guests who are looking for obscure items, or need a quick price check.
2). One person on flow should have a walkie. Walkies are not an absolute necessity
3). Check out the terminology post in the forums or the wiki. Most terms come naturally as you work there and use them in your vernacular. Any ones that are stumping you currently I can clarify for you?
4). Positions with more responsibility are electronics, GSA, and, obviously, TL positions. Recieving is also a good choice with more responsibility if you prefer the back

1. No. There is not enough equipment for special teams to complete work as it is. If you're doing the wave you're all in the same area so one-two pda's issued to the flow TL for the team to collectively use should be sufficient. Pay attention to your surroundings and learn what's in each aisle. Look at the endcaps when you begin your shift.

2. Yes. Any flow team member that is working on the floor after the store opens should be cashier trained, phone trained and use a walkie to enable them to assist guests. It gives a negative impression to have 4 people in an area and not one of them can efficiently help a guest. If backup is needed and there is nobody else available (I am a firm believer that all special teams should have walkies and respond to backup AFTER all salesfloor tm's have responded) flow tm's should be able to respond. Guests first should apply to all tm's.

3.See above answers.

4. If you like logistics keep an eye on receiving...but those jobs are few and hard to get unless someone retires or dies. Get crosstrained for the backroom and salesfloor so that you have a clue. You might enjoy the pfresh PA job...never have done it, but it seems interesting.

I am flow and don't usually have equipment, but someone working with me does. Flow does not need to hog all the equipment. 1 PDA for soft lines always, usually in market that then goes with team to toys, seasonal, kitchen and stationary. Much easier to get one now with other teams using my device. Lately a lot of our equipment sucks so I don't care if I have one or not, unless I know I'm going to the Backroom after lunch

I cringe when I see some of the trainers on flow training new tms with a pda from the start. It just teaches bad habits that are hard to break and most end up relying on the pda more than they should. To the point that they think they need one to push.

No one on flow or sales floor need PDAs, they can use the MyDevices just fine. New TMs that claim they need a PDA learn to read letters and numbers instead of learning the layout of the store. Read the labels, learn the endcaps.

More responsibility? Backroom, receiving, electronics, operator, HR, PA, leadership positions.

1) No, there aren't enough to go around for everyone. Read the pick labels. Those doing repack boxes may need them. Seasonal flow TMs at my store aren't even trained on that equipment.

2) Again, not enough to go around for those people who need them. Besides, when they can't back up cashier, won't respond to requests for guest assistance, or even respond to anything on them from any other team member, and everyone they do need to speak to is within 2 or 3 aisles, there is no need for them to have walkies. The exceptions to this, of course, is those who are willing to help out at the above tasks or are seen more as "leaders" in the loosest sense of the word.

3 and 4) already answered.

Welcome to Target and The Break Room! Always nice to see someone else who actually enjoys working on flow :p

1. Leadership (and every other team) always bag on flow about not pushing to second locations, but they won't give them the equipment to actually find and push to them. If you notice nobody else has one, go ahead and pick one up. If you already work with a couple people that have one, just ask to use theirs to scan. PDAs are useful this time of year. Just be mindful when other TMs who need one come into the store.

2. Walkies are useless while doing the wave, everyone is together. I work flow alone in electronics, so I should probably pick one up, but I never do. My ETL has learned that I'm not usually on walkie (unless I'm working backroom). My reason for not picking one up? Making them walk over to me forces them to see what mountain of push I'm trying to conquer that day....otherwise they'd forget about me.

3. The wiki and the Target Talk posts are a great resource. If the term isn't listed in either of those, search it on the forums. Chances are it's been discussed before. As far as the repacks (red/black Target boxes), the white ones and short ones, or anything with 9 circled is for Electronics, black ones are usually softlines or housewares. Ask your TL/ETL which numbers mean what.

4. I worked flow for about half a year. This time last year they asked me if I wanted to cross train for the backroom. I declined (didn't get along with a few TMs in the backroom). January of this year they asked if I wanted to be the new electronics pusher/backstocker. I jumped at the chance immediately. I am now responsible for pushing electronics, entertainment, and backstocking the electronics backroom. I also work backroom on some non truck days, and after the trucks. It's nice to be responsible for your own area of the store.

More backroom/flow positions: Bulk, trash/cardboard, Reverse Logistics, Backroom, Team Trainer.

People might laugh at being a team trainer and thinking there's more responsibility, but it's all about what you put into it. If you are good at your job and your TL/ETLs aren't horrible, they will appreciate someone who actually has interest in training and helping new TMs.

If Target would stop printing shelf labels with locations that are nearly impossible to read less people would need a PDA.

If the goal is speed & accuracy why not do everything possible to make it as easy as possible for people to read the locations? At least with a PDA you can scan (most of the time) the shelf label.

I completely agree with @POGguy

New TMs shouldn't get a PDA right off the bat. The need to learn how to read the pick labels and find locations without it. The PDA isn't a crutch, and while on Flow it's only useful for finding second locations that change frequently (seasonal, endcaps, check lanes, cartwell). No reason for any more than one or two TMs to have one.

I just want to say thanks to everybody that replied. Seriously. Not getting flamed because I'm the FNG is a good feeling haha So yeah, thank you!

That said, I really do think all of you hit the mark. I still haven't had the chance to use a MyDevice but the last couple days, I've had my hands on a PDA for most of my shift. I was pushing crap in EVERY section of the store, except men's clothing, the last two days. LOTS and LOTS of repacks! Some of the things, I've remembered seeing here and there (granted, I've only been on for a week) but being able to at least get an isle number really does help. I've learned to read the pick labels and the output from the PDA, so my times are dropping substantially.

That said, if a guest comes up with a question and I have absolutely no idea where to find what they're looking, I like having a PDA nearby to search (if I don't have a more experienced TM around). I'm guessing the MyDevice is capable of the same thing? I actually like the way they look because the PDAs are heavy as all hell when you're slinging one around for 8 hours haha

Anyways, thanks again. Keep the responses coming, I do appreciate it. I'll be asking more questions as they crop up! :)

Everyone starts off pushing truck (we'll mostly everyone). As time passes you will be analyzed by team leaders to see how well you work. Do u work fast? are you at work on time? Etc. Pretty much when a TL looses a TM, they start hunting for a new TM in flow. If you show good work ethic, when time comes, you will be picked to move up. The best you can do now, is ask to be cross trained in other work centers. That gives you the opportunity to try out other work centers to see if you like them or not. Also, When hours go down, or your needed to cover shifts, being cross trained is a good way to keep decent hours too.

Some good positions to look out for are of course team leader positions.
-recieving
-Price change
-presentation
-signing
Depending on what your interested in. Some work centers are more work and stress level is higer then others.

Good luck!

Last edited:
That said, if a guest comes up with a question and I have absolutely no idea where to find what they're looking, I like having a PDA nearby to search (if I don't have a more experienced TM around). I'm guessing the MyDevice is capable of the same thing?
If you have a smart phone, and don't have a problem with using it for work, download the Target app and set it to your store. It's very useful for searching for guests. It will show you the home location aisle as well as the UPC. From there, you can type it into a PDA to find the exact location.

The Mydevice eliminates the need to use your own phone, but for me, someone who needs a PDA for functions the Mydevice doesn't have yet, the app works great.

Every TeamMember should be issued a PDA and a walkie. The problem is that there is not enough to go around.

1) should all FTM's get a PDA when working?
I'd say yes, and no....

Yes, because I have been on the receiving end on terrible flow pushes more times than I can count, and them having a PDA would give them no excuse...
No, because as a PA(and more often than not the Market opener) hunting for a PDA to just start my job is insanely annoying... It is impossible to Qmos/Research/SDA without one, while for flow the only need is location accuracy, unless you are back stocking.

4) Transitioning into more responsibility.

You want more responsibility? Take on the Market portion of Flow full throttle, ask your PA's questions to learn the process (we order a decent amount of what you push) and if you are THE flow guy in market it can be a match made in heaven... And the whole Logistics Process Target has around Market is broken beyond belief, so if you can get that into shape using your own talents... that is something to be very proud of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back