Service & Engagement Squaretrade being pushed on furniture, toothbrush heads, and other silly items

Has anyone else noticed the increasing number of items requiring the guest to "Opt In" or "Opt Out" of Squaretrade product protection? Some time ago, I noticed SQ being sold on some baby supplies, bicycles and electric toothbrush heads, but now it's showing up on furniture and a bunch of non-electrical non-electronic stuff. For many years, one of the best things about shopping at Target was there wasn't pressure on guests to purchase add-on "protection plans", now it's starting to proliferate. I fear that at some point, Advocates and their ETLs are going to be required encouraged to reach quotas goals for selling Squaretrade plans.

What's the most ridiculous item for you've seen Target sell Squaretrade protection?

Yes I definitely have noticed this. Many more home items have a square trade plan to them. Recently noticed the prompt pop up when I scanned a decorative PILLOW. It doesn’t make sense but it isn’t as weird as the disposable razor+blades. Those always had a 2 year protection plan option for it which always baffled me because you shouldn’t even be using the same blade for that long. I don’t even bother asking the guest if they’d like one when it shows up for something stupid like that.

Has anyone else noticed the increasing number of items requiring the guest to "Opt In" or "Opt Out" of Squaretrade product protection? Some time ago, I noticed SQ being sold on some baby supplies, bicycles and electric toothbrush heads, but now it's showing up on furniture and a bunch of non-electrical non-electronic stuff. For many years, one of the best things about shopping at Target was there wasn't pressure on guests to purchase add-on "protection plans", now it's starting to proliferate. I fear that at some point, Advocates and their ETLs are going to be required encouraged to reach quotas goals for selling Squaretrade plans.

What's the most ridiculous item for you've seen Target sell Squaretrade protection?

Just ask Wells Fargo how the quotas worked for them.

squaretrade isnt owned by target so there won’t be any goal-setting or anything

its just free money for them which is why they offer it so extensively

Have you noticed squaretrade now being pushed on furniture???

This is getting really silly. The new registers don't give an audible warning about the squaretrade question. On some products the protection plan is inexpensive but on some furnishings it's almost as expensive as the items. It just seems plain silly.

This is getting really silly. The new registers don't give an audible warning about the squaretrade question. On some products the protection plan is inexpensive but on some furnishings it's almost as expensive as the items. It just seems plain silly.
Ck the new terms given to electronics, last month. I love getting one on a switch carrying case.

One came up for a guy buying a car seat the other day. For electronic elements or some shit...on an item that doesn't have anything electronic. He agreed to it when the cashier asked.

I'm pretty sure he was stoned. He wasn't super with it and couldn't remember where he'd parked his car, either.

It is embarrassing when I have to ask on small area rugs and mats. I guess Allstate has to make up for all those good drivers getting 40% off their car insurance.
This happened to me last weekend. The lady asked what it covered and when I looked I saw that it covered electrical elements or something. I told her that it covered the wiring in her rug. She thought about it for a second and said no. This is how I amuse myself at Target these days.

Squaretrade covers furniture. If you move a desk and it starts falling apart or coming loose. Added bonus that they don't make you send in a desk, you just get a gift card.

Squaretrade covers furniture. If you move a desk and it starts falling apart or coming loose. Added bonus that they don't make you send in a desk, you just get a gift card.
I wish, though, it was clear what it covered. Because when the guest asks and the screen says electrical, I don’t always have the brain power to spin it into something that makes sense. I could look it up. I’m just being cranky and lazy.

Mine gives an audible alert. If it’s something stupid most GAs at my store including me won’t even ask, just hit no thanks. I’m not asking a guest if they want a protection plan on a pillow, sorry target

I wish, though, it was clear what it covered. Because when the guest asks and the screen says electrical, I don’t always have the brain power to spin it into something that makes sense. I could look it up. I’m just being cranky and lazy.
So it covers wear and tear and general malfunction but not anything intentional.

I don't remember the item, but it was cheapish ($80ish?) and I rattled off the protection plan spiel while my finger hovered on k8. The woman wanted it! It was $20! I had a look of shock on my face that she could see because of my mask. I asked her is she was sure and she said yes. Crazy people. Someone once told me that you don't need a protection plan if you can afford to replace the item easily. I more or less follow that rule.

This is as bad as seeing Ice Tea on tv talking about a warranty plan to fix shit on his car when it breaks down. People need to realize when you give someone cash and they give you a promise on a piece of paper, you just got reamed, because their promise is the bird in some far off bush vs the cash you just HAD in your hand. Bye bye birdie.

Efff insurance companies.

Bahaha at that Ice T commercial, right?
I don't believe Ice T uses Carshield auto warranty any more than I believe Tanya Harding uses Direct Auto Insurance because, "they don't care about your past."

It would be like Tom Brady doing a commercial for air pumps because WE ALL KNOW HE DOESN'T INFLATE HIS BALLS.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh!"- Andrew Dice Clay

Back