Archived Steps to finding and pulling an item for a guest in the backroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new to Target and have been shown a couple of different ways to find an item in the backroom for a guest. I have been shown how to do it, but haven't actually done it on my own and I'm a little confused. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Should I use the SUBT command? What are the exact steps I need to take to find the item and pull it out of the system? Help would be appreciated!

LOC and the Item Search functions are to be used to find an item on the floor or backroom. But for store safety sake, I would suggest talking to your ETLs and Backroom TL about getting trained on pulling from the backroom. Many stores have closed backrooms where only trained TMs are allowed to pull from the back.

Its very easy to learn, but it also is very easy to screw up.

If you are planning to work Electronics and areas of the Salesfloor with high demand. Then you will want to inquire with your store about getting properly trained.

Depending on your store, you should be utilizing the backroom team members for guest pulls. Most stores frown upon non-backroom certified team members pulling as it can screw up their scores if someone makes a mistake.

However, if you just like to get things done without waiting and your store doesn't care:
Scan the item in item search.
If it has a backroom location, go to it.
Make sure the item is actually there, toggle to SUBT, scan the item, hit 1 for SF/Guest Request, then scan the location and enter the quantity.
If it is a casepack, pull the entire thing and fill the floor. Open case packs are backstocked differently so you shouldn't be opening boxes and pulling 1 out.

Now should the item be something you can't reach and there isn't a ladder, you're SOL and need a backroom team member or LOD if they aren't available. Always give Backroom a minute to respond, their hands are usually full. Generally meet them in the stockroom to grab the product, cuts down time for both of you. The only other bit is explaining to the guest it may take a few moments or x amount of time if you have a rough idea.

If you find yourself often needing to pull the items yourself, ask to get backroom trained.

I am a backroom team member. My TL always wants to show me how to do certain functions on his PDA but doesn't let me actually do it on my own so that I retain and learn it (hence, the thread.) I know to put in 49 and then the DPCI (when given a DPCI over a walkie from someone on the sales floor), but I'm not sure what program I should be in to do this.

Last edited:
What ever you do, don't pull from the backroom unless you have permission from the ETLs or Backroom TL, or you have been trained and passed off to pull from the back. Its to cover your butt and your store.

There should be one more VERY IMPORTANT prompt concerning last items in backroom locations. When you pull an item, and it asks you if it is the last of this item in this location. Make absolutely sure that it is or isn't the last item and input in the PDA before walking away. I have known many TMs who input it wrong or forget about zeroing out the location. And it ends up screwing up counts.

My last store was so two faced. By district standards we were closed backroom, but since we were so Low Volume and the backroom TM was always busy or gone, ETLs would say go ahead pull what you need but never took the initiative to properly train TMs.

Last edited:
to pull an item:

toggle into RF apps, when ready type in SUBT and hit enter, than it will ask you if its for a guest/salesfloor request or damaged, SELECT GUEST/SALESFLOOR REQUEST.

there are two ways to pull it now...
1. lets say a salesfloor tm needs something pulled and they have the DPCI...under SUBT, type in 49, and then type in the DPCI they give you and press enter, if there is NO LOCATIONS, it will not show you any locations, and if there is locations, it will give you locations that the item is in, no need to search for it under LOC its a waist of time. then just simply go to that location and scan the location, type in the quantity pulled and thats it, MAKE SURE YOUR PULLING THE RIGHT ITEM! (if the item dosent have the pic label on it, just remember the DPCI that the person gave you, hit return, and keep scanning the items that are in the location it took you too til you find the right DPCI, thats what i do.)

2. the other way to pull an item is when you are under SUBT, just go to the location, scan the item, type in the quantity pulled, and thats it!

since you are new, dont make any decisions yourself, if you dont understand something make sure to ask somebody.

backroom is hard at first to learn, my TL did the same thing when training me, if you need any help with something, just send me a message and ile help you out.

Last edited:
Thank you for this! It explains a lot. I think I was getting confused when I typed in 49 and the DPCI and no locations showed up. I didn't know that meant there was nothing in stock. Sure wish my TL would explain things a little better!

Since you are not backroom certified, I would follow these steps:

1) Switch the channel on your walkie to the same as your backroom tm's
2)Push the button
3)Ask a certified backroom tm to pull your item.

The OP is a new backroom team member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back