Archived Someone please explain this to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that the laziest, dumbest, clueless and ignorant people who can't run their work center always get the promotional opportunities?

This is a different situation completely. We have a GSTL (I have *****ed about them enough on here that at least a couple of you will possibly remember)..Starting over because I'm trying to be cool?

We have this GSTL that is a complete non-factor. She seriously has ZERO impact on the store including her work center. The bulk of the work up there is done by 1 of the GSA's and the other GSTL, I'm speaking of setting endcaps, signs, training and developing the team, collaborating with others, orders...whatever. The majority of this person's day is standing in front of RTW calling for back-up or missing somewhere. I am not exaggerating on this, she will disappear for periods of time or stand there, just ****ing stand there and call for back up for hours. She stands there with a clipboard looking like a ****ing moron begging for back-up all damn day. She does not drive her team towards work center specific goals (redcard conversion, survey scores, zoning the damn lanes, etc.). She does not contribute to the store with projects, tasks or ideas (PCV, smart huddles, FDC truck, ad set/takedown, training, fun Friday ideas, saying hi to new team members, etc...you name it and she DOESN'T do it). She could be replaced by anyone to stand there and call for back-up. So how she is going to be the new replacement SrTL is beyond me. It seems the less you do and the more clueless you are about how things run the better you are rewarded.

This is a different situation completely. We have a GSTL (I have *****ed about them enough on here that at least a couple of you will possibly remember)..Starting over because I'm trying to be cool?

We have this GSTL that is a complete non-factor. She seriously has ZERO impact on the store including her work center. The bulk of the work up there is done by 1 of the GSA's and the other GSTL, I'm speaking of setting endcaps, signs, training and developing the team, collaborating with others, orders...whatever. The majority of this person's day is standing in front of RTW calling for back-up or missing somewhere. I am not exaggerating on this, she will disappear for periods of time or stand there, just ****ing stand there and call for back up for hours. She stands there with a clipboard looking like a ****ing moron begging for back-up all damn day. She does not drive her team towards work center specific goals (redcard conversion, survey scores, zoning the damn lanes, etc.). She does not contribute to the store with projects, tasks or ideas (PCV, smart huddles, FDC truck, ad set/takedown, training, fun Friday ideas, saying hi to new team members, etc...you name it and she DOESN'T do it). She could be replaced by anyone to stand there and call for back-up. So how she is going to be the new replacement SrTL is beyond me. It seems the less you do and the more clueless you are about how things run the better you are rewarded.

hmm, I think we work at the same store. I know this GSTL - annoying as he**

Our GSA cries, literally goes to the GE office and cries, when there's a backup because the pressure is too much. "You expect so much of me - I can't take this pressure - I'm having panic attacks." Guess what - she's getting promoted to GSTL after being an ineffective GSA for less than two months.

Think she's got friends in high places?

Our GSA cries, literally goes to the GE office and cries, when there's a backup because the pressure is too much. "You expect so much of me - I can't take this pressure - I'm having panic attacks." Guess what - she's getting promoted to GSTL after being an ineffective GSA for less than two months.

that's just great, because now she will have less stress and responsibilities. You know coaching, reviews, interviews, balancing workload, driving red cards.....

I wouldn't be so harsh and judgemental, she might be going through a hard time in her life/job right now.. That being said, if what you say is true, it might not be a good idea for a promotion at the present time for that TM.

GSA expectations can be unrealistic sometimes, and theres been times where the ETL-GE/GSTLs will pile a huge workload on us. If we don't manage it successfully, theres always the looming possibility of a brutal coaching. If anything GSA is more stressful than being a GSTL, because cashiers can be complete brats during your entire shift and theres not a whole hell of a lot that we can do about it. I don't find it even surprising that your GSA may have cracked under pressure (we all have at some point). Sure, there are ineffective GSA/GSTLs at every store, but I find that a lot of TMs on this site come off as overly critical about their leaders; its easy to be mad at the person who makes you backup cashier. I'm sure theres probably cashiers at my store who think I am incompetent and that my job is easy and I do nothing, but they really don't have a damned clue about all of my captainships and exclusive responsibilities that aren't blatantly obvious during my speedweaving.

There is a GSTL at my store that the front end TMs trash talk all the time, and one thing I hear a lot is how they think said GSTL doesn't do anything. Yet, they are one of the most effective GSTLs I have worked with, and they have been a great partner in driving profitable sales, and keeping things organized. Pretty much proves to me that most people are clueless.

Sorry I just feel like theres more to the story. TL promotion requires being interviewed by the STL/DTL and/or HRBP, your store leaders wouldn't pick somebody they think would fail miserably to go through the whole process.

Last edited by a moderator:
"GSA expectations can be unrealistic sometimes, and theres been times where the ETL-GE/GSTLs will pile a huge workload on us. If we don't manage it successfully, theres always the looming possibility of a brutal coaching. If anything GSA is more stressful than being a GSTL, because cashiers can be complete brats during your entire shift and theres not a whole hell of a lot that we can do about it. I don't find it even surprising that your GSA may have cracked under pressure (we all have at some point). Sure, there are ineffective GSA/GSTLs at every store, but I find that a lot of TMs on this site come off as overly critical about their leaders; its easy to be mad at the person who makes you backup cashier. I'm sure theres probably cashiers at my store who think I am incompetent and that my job is easy and I do nothing, but they really don't have a damned clue about all of my captainships and exclusive responsibilities that aren't blatantly obvious during my speedweaving."

Yeah, I get this but I was a GSA under the same GSTLs that are currently here. I'm now a GSTL so I know precisely what a "huge workload" she has as a GSA. Brutal coachings? Nope. Bratty cashiers? Nope, because she tattles on them. She simply isn't mature enough to handle the pressure that the job of GSA requires and she won't be able to handle the pressure as a GSTL any better. It won't affect me because her ineffectiveness as a GSTL will be no different than her ineffectiveness as a GSA - she just gets paid more for still doing nothing.

"GSA expectations can be unrealistic sometimes, and theres been times where the ETL-GE/GSTLs will pile a huge workload on us. If we don't manage it successfully, theres always the looming possibility of a brutal coaching. If anything GSA is more stressful than being a GSTL, because cashiers can be complete brats during your entire shift and theres not a whole hell of a lot that we can do about it. I don't find it even surprising that your GSA may have cracked under pressure (we all have at some point). Sure, there are ineffective GSA/GSTLs at every store, but I find that a lot of TMs on this site come off as overly critical about their leaders; its easy to be mad at the person who makes you backup cashier. I'm sure theres probably cashiers at my store who think I am incompetent and that my job is easy and I do nothing, but they really don't have a damned clue about all of my captainships and exclusive responsibilities that aren't blatantly obvious during my speedweaving."

Yeah, I get this but I was a GSA under the same GSTLs that are currently here. I'm now a GSTL so I know precisely what a "huge workload" she has as a GSA. Brutal coachings? Nope. Bratty cashiers? Nope, because she tattles on them. She simply isn't mature enough to handle the pressure that the job of GSA requires and she won't be able to handle the pressure as a GSTL any better. It won't affect me because her ineffectiveness as a GSTL will be no different than her ineffectiveness as a GSA - she just gets paid more for still doing nothing.

so how many GSTL's do you have then?

We currently have five; one's leaving so there's room for one more, but this is not the one IMO.

I don't think even the highest volume stores are allotted 5 anymore... that's odd.

How do people get those promotions? After dealing with some of our people-- for example, the ETL in Softlines.. I've determined it's not what you know, it's honestly who you blow. Some of the stupidest people I've ever met in my life got promoted to manager. Our one Guest Service ETL was so dumb she asked me how to spell furniture one time.

Usually its because they have that shiny piece of paper that says they are better and smarter than everyone else: a Degree.

because they smile. ignorance is bliss apparently. AND.. the executives see a mirror of themselves---- professional bull****ters that are great at interviews and have no leadership skills or ability to synthesize information.

Oh, we found out the reasoning. This GSTL just happens to be a referral from the ETL that went from a TM to TL to ETL in roughly 6 months also. Weird how things work sometimes!

9 years at spot started as a cashier ( 2 weeks) then off to softlines for a few years then moved to softlines shoes for a few years never got the backup or help i needed when i was not there and specalists titles were going away. went to entertainment for almost a year then they cut hours 4th quater is done with and i'm now plano. i have applied for many tl positions never once getting them.

reasons why i cant get tl
i need to work on being more out going ( gstl position/gsa) don't think i can run the front end
i am not ready to handle a few departments my interviews were really good but were not going to fill that position at the moment

9 years with sales floor experience and i am not ready to be a tl at spot. no write ups, no coaching's, no late's, i call out 3 times a year, never late. do my work finish it on time.

and i am not ready bull but then they will fill that position with someone from the outside who will work less than a month and quit we had quite a few of them oh this is our new "star tl" i open my avaliblity open to close and i get denied by work brain i fill it out again and i get approved

I was always told that I "wasn't leader material" but leadership didn't hesitate to assign me EITs to train over the front end (including leader roles).
Whatev.
Now I'm at FA/SB where I don't have to worry about leadership issues.

Yea, I was told I don't think globally and yet I keep track of just about every department in the store.

I was always told that I "wasn't leader material" but leadership didn't hesitate to assign me EITs to train over the front end (including leader roles).
Whatev.
Now I'm at FA/SB where I don't have to worry about leadership issues.

No blame game, either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back