I'm Lost! Starting in infant clothing/style

I start tomorrow on the salesfloor in infants style section does anyone have any specific advice for working there, tips/tricks from experience? Thanks.

Walk through a few times to learn the layout. Brands will be placed in certain areas, the division between NB-18 mos will likely be separate from 12 mos-5T even in the same brand.

Learn where to find the sewn in dpci tag on each clothing type, or if a particular brand even has one.

I haven't worked in a few months, but see if socks, undershirts, and underwear are still in baby hardlines, guests would search for those in NIT and needed redirected.

Clearance will be a nightmare and will need frequent upkeep.

A lot of boys folded pants and girls folded pants seem the same but have subtle waistline differences. Learn those.

Watch for lost kids and make sure alone kids aren't lost. Little kids play hide and seek, it's what they do, and the racks make it easy for parent to go one way and kid the other. And some kids are like some adults and don't want to be a bother, so they won't say they are lost unless you ask them.

Watch for patterns in type and cut and color. When it comes time to replacing a piece of clothing taken from a mannequin or covering a bare spot in the racks, recognizing the style to blend in will make life much simpler.

Get a lesson on how to take apart and reassemble a mannequin. Nothing like not knowing how to get a clothing arm past the splayed hand while a guest is waiting. Also, guests will offer to help. Don't accept. They could break the mannequin, and if they get hurt helping you, there's liability.

Get a lesson on how to take apart and reassemble a mannequin. Nothing like not knowing how to get a clothing arm past the splayed hand while a guest is waiting. Also, guests will offer to help. Don't accept. They could break the mannequin, and if they get hurt helping you, there's liability.

This. Prepare yourself for the hell that is clothing the sitting baby mannequin

I haven't worked in a few months, but see if socks, undershirts, and underwear are still in baby hardlines, guests would search for those in NIT and needed redirected.

Cat & Jack socks/undies and license undies are in baby hardlines, there are some Hanes socks & underwear both in baby hardlines & baby softlines.

I'm the "style consultant" in my store for babies, let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to know

A lot of boys folded pants and girls folded pants seem the same but have subtle waistline differences. Learn those.
The DPCI # for most of Infant boys items starts with 033; infant girls items is 031. Easy to mix up if not looking at this number.

The DPCI # for most of Infant boys items starts with 033; infant girls items is 031. Easy to mix up if not looking at this number.
Dpci is easy for most of the brands, but it's a lot faster to look at the waistband differences. And faster is essential.

Yes, seriously. You have a pile of pants you are folding, and you need to separate out the ones that don't belong. Do you look at every tag on every pair, especially with those pants having the dpci on the inside portion of the tag fastened like a sandwich on the waistband, or do you simply know the cut and quickly split them up with a quick visual inspection?

It's like UT jeans. If you pay attention, you will learn different shades of color and different shades of stitching and that will be enough to group together most of the hanging jeans, quicker than grabbing all the tags and looking sequentially.

Nope - don't look at every tag. I've been in infants hanging for a while and can spot the difference between boy toddler and girl toddler jeans/shorts, and plain t-shirts by now.

Infants can be quite tedious work, so I agree, getting familiar with the product in your department is good advice for [U]lyred07[/U].

Good luck, lyred07 and welcome to Target !

I work as a seasonal gm in this section and in the baby dept, let me tell you right now... its a a disaster. Clothes are not
Put in the correct place almost 80% of the time, some of the clothes are missing the pog hanger so they go no where? Some of the brands are with different brands... i just did clothes repacks my first time a day ago and i almost died.. my ocd was killing me!! Check the doci, check the tag on the pog, use ur zebra, if u get too lost ask your tm or your tl. Good luck!

Back